Linux Forums about Linux operating systems on the Dell Inspiron Mini.

(#1) Old

Default CrunchBang Linux? - 01-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Has anyone tried this version yet on the mini9?

Just found it online. Have downloaded the iso waiting for it finish. It is based off of Ubuntu but has a lighter footprint.

http://crunchbanglinux.org/

Will update on how it works laterz, going to a hockey game today so may not have time to install until tomorrow.

Nate
  (#2) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM

Used the live cd and it works great! Out of the box the wireless worked fine. Didn't have time to play with the sound, but it should work fine, based off ubuntu 8.1. Will create a virt machine and test the foot print of the OS.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2009-01-14--1231952778_1024x600_scrot.png (50.8 KB, 100 views)
  (#3) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 01-15-2009, 03:41 AM

Great Good to see progress on people trying out other distros. Let us know if you commit to a full install, and how it goes.

Edit: Decided to give this a shot myself using the USB drive guide I found here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/crunchbang ... l-windows/ (Skip step 1). Wireless worked right away, Flash is fine, 2GB RAM is recognized, however sound did not seem to be working. I followed the steps from http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...90&postcount=3 before realizing that while Master volume was on the volume controls, the Speaker control wasn't actually included and was muted. Turned that up and everything is fine

More people need to give #!CB a try, seems like a great alternative to the stock Ubuntu for people who want a more minimal setup (Mmmm Openbox)
  (#4) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 01-16-2009, 01:44 PM

i work this weekend, might give it a try then, unless my 64gb runcore decides to show up then i will be playing with windows 7 and server 2008....
  (#5) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 01-29-2009, 02:48 AM

I just installed CrunchBang (live USB boot). So far, I'm really impressed with it. It's surprisingly snappy, especially for something that's running off of a USB thumb drive. Wifi and webcam worked perfectly out of the box, and audio worked with the simple fix mentioned above. A/V files, flash, etc., all seem to work too, without any fiddling around...that's fairly unusual for Linux.

I'm going to spend some time with it and tweak things to my liking (does anyone know where the heck the mouse/trackpad settings live? -- the trackpad is a bit too sensitive/fast), but I'm very impressed so far. There are a couple problems I have to work out with the keyboard: the double quote key (shift+') does not produce a double quote -- it produces an @ symbol, and the Fn+5 and Fn+6 keys don't work for the volume. There might be some other quirks I haven't discovered yet, but nothing so far is a huge dealbreaker.

For those in this thread (or others) who have put CrunchBang through its paces with the Mini 9, are there other problems I can look forward to? Any suggestions for fixes to the issues I've identified so far?
  (#6) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 01-29-2009, 03:15 AM

Ok, I just encountered my first potential dealbreaker with CrunchBang on the Mini 9 (that was fast, eh? ). The pipe character does not work. Not having double quote was annoying; not having pipe in *nix is crippling. There's probably a way to configure the keyboard or key bindings to enable the keys I need, but I haven't found it yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  (#7) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 02-01-2009, 06:04 PM

Oops, I forgot to post an update. A few days back I got bored and decided to do a full CrashBang install. The only part I was apprehensive about was using parted to dynamically resize XP's NTFS partition to make room for CrashBang, but it actually worked pretty well. Grub loaded XP just fine. Windows wanted to run a chkdisk the first time I booted into XP after the CrashBang install, but after it did its thing it was satisfied.

Thankfully the keyboard was detected correctly in the full install. Not sure why the live boot had trouble with the few keys I mentioned earlier. I ran into a bit of trouble authenticating on my wireless router; the Network Manager applet isn't the most intuitive UI when things aren't working as expected. But eventually I figured out how it works...I think. The important part is that my wireless network is detected and automatically connected when I boot up or come out of a suspend.

General thoughts about CrashBang on the mini. It's nice. Not really faster than the USB live boot version for most things though, which kind of surprised me. Annoyingly, it takes quite a bit longer than my stripped-down XP to get to the login screen; 45+ seconds vs 30 on XP. If I spend the same amount of time/effort disabling unneeded startup services as I did with XP I expect to match or exceed the 30 second bootup time.

I installed a handful of packages beyond what CrashBang installs by default; yet the entire distro is only taking up 2.25 GB. This is pretty impressive for a fully-functional OS with networking, a multiple image editors, web browsers, audio and video players, etc. It makes me realize that I could definitely get by with one of the 4GB SSD models from the outlet. In fact, if the mini's come back in stock in the outlet store, I'll try to snag one of those cheap ones to use as a dedicated linux netbook.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM

I have to throw my opinion in here too – I'm running Crunchbang as my sole OS - everything works very well - and it doesn't take up much space at all! I'm using the lite version and it takes up less than 2GB. I've had it on my Mini for about a week now (1.6ghz 2GB RAM).

A few caveats:

The boot on a fresh install of the OS isn't all that fast, I'd say about 40 seconds or so

To get the speaker control to appear in the volume control I had to add follow this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=3

I get a randomly dimming back light - it's doesn't do it so often that it's unusable, but slightly annoying when watching video (yes I'm on the newest Bios - I've seen the problem before, will try a few things)

Additional settings don't seem as easy to access as other distro's (trackpad control, keyboard) everything functions fine - i just hate the tap to click option. :lol:

So at this point, I'm liking crunchbang - I'm not a huuuuge fan of Openbox, so I'm still considering Netbook Remix, but if you want a very minimal and no-hassle OS, crunchbang does very well.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 02-22-2009, 08:09 PM

you hate tap to click? try this one: http://krischer.org/linux/mobile/tp

Dell Mini 9
16 GB SSD, 1.3MP Cam, Bluetooth
openSUSE 11.1 - KDE4
  (#10) Old

Default Re: CrunchBang Linux? - 02-25-2009, 05:39 PM

I'm running it, and like it a lot! Esp, the 'Conky' desktop app...