Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Won't Boot - 12-25-2010, 05:23 PM

Before I start this, I want to begin by saying this is 100% my fault.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'll begin.
I got a Dell Mini 10v (1011) netbook for christmas today, and had the flash drive fully prepared with Snow Leopard 10.6 and the proper Netbookbootmaker. Once I installed it and everything was working, I should've left it at that. But no, I decided to update it. I went to the google code site and downloaded the NetbookInstaller 0.85pre. I ran it, and while running it, I realized I was running the wrong one, and really wanted NetbookInstaller 0.84. I canceled the currently running NBI 0.85pre. It had mounted three disks to my desktop, which I force ejected. (except for the "Netbook Installer" disk that wouldn't eject. I then restarted the netbook, and was greeted by the infamous "The Hibernate image is too old by xxx. After that, I received a screen with several errors, and the message that "You need to restart your computer" in several languages. If there is a fix for this, I'd be ever so grateful. If you need the specific error message given, I'd be happy to provide you with that. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

-Connor
  (#2) Old

Default 12-25-2010, 05:59 PM

It might be easier to just start over. If you're only running osx, create another partition, then when installing nbi choose to NOT have quiet boot, then ccclone or superduper clone your working install. This will allow you to mess up and recover your work. You probably would have been o.k. with 85pre, but you messed up stopping the install. If you do have the ability to boot in safe mode (-x), it might start up, but I think most of the nbi versions have quiet boot enabled.
  (#3) Old

Default 12-25-2010, 06:42 PM

thanks for the quick reply. Because I had no valuable files on the hdd, I simply partitioned it and reinstalled snow leopard. However, now I've got everything up an running on 10.6, but I wanna update it. How exactly do I do this so I can avoid any future incidents like the previous one? Thanks in advance

-Connor

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

**edit
Moments after writing my last post, I was surfing on mymacnetbook.com (irrelevant) and an error message came up, telling me I had to hold the power button to restart my computer (in several languages) is this normal?
  (#4) Old

Default 12-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Seriously create partition, clone a copy to new partition. Then re-run nbi without quiet boot. This will allow you to boot to different partitions. Then download COMBO 10.6.5 update. Run combo update, don't restart, run 85pre,then reboot. If it takes 30 minutes or more, let it. Sometimes these take a long time and seem not to work. But the clone will at least keep you from having to re and re install. The nbi before 85pre works with 10.6.5, but 85pre worked for me.
  (#5) Old

Default 12-25-2010, 07:04 PM

I created a new partition, but how do I clone it? And which NBI do I run without quiet boot?
  (#6) Old

Default 12-25-2010, 08:36 PM

Get CCC @ Carbon Copy Cloner - Home. It's donateware. Rerun the 83 or 84 nbi. When it comes up you can uncheck quiet boot, in the nbi install options. You can re run nbi on top of the one you have. Use CCC to clone your boot partition to the new partition. Then reboot to new partition to check that it's bootable too. Then proceed with 85pre then 10.6.5 combo then don't reboot but do 85pree again, for good measure, then reboot. Re-clone new 10.6.5 updated partition That should be it.
  (#7) Old

Default 12-26-2010, 01:38 AM

None of those NBI's will give you a fully working system on 10.6.5, you need to use this one only for that! I prefer SuperDuper for cloning, but both work well.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#8) Old

Default 12-26-2010, 01:41 AM

85pre gave me a full working system
  (#9) Old

Default 12-26-2010, 02:38 AM

Yeah, im with him ^^. followed your instructions and worked perfectly!! thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. Hope you all had a merry christmas!

-Connor
  (#10) Old

Default 12-26-2010, 02:43 AM

Congrats, now get an external drive and clone over there, and your safe forever! Merry Christmas to you, too!

Tags
dell mini, hackintosh, hibernate error, no boot