3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Default What sims can I use to get wwan in the UK? - 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM

I might be getting hold of a mini fully fitted out with an official dell wwan card and all the leads etc already installed (i.e. a mini with a wwan slot, and a card).

This might be a dumb question but I was wondering what sims I could use to actually get connected to the internet, in the UK.

Pay as you go ones would be ideal, or pay upfront monthly, I really wouldn't want a contract.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#2) Old

Default 07-05-2009, 08:56 PM

I was not able to get the Dell Wireless Manager to find my WWAN card with Windows 7 RC so I tried a PAYG three SIM card but it didn't work with VMC (I am currently using a USB modem with this sim card) so I've ordered a Vodafone 3G PAYG sim card for a couple of pounds off eBay and I will try that this week. I only want to use 3G occasionally which is why I want to get PAYG 3G sim card working with the Dell 5530 wireless card.

- Simon.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#3) Old

Default 07-06-2009, 10:41 AM

I'm using the WWAN module in OSX and although its has limited functionality (like no SMS) its unlocked and I have used both my iPhone O2 Sim and a Vodafone Sim with no problems.

Dell Mini 9 | Black | A05 | OS X 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | 2GB RAM | 64GB RunCore SSD | 8GB SDHC | Dell 5530 3G | 0.3mP webcam

Advent 4211 | Black / Silver | MSI Bios | OS X 10.5.7 | 2GB RAM | 250GB 7200RPM | Dell 1390 Wi-Fi | 0.3mP webcam | 6 Cell 5200mAh
  (#4) Old

Default 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookheather View Post
I was not able to get the Dell Wireless Manager to find my WWAN card with Windows 7 RC so I tried a PAYG three SIM card but it didn't work with VMC (I am currently using a USB modem with this sim card) so I've ordered a Vodafone 3G PAYG sim card for a couple of pounds off eBay and I will try that this week. I only want to use 3G occasionally which is why I want to get PAYG 3G sim card working with the Dell 5530 wireless card.

- Simon.
Please post how you get on with the Vodafone card! I am still deciding which sim to go with.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#5) Old

Default 07-20-2009, 11:04 AM

I bought a cheap 3 SIM over the weekend and have been fairly surprised by the speed so far on my Mini 9 Hackintosh.

At the house I speedtested just a shade over 250kbps, but on the train into London was hitting over 1.7mbps.

While I would love a better monitor than the standard OSX connection monitor, it works well and my speeds are good. The deal from 3 wasn't bad either, £15 pm, no contract, 3 gb of bandwidth.

Geoffrey
  (#6) Old

Send a message via MSN to rhyker Send a message via Skype™ to rhyker
Default 09-20-2009, 10:39 AM

so I don't need the dongle? Cause that's what it says on three.co.uk site
  (#7) Old

Default 09-20-2009, 12:38 PM

Naa, just pop the SIM out of the dongle and put it into your internal modem.

Only bummer is that the 3Connect SW (which has a nice signal meter and SMS tools) won't work unless your using the dongle.
  (#8) Old

Default 09-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyker View Post
so I don't need the dongle? Cause that's what it says on three.co.uk site
If you have a WWAN module in your Mini 9 (or other Dell Mini) then you don't need to use the dongle - just the SIM. (The SIM slot is visible when you remove the battery)

The Dell WWAN module is not locked to Vodafone and will work with any 3G Data enabled SIM AIUI - though if you're using an original XP install you might need to replace the Vodafone software with some other stuff (I don't know - I'm using OS X and waiting to get my hands on a WWAN enabled Mini)
  (#9) Old

Default 09-23-2009, 07:03 PM

I have just got my hands on a UK Dell Mini 9 with WWAN module. It came with Windows XP and the Dell Connection Manager (not sure if this had been loaded to replace any Vodafone software). I put the T-Mobile SIM I use with my Huawei E220 Web'n'Walk USB dongle into the Mini 9 and it worked with no changes required. I then switched to OS X and with the right modem driver script it also worked with no extra stuff (not even an APN) needed. Very chuffed! Am off to Stockholm this weekend and plan to buy a Comviq or Tre (aka Three) Pay and Go Data SIM and use that whilst I'm there! Fingers crossed! (Most difficult bit of the process was getting the screws out of the stock 8GB SSD in the new Mini to swap in the 32GB Runcore SSD with OSX from my previous non-WWAN Mini 9!)
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default 09-24-2009, 04:47 PM

I believe that in the U.K. Dell, or rather Vodafone, are currently only offering a 'free' two month trial period.

What I am hoping to do though is to replace the SIM in my new Mini 10v with the one from my BT dongle. This is also a Vodafone SIM, and BT were kind enough to give me a 1GB/month data allowance FREE for 18 months.... as well as the free dongle!

Has anyone else tried this, or know any reason why it should (or should not) work?

Thanks.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN