Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default PLEASE HELP!! My Mini 10v is stuck in some kind of start-up loop [VIDEO INCLUDED]! - 06-30-2011, 01:56 AM

Hey guys. So, a couple days ago, I purchased a Sewell HDdeck USB to HDMI so that I could stream movies, listen to music, and browse the web all in HD on my new HDTV. Before I could do this though, I needed to install the drivers for this hardware. Since the 10v has no cd drive, I placed the driver .dmg file on my external and installed it accordingly onto my 10v. Upon completion of installation, it prompted me to restart the computer, so I clicked "OK". Then the screen just goes to the desktop image with all other icons and toolbar options hidden and sits there and does nothing for a long time. So, I eventually hit "escape" to bring up the window where it asks if I want to "Restart, Put To Sleep, or Shutdown" the machine. I select "Shutdown" and wait. Nothing happens no matter how many times I prompt the computer to do so. So then I manually shut it down by pressing and holding the power button. After waiting 10 seconds, I start my 10v up again only to find it in this eternal loop of going from the Dell Mini start-up page (where it shows the status bar loading) to the screen with the Apple (but no spinning circle). It just keeps doing this, over and over and over. So, I decided to just try to re-install the entire Snow Leopard OS. I reformatted my external hard drive correctly, plugged it in, told my 10v to read from "USB Storage" in the bios and restarted it again. Nothing. Simply will not read from the external and now I have a laptop that is stuck in an eternal loop. Could anybody please tell me how I might be able to bypass this or force it to re-install the operating system? Video for download is included below, displaying what happens upon start-up of my machine. Thanks in advance!

http://www.filedropper.com/movieon2011-06-29at2135
  (#2) Old

Default 07-01-2011, 08:59 PM

Hold the shift key at the gray screen will let you boot into Chameloen bootloader.

Then type in "recovery=yes" to boot into safe mode. Fix your mach_kernel and install SleepEnabler.ext from Nawcom

 MINI 9 | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | BT | 16GB STEC SSD | OSX 10.6.8 (NBI 2351+Legacy Kernel+SleepEnabler)
  (#3) Old

Default 07-02-2011, 03:26 AM

Holding shift at the gray screen does not work. It simply ignores all key commands and keeps on with its looping duties. This becoming a real problem.
  (#4) Old

Send a message via AIM to moxiepurple Send a message via Yahoo to moxiepurple
Default 07-02-2011, 04:20 AM

I am having the same start up loop, but it happened to me after I upgraded to the latest version of iTunes. When I press enter or shift I can choose to go to my hard drive or the mac os install dvd (the SD card that I used to put the Mac OS on this computer in the first place.)

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Oh I forgot to say, when I try to boot up with the SD card that has Mac OS on it, I get the Mac equivalent of a BSOD that says: "panic(cpu 0 caller 0x1b58d8ac): "Unsupported CPU: family = 0x6, model 0x1c, stepping = 0x2" ... and there is much more.

I don't know everything, but I am aware of much. -Goethe
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to moxiepurple Send a message via Yahoo to moxiepurple
Default 07-02-2011, 09:55 AM

WOOHOO I got mine to work again!

It is almost 5 am and I have been messing with this for a while, so I will try to explain everything I did, hopefully in the right order.

What I did was to plug in the SD card that I used to put OSX on the computer in the first place, when the Dell splash screen is up press F12 for Boot Options, then I chose USB Storage. A grey screen with Mac 10v (my HDD) and Mac OSX Install DVD (my SD card) came up and I chose the install DVD, then the grey screen with the Apple on it came up, I crossed my fingers, and the loading pinwheel thing showed up after a while. Then a white box asking me if I want to install OSX came up, but I chose to go to Utilities across the top, open up Disk Utility and tried to repair the HD and repair the permissions, upon restart things were still in an infinite startup loop, so I went back to the install screen and said eff it and re-installed OSX, it took probably 45 minutes, BUT the best part is once it was done the computer restarted normally, and everything was just as it had been before the computer got jacked up...oh and iTunes was updated. haha

Sorry for not being more technical about my little how to, but I'm not as computer savvy as I wish I were, and my geeky husband has been asleep for hours now, and I really wanted my laptop to work again. So, hopefully this works for you and anyone else that has this problem. I'm going to bed feeling smug and pleased with myself.

I don't know everything, but I am aware of much. -Goethe