Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#81) Old

Default 09-22-2010, 03:16 AM

Well, the font is a bit smaller, about what I have on my company's HP laptop so I'm used to it. The additional screen real estate is what I was craving. You don't know what you are missing till you get it back! As my primary web surfing, some image editing tool, this little critter is the most used computer in the house outside of the dedicated home automation system in the basement.

From what I've experienced with this system I'm "downgrading" my home automation to an ASUS EEE box as the Atom processor is more than capable of supporting my HA needs and it only draws 30watts at full load.

I've recommended this little 'puter to many friends at work and clued them in on the monitor upgrade so definitely worth every penny.

Dell Mini 1012 | 2GB | 240GB | 1366x768 | Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#82) Old

Default 09-23-2010, 08:40 PM

Could some one who's done this post some screen prints of what the new desktop resolution looks like? I'm interested in doing this but want to see the results before I make the investment.
  (#83) Old

Default screen capture of higher resolution display - 09-25-2010, 06:09 PM

See image link below. It is a screen capture of my desktop with wallpaper and this thread.

Click here for picture

HTH!

(#84) Old

Default Just did the upgrade(s)... - 09-28-2010, 05:47 AM

...and glad I did. Got a 1366x768 from Bliss & a Seagate Momentus XT and now this little thing zips & has great screen real estate. Thank you all for your tips!
  (#85) Old

Default 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
I'm getting ready to start the work, but I'm a little confused with the instructions on this thread. The first set of instructions call for an almost complete disassembly of the machine:

while these instructions seem to say that the screen bezels can be removed without having to open the bottom half of the computer:

These second instructions seem to imply the same thing:

So If I'm reading this correctly (and please let me know whether I am):
  • there is no need to open the bottom section of the computer
  • the bezel is locked in place by only 2 screws behind rubber stickers on the bottom corners of the inner bezel. the remaining snaps can be slowly released with a credit card.
  • snapping off the front bezel also releases the rear cover and exposes the metal frame holding the screen, the camera and the connecting wires.
  • the screen is held in lace by 8 screws at it's corners (4 in front and 4 in back). or is the screen held in by 4 screws and the bezel by four others?
  • the wires connecting the screen to the board are taped to the back of the screen and need to be removed carefully so as not to break anything.
Does this sounds about right to everyone? If so, is there any advantage to doing the almost full disassembly from the first instructions?

Lastly, the computer will take either the standard glossy RKDY3 screen or its matt M875K version correct? Is there any real difference in output between them?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to have everything clear before I tackle the project. Thanks for the clarification. I'll make sure to post a step by step picture guide after I'm done.
I also agree. Can someone please please post another clean step by step instruction for removing the of Dell mini 1012 screen only instruction (without disassembling the body). I already ordered from Bliss. I never experienced to remove a screen on mini. Though, I successfully replaced my HP Pavilion laptop and dell inspiron screen but not dell MINI screen. I would really appreciate it would post a new one... Thanks in advance!
  (#86) Old

Default 09-28-2010, 09:03 PM

I was going to wait until my Dell warranty ends, but... the 1024x600 is annoying me so much that maybe I'll just do it sooner.

Has anybody from Canada tried to get a screen? Any recommended suppliers (i.e. somebody who doesn't use evil UPS Ground)?
  (#87) Old

Default 09-28-2010, 10:31 PM

I'm going to do this upgrade sooner or or later, but this lousy touch pad is still my biggest complaint.

If I knew it would be like it is, I might have not bought the 1012 in the first place.

Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 2mb RAM
Dell Inspiron E1505 - died a noble death
Dell Inspiron 17R - I hammered the kb with fist, killed it.
Motorola Droid X2 - gave to niece who gave it to her 3 year old. crap.
lotsa new stuff
  (#88) Old

Default 09-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarzan View Post
I'm going to do this upgrade sooner or or later, but this lousy touch pad is still my biggest complaint.

If I knew it would be like it is, I might have not bought the 1012 in the first place.
I regret buying this one as well. One of my biggest complaint also are the slowness and bad screen resolution. I can't stand the bad screen resolution and slowness of this netbook. I already upgraded the memory to 2gb and still slow. I guess, I have to upgrade from HDD to SSD when i find a cheap SSD. I can't wait to receive the new screen that i bought @ bliss.
  (#89) Old

Default 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM

First, I am NOT responsible for any damage incurred using this procedure. Doing this WILL void your DELL warranty. Ahem, on with the step-by-step procedure...

