Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old

Default 1012 Memory Upgrade problem - 06-13-2010, 03:46 AM

I just got my dell mini 1012 and bought 2gb of memory for it. It's the same brand as whats in the computer and has all the correct specs. However, when I install it, the computer starts up, but after the initial screen i get a BSOD and it restarts. When I put the original 1gb stick in, everything works fine.

I was able to check the bios before the BSOD and it said 2048mb of memory installed. Am I forgetting to do something or is my memory bad?
  (#2) Old

Default 06-13-2010, 05:59 AM

I've upgraded many 1012s to 2gb and have never done anything but plug them in. If they are plugged in incorrectly, the system will not boot at all so if you're getting to the POST and BSOD after the POST is sounds like the memory is bad. What are the exact specs of the memory you purchased?
  (#3) Old

Default 06-13-2010, 03:00 PM

I haven't received my 1012 yet, but some dell BIOS' will let you do a memory scan. If not, you can always try and boot a Linux Live CD. If you can get it to boot, most of them have a memory check utility built in. You could then test the memory that way. (or google for a stand-alone memory checking program that you could burn to a CD to boot from)

sivartk
Dell Mini 1012 (Wal-Mart Special)
Dell Inspiron 9200
Dell Inspiron 640m
Dell Studio 540s
Dell Vostro 220s
  (#4) Old

Default 06-13-2010, 03:52 PM

It's 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 memory, Hynix brand, just like whats in there.

I have horrible luck with memory. I had almost the exact same problem with another laptop that I upgraded many years ago. I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I'm just plugging memory into the same slot, very carefully I might add.

Well I'll just return it and get something else I guess.
  (#5) Old

Default 06-15-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpistol View Post
It's 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667 memory, Hynix brand, just like whats in there.

I have horrible luck with memory. I had almost the exact same problem with another laptop that I upgraded many years ago. I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I'm just plugging memory into the same slot, very carefully I might add.

Well I'll just return it and get something else I guess.
That one should work without problems. I really believe that if it will post but goes no further, then the stick is bad. I've NEVER seen one not boot with a PC2-5300 stick of any kind and I've done over 20 of these.
  (#6) Old

Default 06-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspears View Post
That one should work without problems. I really believe that if it will post but goes no further, then the stick is bad. I've NEVER seen one not boot with a PC2-5300 stick of any kind and I've done over 20 of these.
Do you notice a significant increase in performance/speed when upgrading to 2gb on the 1012? is it worth the $50?
  (#7) Old

Default 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM

I just upgraded my 1012 (BestBuy) memory (see signature for type) and swapped out the HD for an OCX Vertex 64GB SSD I had on the shelf. Watch the videos available, it was an easy install.

It was a good upgrade. It seems to be a bit more responsive.

Windows 7 does boot faster with the SSD.

I put Win 7 Ultimate on to see how it would run. No problems at all. The only thing, Ultimate didn't load a driver for was the card reader. Easily fixed though.

Then i did a factory install with the restore disks from Dell. That didn't go the way I thought it should, but the Netbook is back to factory software installed. It was just a pain in the arse to parse through the Dell Driver disk.

UnBu..., EasyPeasy and some other distro (the name escapes me...lol) all run great on this netbook. I'm looking forward tot he new Eeebuntu coming out in a week or so.

I'm looking into the screen upgrade at the moment. Mostly to gain the experience for client support.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Just to add.........the upgrade took 10 minutes start to finish.

BestBuy retail Dell 1012/ Crucial Vostro 2GB (CTVOS2GBN2S806C) /60GB OCX SSD/3150 Graphics, 1366x768 (From Bliss Computers), 1397 Wifi, Win 7 Ultimate.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-16-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossisiegel View Post
Do you notice a significant increase in performance/speed when upgrading to 2gb on the 1012? is it worth the $50?
That's a pretty common question on this forum and I've answered it a few times in the past. I say that to point out that my answer has changed a little bit. I used to say that it was useful if you did a lot of multitasking. But now I really believe it's worth it in general. Especially since it's so much easier to do on the 1012. Win 7 handles memory pretty well but still once you get windows loaded and run a browser, email and something else it starts to chug because it's swapping out to the swap file on the hard disk. That's a problem on these netbooks because the hard drive is only spinning at 5400 and doesn't transfer data real quickly. So if you can keep as much stuff in memory as possible the netbook feels much quicker.

I guess that means that now I'd have to say it is definitely worth it. Especially if you are going to use your netbook as a computer and not just browse once in a while and maybe check email once a week.
  (#9) Old

Default 06-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossisiegel View Post
only if u use it as a ramdisk, i've never actually use more than 700MB of ram
  (#10) Old

Default 09-17-2010, 04:07 PM

Have you upgraded the memory on your "Walmart special"? I have one and wanted to see if you have any tips. Thanks.