Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 03:26 AM

Check this out, the Vostro with the nice black bezels, is $199 NEW, WITH Bluetooth, 8gb SSD, AND .3mp cam. Now that is a bargain!

click to enlarge:
  (#2) Old

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 04:01 AM

I literally just ordered a Dell Mini 9 (new) from Dell EPP a few hours ago! The only difference between the Vostro and my configuration is 0.3MP webcam vs 1.3MP webcam (I'm replacing RAM and SSD anyhow, so 512MB vs. 1GB makes the 512MB better). The price difference is ideally $437 vs. the $468 I paid, a $31 premium for a 1.3MP webcam (and the included 1GB RAM). :x Oh well.

Question: the only difference is the cosmetic one, in that the LCD bezel and palmrest are black instead of silver? If that's all there is, then I'm not really that broken up about it. Yes, black=cool, but I knew that as soon as I ordered, something better would come along. Plus, I can feel some satisfaction that I have a 1.3MP webcam vs. the 0.3MP. Still, $31...

Dell Mini 9 - Obsidian Black | Mac OS X 10.5.6 | 2 GB CAS3 Kingston HyperX RAM | 64 GB RunCore SSD | BIOS A04 | BlueTooth | 1.3MP Webcam
  (#3) Old

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 04:11 AM

Nice find, thanks for posting this!

I'm putting my order in ASAP. This will save me a ton of money over upgrading my Mini to BT and black bezels!
  (#4) Old

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 04:43 AM

Not available in Canada as yet and USA Dell does not ship up here ... much sadness. :cry:

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
| CLICK HERE TO ADD AN INTERNAL SDHC CARD | | CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE HACKINTOSH POLL |
  (#5) Old

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahFuLing
I literally just ordered a Dell Mini 9 (new) from Dell EPP a few hours ago! The only difference between the Vostro and my configuration is 0.3MP webcam vs 1.3MP webcam (I'm replacing RAM and SSD anyhow, so 512MB vs. 1GB makes the 512MB better). The price difference is ideally $437 vs. the $468 I paid, a $31 premium for a 1.3MP webcam (and the included 1GB RAM). :x Oh well.

Question: the only difference is the cosmetic one, in that the LCD bezel and palmrest are black instead of silver? If that's all there is, then I'm not really that broken up about it. Yes, black=cool, but I knew that as soon as I ordered, something better would come along. Plus, I can feel some satisfaction that I have a 1.3MP webcam vs. the 0.3MP. Still, $31...
I would so try to cancel that order. They probably have a return policy as well. I would def do it for this ultra sleek vostro.... I was looking at this today at work and this 199 option was not available... This will run the runcore ssd and mac os x exactly the same as the mini right?? If so, I'm in.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 04:58 AM

Hmm, it doesn't say glossy screen for the a90.... Don't tell me it's not glossy... Just don't.
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 05:06 AM

If the A90 is going for $200 new, should be a steal once they show up in the outlet!

(#8) Old

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 05:28 AM

Anyone know what Bluetooth via USB I/F means? Still internal, or a dongle? Not sure why it would have a dongle when the Mini9 is internal, but seems odd...

Mine: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC | Carbon Fiber Skin
Hers: Black Mini 9 - 8GB STEC | 2GB RAM | 1.3 Cam | BT | 8GB SDHC
Test: Black Mini 9 - 16GB STEC | 1GB RAM | 16GB SDHC | OSX
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srroos
Anyone know what Bluetooth via USB I/F means? Still internal, or a dongle? Not sure why it would have a dongle when the Mini9 is internal, but seems odd...

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... #wp1179885

Bluetooth is internal same as Mini.
Infact, there is no hardware diff between Mini/A90 short of the BIOS which is also cross-compatible...

(#10) Old

Default Re: NOOOOOO! Vostro is here...and its CHEAP! - 04-18-2009, 05:36 AM

That is great news. I have to buy one now.... If everything is the same and I can upgrade to runcore with mac os x install.... It's perfect.