Step by step instructions as best as I can remember them:

1) Shut down the system and disconnect the power supply and REMOVE THE BATTERY.

2) Find the two little square rubber screw covers on the bottom edge of the screen's bezel. Carefully pry them up and save.

3) Using a small screw driver, take out the two uncovered screws.

4) Starting near the lower left corner of the display's bezel, bottom lip, slip one of two credit cards (old hotel room cards work best) under the bezel.

5) Carefully, slip a second credit card on top of the first one. I used one corner of the second card to get under the bezel and aligned the two credit cards.

6) Carefully spread the end of the credit cards apart starting at the end not under the bezel. You may have to spread them quite a bit as there is a lot of spring to the cards. Eventually the clip on the bezel will release with a soft "snap" sound.

7) Move around to the left side of the bezel just above the point where you released the first clip and repeat the slide cards and spread them step. Do this slowly and deliberately around the whole bezel. It is tempting to jump ahead as it feels like the whole thing is nice and loose by the time you get to the third side but fight the urge. That's when you'll break the clips!

8) When the last clip is freed and the bezel comes off, the naked LCD panel is revealed. Remove the four screws holding it in place. BE VERY CAREFUL pulling the LCD panel away from the plastic back as there is adhesive holding the wires that go to the camera to the back of the lcd panel.

9) Peel the camera cable away from the LCD panel.

10) At the bottom of the LCD panel, there is a connector between the LCD panel and the computer. Use a small flat screwdriver to slightly move the two retainers on either side of the cable. They don't move very far but must be in the unlocked position if you are ever going to get the new cable to seat properly. I mention this because a newbie mistake is to simply yank the flex cable out of the connector then wonder why they can't get the new one to go back in!

11) With the camera cables cleared of the LCD and the LCD cable cleared of the connector, remove the old panel.

12) With the new LCD in your left or right hand, carefully slide the flat cable into the connector where the old one plugged in. There are two "ears" on either side of the cable. Use your fingernail or small screwdriver to gently push the cable into place in the connector. Push the two retaining clips back in to secure the cable.

13) While leaning the new LCD into place on the back panel of the lid, gently put the camera cable back in its old position along the back of the LCD panel. You don't want to add any more slack to the cable at the top than is already there (it bunches up a bit next to the camera.)

14) Place the LCD panel back over the four screw mounts in the lid.

At this point, I put the battery pack back in and turned on the computer to test the replacement unit. Once I was sure it worked, I turned it off, removed the battery and power supply again.

15) Screw the LCD panel into place.

16) CAREFULLY align and snap the bezel into place. It is better to go around the bezel a couple of time gently snapping the clips rather than jaming the first one in then the next, etc. You'll know when it is in place. as the gap between the bezel and the back will be uniform and about 1 to 1.25 mm wide.

17) Screw the bezel in place (lower edge) and put back the two small rubber covers. There should be enough adhesive left to hold them in place.

Done!

Fire up the computer and you should be ready to go.

Couple things:

The LCD cable should be completely seated in its connector but you have to do this gently. The cable will NOT seat properly if you didn't pull out the small retaining clips first. The two tabs on either side of the cable are handy for making sure the cable is evenly placed in the connector. If one looks higher than the other it probably isn't seated correctly. Try again.

DON'T RUSH or PUSH/PULL HARD on anything. Although I did it in record time I've dis/reassembled at least 30 laptops so I have the touch but it isn't difficult to get it right. Remember, just when you think you are about to break it, the bezel clips release.

DON'T use an active credit card or one that has an RFID chip in it. I had an old card, probably 10+ year old and it snapped in half at the first clip. Used a more flexible one and it worked fine.

HTH!

(#90) Old

Default 09-30-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the instruction! confortif. I can't wait to replace mine. Where did you purchase your screen? At blisscomputer also? I purchased mine 2 days ago but it still not shipped out, even though they sent me a UPS tracking no that night. Im going to call them today to ask what's the delay since they charged my card already.