Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#1) Old

Default Installed 10.6 w/NBI.83RC4, updated to 10.6.2. No Sleep No internal audio from jack - 12-07-2009, 08:29 PM

OK so here is the rundown on my setup. I installed (with trial and error) SL from a retail disc via NBI 0.83 RC4 on to my Mini 9. Everything went perfectly fine, the installer didn't even fail. WiFi, Bluetooth (with on/off menu items working), Audio. The two things that still do not function, even after updating to 10.6.1, then 10.6.2 (I installed the OS, then updated to 6.1, then to 6.2) are sleep, this never functioned even with a clean boot of SL, and the headphone jack. I've come across forum items detailing fixes for NO audio (I do not have this problem, only internal audio jack), and after searching, nothing conclusive for a fix for sleep (maybe this isn't an issue with anyone else, and NBI didn't right this with my install). Anyway if you've got a fix for this, help me out. Thank you.

PS:

NBI 0.83 RC4 (this is the only thing added to Mac OS X, no other kexts or patchers where used)
  (#2) Old
Guru

Default 12-08-2009, 12:45 AM

The headphone and mic do not function now without adding additional kexts on the mini 9/Vostro A90. Hopefully the next RC of NBI will fix this.

Your sleep issue, is it when you select sleep from the menu, or when you close the lid, or both. Usually, if you disable USB Legacy in the BIOS the minis will sleep by closing the lid.

If you have changed the BIOS and it still won't sleep, you may need to boot up using your install USB stick and run NBI again from there and select install mini extensions. For some reason this doesn't always work the first time it is run.

You can try it in regular mode, but I usually have better luck running it the other way.

Some other tweaks and optimization information can be found here-
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/mac-...1-28-09-a.html

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#3) Old

Default 12-08-2009, 03:26 PM

I have a similar issue. I purchased an A90 on the black friday deal with upgraded Dell supplied 16GB SSD. I updated the RAM myself to 2GB using Crucial Vostro 2GB stick.

I installed off a retail DVD that had been imaged to an external USB disk. (I have 5 other Macs in the house, not all on SL though). I used NBI 0.8.3(RC4) on the USB install disk. When at 10.6.0 I ran NBI again and then used the combo update to go directly to 10.6.2. I ran NBI again after that.

The only thing I have updated is to add the SmartSleep system preferences pane and it is set to SLEEP only.

USB Legacy support is OFF in the BIOS (BT works with on / off -- when legacy was turned on then BT was always on)

I don't know about the sound jack. I don't care at the moment about that so have not tested it.

But while the machine will go to sleep (both by closing the lid and by choosing the sleep menu item), it won't come back on. When it goes to sleep, the little power LED starts to pulsate (not as nicely as on a Mac but ok, I won't complain ;-) ). When I open the lid the LED goes back to solid but the display stays off. I don't know if it is a display issue or if it is still asleep or crashed at this point. If I use the menu to sleep, I cannot get the pulsating to stop unless I give a quick momentary poke to the power button. Then the LED goes solid but the display is still off like when opening the lid.

The strange thing is that originally USB Legacy support was ON and I had these exact same sleep problems. Reading in these forums I turned off USB Legacy support and sleep started to work. A few times. Then it went back to its old behavior. I have not been in to the BIOS since I turned off USB Legacy support.

Chad

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadpengar View Post
USB Legacy support is OFF in the BIOS (BT works with on / off -- when legacy was turned on then BT was always on)

I don't know about the sound jack. I don't care at the moment about that so have not tested it.

But while the machine will go to sleep (both by closing the lid and by choosing the sleep menu item), it won't come back on. When it goes to sleep, the little power LED starts to pulsate (not as nicely as on a Mac but ok, I won't complain ;-) ). When I open the lid the LED goes back to solid but the display stays off. I don't know if it is a display issue or if it is still asleep or crashed at this point. If I use the menu to sleep, I cannot get the pulsating to stop unless I give a quick momentary poke to the power button. Then the LED goes solid but the display is still off like when opening the lid.

The strange thing is that originally USB Legacy support was ON and I had these exact same sleep problems. Reading in these forums I turned off USB Legacy support and sleep started to work. A few times. Then it went back to its old behavior. I have not been in to the BIOS since I turned off USB Legacy support.

Chad
OK, I must have ghosts. I went back in to the BIOS to confirm the USB Legacy Support was really off and it was enabled again. I don't know how as I have not been back to the BIOS since I originally turned off USB Legacy Support and sleep started working a few times before it started failing again... Very strange. But now USB Legacy Support is off and the machine wakes from sleep now again. And BT still has the on/off capability...

I will see how long it lasts ;-)

Chad
  (#4) Old
Guru

Default 12-09-2009, 12:44 AM

Chad,
Others have had issues with the BIOS resetting between boots.

You might try this-
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...tml#post120116

I have had my mini for almost a year, so I haven't had this issue. Looks like it is a bug in the NBI RC 4.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#5) Old

Default 12-09-2009, 11:24 PM

also, there is a bit on meklorts blog about running NBI after the 10.6.1 Update before running the 10.6.2 update. Restart in there too just to be sure.
  (#6) Old

Default 12-10-2009, 04:01 AM

Thanks! Running the 082 NBI and then the 083RC4 NBI worked to solve the sticky (or non-sticky) BIOS settings and so now it wakes from sleep fine.

Don't know about the audio jack/mic jack as I don't care about those currently...

Thanks!
Chad