Dell Mini 1018 Forum for discussion on the refreshed Dell Mini 1018, released Q3 2010.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Rebeluser Rebeluser is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2012
Default Bricked Mini1018 Recovery - 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM

Hi All,

This is my first post. I hope it may be of some use to somebody.

I bricked my 1018 doing a BIOS update. Thanks to other posts on this site I got it back to life.

This is how I did it !!

I downloaded 'crisdisk', and the Dell BIOS A02 file.
I used a cheap 2Gb USB drive, because the recovery failed using a Kingston 4Gb drive.

I extracted the crisdisk file which gave me 10 files in the folder. I ran 'Wincris.exe' and pointed to my USB drive. This made a bootable USB recovery drive.

I then extracted the Dell BIOS update file, and found a file called 'pim10a02.rom', which I renamed to BIOS.WPH.

I copied this BIOS.WPH to the USB drive overwriting the existing BIOS.WPH on the drive.

Recovery Procedure

Remove Battery

Put the USB drive into the port on the left side of the 1018.

Press Fn & End (Top right on UK keyboard)(There is another End on the bottom right).

Keep holding both keys, and turn on Power Adaptor. The power light & the USB light will both come on, and the 1018 will begin to bleep loudly. The USB drive light flickers while booting, and the bleeping continues for several minutes.

Finally it will give 1 long bleep and turn off. My 1018 power light came on, but nothing happened.

I Left it for 10 - 15 minutes, and still nothing.

So, I shut off the power, put the Battery, and reconnected the AC power, and pressed the on/off switch, and it then booted up

Last edited by Rebeluser; 06-14-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
rrfranczak3 rrfranczak3 is offline
Super Moderator
 
rrfranczak3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,902
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate New York, U.S of A.
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Exclamation 06-15-2012, 01:41 AM

glad you got it fixed, but not for nothing but the next time just leave the BIOS alone, everyone has to have the LATEST of EVERYTHING....ya know what?... most BIOS upgrades usually dont need to be done and if it works leave it alone.....there are hundreds of posts on this site about bricked machines due to BIOS upgrade attempts.....I hope you learned.............

PS. Welcome to the forum..


Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
avdady avdady is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Aug 2012
Default Big Thank You - 08-12-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeluser View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post. I hope it may be of some use to somebody.

I bricked my 1018 doing a BIOS update. Thanks to other posts on this site I got it back to life.

This is how I did it !!

I downloaded 'crisdisk', and the Dell BIOS A02 file.
I used a cheap 2Gb USB drive, because the recovery failed using a Kingston 4Gb drive.

I extracted the crisdisk file which gave me 10 files in the folder. I ran 'Wincris.exe' and pointed to my USB drive. This made a bootable USB recovery drive.

I then extracted the Dell BIOS update file, and found a file called 'pim10a02.rom', which I renamed to BIOS.WPH.

I copied this BIOS.WPH to the USB drive overwriting the existing BIOS.WPH on the drive.

Recovery Procedure

Remove Battery

Put the USB drive into the port on the left side of the 1018.

Press Fn & End (Top right on UK keyboard)(There is another End on the bottom right).

Keep holding both keys, and turn on Power Adaptor. The power light & the USB light will both come on, and the 1018 will begin to bleep loudly. The USB drive light flickers while booting, and the bleeping continues for several minutes.

Finally it will give 1 long bleep and turn off. My 1018 power light came on, but nothing happened.

I Left it for 10 - 15 minutes, and still nothing.

So, I shut off the power, put the Battery, and reconnected the AC power, and pressed the on/off switch, and it then booted up
I just wane say big thank You to you.....
i been searching 5 days even more to fix this problem try 100 things buy usb flash which i already had 8gb buy floppy driver . oooo to much head-ac each comments was saying need floppy driver . but here u finally i follow ur post and i done it successful .
i just put the laptop away that much i was tired of it.
but again wane say thank you big thank you u save me and my time ..
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
rrfranczak3 rrfranczak3 is offline
Super Moderator
 
rrfranczak3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,902
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate New York, U.S of A.
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Exclamation 08-12-2012, 01:11 AM

REPEAT...like I said above....next time just leave the BIOS alone, 9x out of 10x it DOESNT NEED to be done.......just my 0.02.....you are lucky you fixed it, many wind up with a very expensive paperweight or doorstop......

PS. Welcome to the forum....

BTW: Mine came with A10 BIOS over 3 yrs ago and it will stay that way until either it dies or I do....


Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 08-12-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
krisbutler krisbutler is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 12
Join Date: Aug 2009
Default 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM

Thanks for this- really saved my bacon today, after a working on a colleague's mini 1018... failed BIOS update, and the instructions above worked without fault.

Cheers matey!!
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
djs_dad djs_dad is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2012
Default 01-11-2013, 11:14 PM

Thanks for sharing OP! Like rrfranczak3 stressed, I will be leaving my BIOS alone. I've updated BIOS on my desktop a few times, no problems encountered. I wonder why we have so many failures with this netbook.
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
rrfranczak3 rrfranczak3 is offline
Super Moderator
 
rrfranczak3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,902
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate New York, U.S of A.
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-11-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_dad View Post
Thanks for sharing OP! Like rrfranczak3 stressed, I will be leaving my BIOS alone. I've updated BIOS on my desktop a few times, no problems encountered. I wonder why we have so many failures with this netbook.
at least some people listen to me



Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
djs_dad djs_dad is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 10
Join Date: Nov 2012
Talking 01-12-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post
at least some people listen to me

Only a fool would not heed the warning after 3 reported cases of BIOS flash failure.
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
rrfranczak3 rrfranczak3 is offline
Super Moderator
 
rrfranczak3's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,902
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate New York, U.S of A.
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_dad View Post
Only a fool would not heed the warning after 3 reported cases of BIOS flash failure.
3?do a search on the forum, I'll bet there are hundreds....


Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
desone01 desone01 is offline
Junior Member
 
desone01's Avatar
 
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brisbane Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to desone01
Default 03-14-2014, 11:27 PM

The moral of the story should be - never flash a bios from a usb stick. Always flash directly from the hard drive with the battery fully charged and the AC power outlet connected.


If you follow these simple steps you won't have any problems flashing your bios.


Dell Mini 1010 160GB hard drive
Dell Mini 1012 250GB hard drive 2GB RAM
Dell Mini 1018 1,000GB hard drive 2GB RAM
Dell XPS M1730 X9000 CPU NV M9800GTX 2GB video. 8 GB ram 256GB SSD & Seag hyb 750GB

Dell XPS M1730 X9000 CPU NV M9800 GTX 2GB video 4gb ram 256gb SSD & 200gb Hit hd
Dell XPS M1330 2.6ghz Seagate 750gb hd.
Dell XPS M1330 2.5ghz Western Dig 750GB hd.

Dell Studio XPS 1645 I7 840QM CPU 8GB Ram.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1018 bios recovery

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.