Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default OS X crashed, no flash drive, no Apple..what now? - 02-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Hi everyone, I recently bought a mini 10v with OS X already installed.
Today while I was trying to update Itunes, the OS updater also ran somehow. I'm not sure if it did automatically or I clicked a button to agree to it.

In either case OS X won't boot now. I'd like to reinstall it, but I don't have the flash drive with the install on it already, or an Apple to setup the flash drive for the install.

Has this happened to anyone else and you were able to restore 10.6.3 after the 10.6.6 update failed? Or is there an Apple emulator for PC that I could use to have disc utility set up the flash drive from a PC?

Is my only option to find someone with a mac and have them setup the flash drive? Is the install file available to download in a form I could place it on the flash drive via a PC?

Thanks!
  (#2) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 02:13 AM

Yup, you updated the operating system to 10.6.6. Try the instructions from this thread http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...te-thread.html and if that doesn't work, you will need at least an 8Gb Sandisk USB and a Retail version of Snow Leopard and start from scratch. Use one of these guides, and they need to be followed exactly. I think preparing the USB on a Mac is easiest, but thats all I've ever done.

Guides | OS X | mechdrew

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Last edited by Slothtyper; 02-12-2011 at 02:17 AM.
  (#3) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 02:38 AM

FYI ... Actually, updating iTunes (and possibly Safari) without updating the OS will sometimes create issues booting up. Either way, you're in a bad spot.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link: http://db.tt/4z2wwup
  (#4) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 01:02 PM

Install vmware on your windows pc (up to you to where to get it)
Get a copy of snow leopard (up to you to where to get it)

Follow this instruction to install snow leopard into vmware
w w w. ihackintosh.com/2009/12/install-snow-leopard-in-vmware-7-windows-edition/

Then follow this instruction to create a bootable 8gb usb stick
(For the "on the mac" section, you are actually doing this on your vmware mac, not on a real mac hardware)
o s x .mechdrew.com/guides/macusb_dellmini10v.shtml

(I'm not allowed to post links yet, so just fix my links above)
  (#5) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
FYI ... Actually, updating iTunes (and possibly Safari) without updating the OS will sometimes create issues booting up. Either way, you're in a bad spot.
Yeah, guess your right, doesn't sound like he was in Software Update but just iTunes.....

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Last edited by Slothtyper; 02-12-2011 at 04:18 PM.
  (#6) Old

Default 02-13-2011, 12:33 AM

I haven't had a chance to make it through all 51 pages in your link Sloth, but I'm chipping away at it as I get time.

I don't believe I was in software update either. I would usually notice something like that before just clicking blindly to go ahead with it. It was most likely the Itunes update that caused the panic.

I picked up a retail OS X disc today. I am going to try to run it with VMWARE on my windows comp, put the install on a 8gb microSD in my phone which acts as a card reader, and plug it in the USB port to see if the install will boot from that.

I really wish I was smart enough to make a backup while it was running. Doh.
  (#7) Old

Default 02-18-2011, 11:06 PM

OK, I've got 10.6.3 back via the OS X 10.6.3 Retail DVD-->USB no MAC guide.
I couldn't restore so a fresh install was the next best thing.

Everything is working so far except videos on youtube. The audio plays, but there is no video. It does play video on Vimeo though.