Dell Mini 9 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 9

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default The easiest way to install Snow Leapard - 10-18-2009, 03:20 AM

After many failed attempts I have found the easiest way to install Snow Leopard on my dell Minni 9 so i figured i would share with the rest of you, before i start i want to thank some of the members on this board, Click here to read the entire tutorial
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks tchariya & jnm1963 for the clarification!

Planning to buy one and borrow a friend's macbook to try this out!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Default questions

I appear to be missing something. I have read the post several times. At what point is SL installed on the usb drive? Is it done with a Mac?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edavison View Post
I appear to be missing something. I have read the post several times. At what point is SL installed on the usb drive? Is it done with a Mac?
Try looking here: Guides | OS X | mechdrew - I used method 1 to prepare my usb thumbdrive. And, yes, it's done with a mac. There is a guide to doing it without a mac here: Install Snow Leopard WITHOUT a USB DVD drive, using your 10.5.8 and Windows
Old 10-25-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edavison View Post

I apologies for not being clear, this if you already have have a hackintosh witch you would need to prep the flash drive, a spida505 has stated there is a guide if you are starting from scratch, sorry for the confusion,Good luck
Old 10-25-2009, 06:10 AM

Worked perfectly.. thank you so much.. I know that many put time into to this but my Dell Mini is not only a MAC OSX but up to the latest version and as well sound and updates without an issue.. again thank you for your hard work.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 AM

How much memory is needed on the SSD? More or less than 10.5.x? Does it fit to the 8 GB SSD?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebar View Post
How much memory is needed on the SSD? More or less than 10.5.x? Does it fit to the 8 GB SSD?
You might be able able to but would have enough room for updates and any other software you mite want to install ,I would up grade to a 16 gig SSD or bigger
Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM

Unhappy Can't get snow leopard to bootload...

I followed the instructions for placing Snow Leopard on the USB and ran 0.8.3.
Set the bios to boot from the usb and then it hangs up with a horizontal cursor flashing at the top of my screen. The bootloader never seems to work...What is this rather simple noob doing wrong? Any ideas?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by occasional2005-dell View Post
I followed the instructions for placing Snow Leopard on the USB and ran 0.8.3.
Set the bios to boot from the usb and then it hangs up with a horizontal cursor flashing at the top of my screen. The bootloader never seems to work...What is this rather simple noob doing wrong? Any ideas?
Do you have a mini 9 or 10,If you have mini 9 go into the bios and try setting usb wake to enabled, if you have the mini 10 see what bios version you have. I hope you can get it working, good luck
Old 11-11-2009, 06:30 PM

Default Spelling and punctuation?

I am grateful for the guide but also wondered why there was no mention of the Mac OS X install itself. So how about a few minor updates to your guide - and while at it correct some spelling, punctuation and HTML? :-) On the spelling I'll only point out one I think really should be corrected.

The HTML cleanup first - you have it such that entire sections of your text are clickable, not just the http address.

Spelling/punct: "use guide partition" should be "use GUID partition" And add a period after "partition."

Punct: "hit apply once done run" looks like it should be "hit apply once. done. run" But I also guess the install of the OS X to the flash drive should be BEFORE the "run..." part so why not add that in?

Please don't take these suggestions wrong - just trying to clarify your instructions for all of us! :-)
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools