Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default Mag Safe in Mini9? - 08-22-2009, 04:46 PM

How sick would that be?

Has anyone done it?

I mean there's this: DIY Magsafe Connector for Any Notebook | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

but is there anyway to put a real magsafe in it? I couldn't find the female side of it online anywhere, I would not at all mind buying another power adapter.

Anyone want to dream with me on this?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-22-2009, 04:57 PM

If by "real" you mean Apple's, then no, as that's patented by Apple and not available elsewhere. You also could not use Apple's power supply as it "talks to" the Macbook and the voltage may be different.

The one you link to is something I would never do - it's singularly ugly and takes up too much space.

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 08-22-2009, 05:57 PM

so aside from scrapping a perfectly good macbook,

oh well. never hurts to dream I guess
  (#4) Old

Default 08-24-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
If by "real" you mean Apple's, then no, as that's patented by Apple and not available elsewhere. You also could not use Apple's power supply as it "talks to" the Macbook and the voltage may be different.

The one you link to is something I would never do - it's singularly ugly and takes up too much space.
I've read their patent claims. If Apple tries to sue anyone (including their multi-touch patent), they will end up loosing it...

OT, I don't think there is any information transaction going on between the power connectors at all. It is just bi-directional in the sense that there is no up or down to the connector.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-24-2009, 09:45 PM

i don't know what the mini 9 runs off power wise. i think it's like 19 volts which i think wouldn't fly with the white adapter (16v) but if you wanted to lop the cable end off (you can buy knockoff magsafe power adapters for like 30 bucks on ebay) and solder it into the mini 9 adapter and you wanted to figure out the pinout for the macbook side of the connector it's totally purchasable.

13" MacBook Magsafe Board &nbsp - Powerbook Medic

that's the board you want, then you just need to remove the old connector, cut a hole assuming it fits, mount it solder it up and pray it works.

wouldn't be super cheap, like 60 - 70 bucks to do plus man hours.... it would be pretty effin cool though.

edit: the light wouldn't come on on the charger to tell you it was charging either.
  (#6) Old

Default 08-25-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post

I think a much better one could be made then the example shown. Also, if you could get a hold of the MAC connectors (like replacement) parts you could get it to work. You can easily bypass all the MAC communication mumbo jumbo with a wire cutting and some solder.
  (#7) Old

Default 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Mac not MAC. MAC is what network cards have.
  (#8) Old

Default 08-25-2009, 04:44 PM

no kidding, Mac might sure you for typing their name wrong! Better retract that!
  (#9) Old
Expert Member

Default 08-28-2009, 12:09 PM

You can misspell the name, just not on non-company branded hardware per the EUA.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#10) Old

Default 08-31-2009, 03:07 PM

i just thought it would make more sense if they were talking about a computer instead of a computer technology. apparently we have some people with apple issues here.