Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 04-24-2009, 05:39 PM

I'm struggling with getting the Broadcom BCM94312MCG that came with my Mini 9 working with OS X. Anyone else have similar problems, or even better, a solution?
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 04-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanstoppable
I'm struggling with getting the Broadcom BCM94312MCG that came with my Mini 9 working with OS X. Anyone else have similar problems, or even better, a solution?
What problems are you having? Mine worked just fine after a -v boot after initial install.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM

It don't work. AirPort wouldn't turn on. I've actually since re-installed XP as mentioned here as a fix, but it won't even work in XP now. I've called Dell and they're sending a new wireless card, so maybe it's a HW problem. We'll see. Though I never tried -v at boot. I used -f. I'll put that on my list of things to try if the new wireless card doesn't fix things.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 04-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Closing the loop on my question and putting what I learned here in case someone else comes by with a similar problem. Somehow I managed to disable the radio in XP when I first got my Mini9. I vaguely remember mucking around with the utility and then forgot about it. My OSX install worked but no WiFi. I re-installed XP and tried to enable the radio as mentioned in this thread. When it wouldn't work, I even had Dell send me a new wireless card (the same exact Broadcom one, it turns out). I finally found the correct driver to enable the radio in XP thanks to another thread here and once I had WiFi on and working in XP, I re-tried the OSX install and it worked flawlessly. WiFI and even Bluetooth work in OSX like they were born to do it.

I hope this helps someone else. In short, it is not the Broadcom BCM94312MCG wireless card. I can confirm that it does work in OSX. It was the need to enable the radio in XP, which somehow doesn't work in OSX if it had been previously disabled.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 04-30-2009, 10:36 PM

The atheros card that comes in an old EEE works great. I just swapped mine a few minutes ago, no problems.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 05-01-2009, 04:43 PM

The Intel 5300 works great in my Mini even without the third antenna...

That said, I am sure that someday in the future I will add a third if for nothing else, but because the option to do so is there...
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Hello,
I asked this question in another thread, but I'm going to ask again:

Broadcom website states that the bcm94312mcg supports Bluetooth on chip. Dell perhaps neutered the firmware on the adapter? This screenshot from my XP installation is the Broadcom Advanced config page in Device Manager clearly showing a setting for "Bluetooth Collaboration"

@hanstoppable: You mentioned Bluetooth worked under OSX. Did it work for you under XP?

Mini910 = 512MB mem/8GB SSD/N270@1.6GHz/Broadcom Wireless(p/n N204H) BIOS A05; WindowsXP Pro SP3/MVPs.org hosts file : I look at the interweb, but the interweb don't look at me. Opera 10 is coming 8-) Can your browser pass the Acid test?
  (#18) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 05-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad-bE
Hello,
I asked this question in another thread, but I'm going to ask again:

Broadcom website states that the bcm94312mcg supports Bluetooth on chip. Dell perhaps neutered the firmware on the adapter? This screenshot from my XP installation is the Broadcom Advanced config page in Device Manager clearly showing a setting for "Bluetooth Collaboration"

@hanstoppable: You mentioned Bluetooth worked under OSX. Did it work for you under XP?
Code:
Bluetooth Collaboration
Bluetooth Collaboration enables general purpose input/output transmit suppression protocol between the IEEE 802.11 media access control (MAC) and an external Bluetooth chip to minimize transmit interference. Bluetooth Collaboration is enabled by default.
Enable (default)
Disable
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/n ... tm#1298310

The Dell Wireless Mini-PCIe WLAN has no bluetooth chip. The Advance properties setting is explained above as to reduce interference between an external bluetooth and 802.11 which both operate at 2.4GHz!

(#19) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM

@somms: Thanks for your reply. Still not compehending why Dell wouldn't take advantage of Bluetooth on Broadcom adapter chip. Have you seen this page? I am I reading the features incorrectly? Also, how do you find info like that on Dell's site? :envy: What other little nuggets to be gleaned from obfuscated website??

p.s. what do you know of FAA?? I worked with Raytheon at PHL in 2003 upgrading radar systems. Simply amazing system

Mini910 = 512MB mem/8GB SSD/N270@1.6GHz/Broadcom Wireless(p/n N204H) BIOS A05; WindowsXP Pro SP3/MVPs.org hosts file : I look at the interweb, but the interweb don't look at me. Opera 10 is coming 8-) Can your browser pass the Acid test?
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 compatible network cards - 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM

From the look of the information on the Broadcom site, the BCM4312 doesn't actually include Bluetooth capability. It can, however, integrate with another Bluetooth chip easily. That's likely what the PCIe MiniCard Bluetooth Combo is - the BCM4312 with some other Broadcom Bluetooth chip, both on one circuit board.

Bluetooth Collaboration, I believe, refers to the ability to coexist with Bluetooth radios, since both Bluetooth and 802.11b/g use the 2.4GHz ISM band.