Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Must Have Software - 09-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Our Dell Minis aren't super computers, so here are some essential (free) lightweight applications that you might consider for the job:

Media Player
VLC Player
Incredibly lightweight + versatile media player.

Web Browser
Google Chrome
Googles new lightening quick minimalistic browser. Great as a replacement browser for its speed and slimline display that gives you maximum view area on a small screen resolution.
*Note you will still need Internet Explorer present for Windows Update, at very least, update to IE7.

Firefox
Popular browser by Mozilla with a wealth of addons to enhance your browsing experience, be sure to get the latest version!

Text Editor/Programming
PSPad
A fast-loading text editor with lots of configurable plugins to help you program in various languages. Optionally adds an item in the right click menu to quickly edit files when you find them.

Office Suite
Open Office
Open Office is the only candidate for an open-source alternative to Microsoft office. Can be a hefty install so ensure to only install what parts of it you need.

PDF Reader
Foxit Reader
Lightweight pdf reader that is oh-so-much-less bloated then Adobes counterpart. A must have for anyone who needs to read PDFs.

Image Editing
IrfanView
Not much of an editor but a small and versatile image viewer than can open almost any image type and perform basic image alterations.

GIMP
Open source counter part to Photoshop. Obviously not as powerful, but better suited to the Dell Mini as an image editor.

Email
Thunderbird
Mozillas contribution to the Email client scene. Much quicker and manageable then Microsofts effort, Outlook Express.

Instant Messaging
Pidgin
Slimline IM client with support for many protocols, so thats MSN, AIM, ICQ, IRC and more all combined in one! Its simple interface means you get the maximum coverage in your small resolution.

Cleaning Up/Optimizing
CCleaner
Ccleaner cleans up unwanted or unneeded files and registry entries in Windows. Doesn't offer much of an improvement to high end systems but can be invaluable to low-spec netbooks! Be sure to download the 'portable' version.

Please feel free to suggest any more applications you've had experience with and I will add them.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Must Have Software - 09-19-2008, 01:50 AM

OpenOffice - MS compatible word processor, spreadsheet, database and presentation software.

KompoZer - Web page editor

GnuCash - personal finance manager (checkbook)

FileZilla - FTP client

Audacity - Audio editor

Avast - Free AntiVirus

TrueCrypt - File encryption

Heidi Eraser - Secure file deletion

IZArc - File compression

Google Earth - Offers better zoom than Google Maps

QuickTime Alternative
RealPlayer Alternative - Smaller and less annoying than the full versions

Cabos - Gnutella (Limewire) client

uTorrent - Bittorrent client

Skype - Phone calls & video calls (make use of that built-in webcam!)

NetStumbler - WiFi access point scanner

SyncBack - Data backup & sychronization

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#3) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default Re: Must Have Software - 09-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpackrat
I don't think I'd want to install a program when I can just go on the internet.

Same with anti virus, its inevitably going to slow everything down, I think a better practice of just being careful would be better, not saying that no-anti virus is a good idea for all but if you have a certain collection of trusted apps you have already perhaps AV might not be necessary.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Must Have Software - 09-19-2008, 03:18 PM

Being that the netbook's primary purpose is to browse the net, an anti-virus program should be a requirement. You may think you're safe if you stick to your "trusted programs", but that is incorrect. Even the programs you trust will have security flaws uncovered, and without anti-virus, you're more open to being compromised by malicious software. Maybe if you back the computer up frequently, so you can just image it if any problems develop, but who does that?

A better solution is just to use an anti-virus program that suits the needs of the computer, i.e. leaves out a big bloated UI and 'security suite' and just covers your antivirus needs. I use Symantec Antivirus Corporate (NOT Norton AV) on my other laptops. It's small, gets the job done, and I'll be installing it on my mini9 whenever they finally ship it to me...
  (#5) Old

Send a message via MSN to Matt
Default Re: Must Have Software - 09-19-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunhamzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by captpackrat
I don't think I'd want to install a program when I can just go on the internet.

Same with anti virus, its inevitably going to slow everything down, I think a better practice of just being careful would be better, not saying that no-anti virus is a good idea for all but if you have a certain collection of trusted apps you have already perhaps AV might not be necessary.
I've installed Google Earth on the mini during lunch, seems to work ok for me, there seems to be a slight bit of lag but not that much.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Must Have Software - 10-06-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp
Being that the netbook's primary purpose is to browse the net, an anti-virus program should be a requirement. You may think you're safe if you stick to your "trusted programs", but that is incorrect. Even the programs you trust will have security flaws uncovered, and without anti-virus, you're more open to being compromised by malicious software. Maybe if you back the computer up frequently, so you can just image it if any problems develop, but who does that?

A better solution is just to use an anti-virus program that suits the needs of the computer, i.e. leaves out a big bloated UI and 'security suite' and just covers your antivirus needs. I use Symantec Antivirus Corporate (NOT Norton AV) on my other laptops. It's small, gets the job done, and I'll be installing it on my mini9 whenever they finally ship it to me...
The other approach is to assume all files on the Mini's SD is expendible, since it is use mostly for web surfing and some light document editing, which I hope people backs up to their SD anyway. So I left my Mini without any antivirus protection, i am willing to give that up for better speed performance. If my Mini gets infected or trashed by Malware, I do a quick restore from a previously backup image of the SSD. Back up and running in 10 minutes.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Must Have Software - 10-12-2008, 01:03 PM

I think you need anti-virus. The questions aren't whether you will get infected and what you'll have to do. The questions are when you will get infected and how many others you'll pass it on to. IMHO
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Must Have Software - 10-12-2008, 07:06 PM

this a great thread...good tips...

my mini is coming tomorrow *pause*.......
  (#9) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Must Have Software - 10-12-2008, 10:37 PM

I come down on the side of no anti-virus.

It's not worth the performance hit for me.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Must Have Software - 10-12-2008, 11:17 PM

Install anti-virus, but turn off active protection.
Then it can still be used to scan downloads or files you are unsure about.