General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#1) Old

Send a message via ICQ to loonix Send a message via AIM to loonix Send a message via MSN to loonix Send a message via Yahoo to loonix
Default Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-08-2008, 05:33 AM

As we are approaching Apple's WWDC in January '09 and the anticipated release of the next version of OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard", I am wondering if the mini Dell will be fit to run this next generation OS from Apple?

Thoughts?

---------------------------------------------------
AR aka. loonix
Dell 9 mini - OSX (Type 11 method) 10.5.6
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-08-2008, 06:24 PM

It is supposed to be a streamlined and faster version of OS X. It will definitely work on our machines. Keep in mind, our hardware is nearly identical to a Mac Mini, and they're not about to drop support for that machine yet.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-08-2008, 06:48 PM

If people can get Snow Leopard to work on the Mini without issues there would be dancing in the streets. Well maybe not in Cupertino That said I'm a big Mac fan boy, but Ubuntu really has its charms. I just need to learn more about it in these forums and elsewhere. Installing software on the Mini under Ubuntu has not be a Mac like experience though and the 1GB RAM limit seems just plain mean spirited :twisted:
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-08-2008, 07:52 PM

The correct answer is "almost positively not"

Snow leopard (10.5.6) will be optimized for DUAL CORE processors, which makes me feel that our single core machines will have a ton of trouble trying to run it. Hopefully I am wrong, but I think we will be stuck with 10.5.5 (fine with me!)
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-08-2008, 08:07 PM

Again, I refer to the Mac Mini. It initially sold with Core Solo CPU's in the base model (after the Intel transition). Core Solo's aren't even 64bit. We'll be fine.
Also, you don't want to be left behind when it comes to OSX. Being on 10.5.x when Apple has moved on to 10.6.x, you will quickly find that software starts requiring 10.6.x to work. I've gone through this numerous times with actual Mac's as Apple has marched forward with newer versions. 10.3 is completely unusable nowadays. 10.4 is very marginal, I'd say easily half the apps out there require 10.5 now. Apple is FAR better at dragging people along to newer versions of the OS than Microsoft.

(#6) Old

Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-09-2008, 11:13 AM

(#7) Old

Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-09-2008, 05:37 PM

So #1 I have snow leopard running on a core solo mini and it works fine. #2 I almost have it running on my mini9 for fun. The problem I am having is with the boot123 boot args but I think I am almost around that.
  (#8) Old

Send a message via ICQ to loonix Send a message via AIM to loonix Send a message via MSN to loonix Send a message via Yahoo to loonix
Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
#2 I almost have it running on my mini9 for fun
That's great!! Type11 I am sure you will work out the final details soon ;-) Planning on making a 10.6 how to?

Don't have my mini yet but once I do let me know if I can be of any help.

AR aka. loonix
Dell 9 mini - OSX (Type 11 method) 10.5.6
  (#9) Old
Guru

Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-09-2008, 06:10 PM

That's awesome. I thought Munky said that they were working on a new Boot132 for 10.6.. That'll be awesome to have Snow Leopard on this just about the day it's released to the public.

(#10) Old

Default Re: Will OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard" run on the mini? - 11-09-2008, 11:16 PM

yeah the problem is with the boot123 as far as I can see for now. But I imagine that once we get that working we will hit some kext soup. Ohh well all way interesting ;-)