Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default [Help] Temperature issues - 10v running hot - 12-22-2009, 10:14 PM

First, yes - I DID search for this issue, but none of the threads I found seemed to address the issue.

My problem is that the Mini runs at 180 degrees F (82C) while watching video or gaming. Gaming is obviously going to heat it up, but video? Really?

I've seen some issues with bad heat syncs or paste, but I loathe the idea of ripping this thing apart without first asking the community.

I'm tracking the temp with iStat Menus and using Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and used the latest RC release, as of this posting, of NBI.

Is this common? Most of the threads I see only have issues of about 60C (140F) at the most. I can idle and this machine is around 125F (52C).

I appreciate any input i can get...especially the kind that DOESN'T involve disassembling my Mini.

Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 01:09 AM

I thought I'd add that I rigged a 12volt fan from an old PC under the mini and it only seems to make about an 8 degree difference. ...and yes, i made sure there was sufficient space under it for air flow.
  (#3) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 01:13 AM

your temps seem about average or at least what i get. (cpu temp.) these things rely on convection cooling and still run comparable to my macbook (load is a bit hotter on a Dell mini)

they have critical temp shut down, worry when and if you hit that, or it's when i'm going to start freaking.

always worth opening systems "Activity Monitor" check see their isn't some crappie app forming a loop, HP printer updater heated up my mac till i tracked it down and killed it.

p.s a lot of forma posts on heat issues seem to be confusing hd temps and cpu temps.
  (#4) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to 05GT
Default 12-23-2009, 02:18 AM

Video on a netbook isn't like video on a full sized laptop or desktop. It's actually an intensive process.
  (#5) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 02:30 AM

Well, I am running nothing but a browser and my webcam right now and it is 170 degrees F

Also, I am positive it is the CPU temp because CPU has 2 options in iStat and the HD has its own temp which is cooler than the CPU.
  (#6) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to 05GT
Default 12-23-2009, 02:31 AM

Is SMCFanControl an option with these Hackintosh setups?
  (#7) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GT View Post
Is SMCFanControl an option with these Hackintosh setups?
No, because there is no fan in them. They're passively cooled.
  (#8) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Looks like the fan idea is a no go because anything creating that strong of a magnetic field that close to the machine slows it down. Obviously I know that fans run on magnets, but I didn't think it would have that much of an effect. Fortunately I was smart enough not to put it near the HD.

I'm going to make a casing for the fan with holes where the intakes are and tunnel it instead to see if that helps.

Also, left it on over night and it was indexing an external drive and ran through the night at about 160 degrees F continuous.

I'm curious-- I found one other reference to someone running as hot as 200 degrees F before it started to slow down and almost shut off. Has anyone else reached this core temp? Is it dangerous to reach these temps or will the machine cut itself off in time to avoid burning up?
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 12-23-2009, 01:05 PM

I hardly think that a tiny case fan running under your Mini would have such an adverse affect on the performance because of "magnetic fields".

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#10) Old

Default 12-23-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
I hardly think that a tiny case fan running under your Mini would have such an adverse affect on the performance because of "magnetic fields".

Neither did I, since I have a background in electronics and DIY- But I tested it, under various conditions, and it did indeed slow down performance. Seriously, I turned it on and 30 seconds later - locked up. I shut it off and it would work again. I was able to duplicate the results...therefore, by using the scientific method, I was able to conclude that it DID cause a problem.

It worked in cooling off the machine, but it would halt my ability to use apps and I would get the spinning rainbow beachball until I turned off the fan.