Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default Anyone using 3rd party (OEM) battery? - 05-22-2010, 02:23 PM

Hi, I,m sourcing for an extra battery and saw some OEM battery. I'm interested in the 4-cell type, I saw some rated 2200mah and 2400mah it is worth to pat additional usd10 for the 2400mah? Also, I am a little concern whether the OEM battery will fit nicely or it's color might not be the same black as the Dell color. I previously bought a OEM battery for a EEEpc and the battery black plastic shell seems darker then the black plastic of the EEEpc and a little ugly.

Can I get 4hrs with these 4-cell batt? My current 4-cell only have 70% of it's charge capability and I only do about 2hr average.

Any actual feedback by user here?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 05-22-2010, 10:52 PM

There are many people using third-party batteries, but most if not all are using 8-cell batteries variously rated as 52 or 77WH. Note that these are not "OEM", which implies original manufacturer. Forum sponsor MyDigitalDiscount sells one of these extended batteries - I have one.

Given that many people have issues with non-Dell batteries, where the Mini refuses to charge them, I would be cautious.

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 05-23-2010, 12:32 AM

Thanks Steve.
  (#4) Old

Default 8 cell battery not recognised by Dell mini 9 - 05-30-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
There are many people using third-party batteries, but most if not all are using 8-cell batteries variously rated as 52 or 77WH. Note that these are not "OEM", which implies original manufacturer. Forum sponsor MyDigitalDiscount sells one of these extended batteries - I have one.

Given that many people have issues with non-Dell batteries, where the Mini refuses to charge them, I would be cautious.
Hi: I bought an 8 cell battery from Bay Eagle Eyes for the Dell Mini 9 but I cannot get my mini 9 to recognise it and charge it. My BIOS was A00 which I flashed up to A06. Then read some strings here that BIOS A04 works for non-Dell batteries, but now I cannot flash down to A04. Can't understand why the mini 9 won't charge these batteries. Any ideas? thanks
  (#5) Old
Administrator

Default 05-30-2010, 08:00 PM

The USB key creator available here will let you choose any older BIOS. Select "Legacy" to get to the older ones. Note that the Mini 9 (910) and A90 BIOS levels are not the same.

Steve
  (#6) Old

Default 05-31-2010, 01:40 AM

I ordered a brandless 2200mah cell and should be coming any time soon. Hope it will work fine. Will update the status and the battery life I will get from it.

Dell Inspiron Mini 910 with Vostro A90 A06 BIOS, Kingston 2GB RAM, RunCore 64G-C SSD, SL 10.6.3, NBI 0.8.4 RC1, aboutthismac.pkg, AppleHDA+dsdt, PowerVoodoo
  (#7) Old

Default 06-03-2010, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoelse View Post
I ordered a brandless 2200mah cell and should be coming any time soon. Hope it will work fine. Will update the status and the battery life I will get from it.
My battery is dying too ... but after reading mini 9 has problems charging third-party batteries I'm afraid to make the purchase online ... let us know how yours works out.
  (#8) Old

Default 06-13-2010, 08:55 PM

What battery should I buy from eBay?

lolbot
  (#9) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexithymiaesque View Post
My battery is dying too ... but after reading mini 9 has problems charging third-party batteries I'm afraid to make the purchase online ... let us know how yours works out.
Mine works very well, color and fit is good and the 2200mah last about 3.30hrs compare to my dell original about 2hr (20% wear).

Dell Inspiron Mini 910 with Vostro A90 A06 BIOS, Kingston 2GB RAM, RunCore 64G-C SSD, SL 10.6.3, NBI 0.8.4 RC1, aboutthismac.pkg, AppleHDA+dsdt, PowerVoodoo
  (#10) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 05:18 PM

I have a 3rd party battery and the Dell does not like to charge it...so I have to fool it. With the Dell powered on and running (OS X in my case), I plug in the power adapter. The front lights on the Mini 9 start flashing white and orange: battery not recognized, so it is not charging. I close the Mini 9 lid to go into sleep mode. Still plugged into the wall power, I unlatch the battery, remove the battery, and replace the battery. (The battery only needs to move an inch or so back and forth.) Latch the battery into locked position again.

Turn the Mini 9 over and voila: the front light is steady white, charging the battery. I open the lid to wake up the machine and the battery continues to charge. I do this little dance twice a day; once at work, and once when I get back home.

To Dell: This is a nuisance! Why did you design your software to do this?!