General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#481) Old

Default 02-28-2012, 03:04 PM

is there a latest step by step instruction on how to install OS X snowleopard to Dell mini 1012? Thanks!
  (#482) Old

Default 04-02-2012, 01:12 PM

All,

For some time now I have the 1012 up and running
Audio works, WiFi works, Lan works.
Front row does not work so I have no have the acceleration working.
For the installation I used the 0.8.5. netbook installer. After the 10.6. installation update to 10.6.3 and after that update to 10.6.7.

Safari is giving me some problems version 5.0.5. on some web pages.

I like to update to 10.6.8. but then the Wifi is lost Lan will work when I boot with -v -f.

Where can I see what kexts I use for the WiFi?
Are there more then one type of Wifi cards ussed by Dell on the 1012?
How do I know what Wifi card is in the 1012?

10.6.8. seems to work just fine when I would have Wifi working.

thanks,

Dell Dimension 4550: OSX 10.5.6 (10.5.8)
Dell Latitude 610: OSX 10.5.8
Dell Latitude 630: OSX 10.7.3.
Asrock ION 330 Pro: 10.6.4.
Dell Mini 1012: OSX 10.6.7
Mac Pro 2.1: OSX 10.7.3
  (#483) Old

Default 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM

OK I cant get 10.6.0 to work, by using NBM and OSX retail. I need to do the update to 10.6.3 by downloading the apple DMG poppting it on a HD and doing the upgrade, then do the same thing again but with 10.6.7 when I am on 10.6.3, then use the 51 netbook installer and everything should work?
  (#484) Old

Default 04-12-2012, 02:08 AM

please helpppp me
im trying to install macos snow leopard on my dell mini 1012 with bios version A09 and i been succesfully installed but when y try to boot after 30 seconds in the screen of apple and the circle its appears "You need to restart your computer and im search in the blog and try all the things i read but simply cant but the OS what im doing wrong?please help
  (#485) Old

Default 04-12-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJB View Post
All,

For some time now I have the 1012 up and running
Audio works, WiFi works, Lan works.
Front row does not work so I have no have the acceleration working.
For the installation I used the 0.8.5. netbook installer. After the 10.6. installation update to 10.6.3 and after that update to 10.6.7.

Safari is giving me some problems version 5.0.5. on some web pages.

I like to update to 10.6.8. but then the Wifi is lost Lan will work when I boot with -v -f.

Where can I see what kexts I use for the WiFi?
Are there more then one type of Wifi cards ussed by Dell on the 1012?
How do I know what Wifi card is in the 1012?

10.6.8. seems to work just fine when I would have Wifi working.

thanks,
I am ripping my hair out. Can someone please make a youtube tutorial of 10.6.7 install process STEP BY STEP including BIOS settings, NBM settings ext ect. This would be very helpful as there are 200 versions of NBM and Kext edits and terminal commands and Iboot , multibeast ect ect. when you say " now update to and do this" what do you really mean?

I may ditch my 1012 b.c 10.6 wifi dont work so its a silly portable nothingness now. Please help@!
  (#486) Old

Default 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM

I followed the guide on page 18 of this thread and have most things working except wifi.
Dell used different wifi cards over time in the 1012, They used a Dell card that worked just fine in a Hackintosh, then they used a Atheros card that wasn't supported until 10.6.5, then they switched to Intel cards that are not supported. My late 1012 has an Intel WIMAX 6250 card. I have odered a Dell card on eBay to swap it out.
Had to do the same thing with my wife's Acer One hackintosh

To see what kind of wifi card you have go to About this Mac > More Info which will open System Profiler I find my wifi card under USB

Last edited by vwtick; 05-08-2012 at 09:47 PM.
  (#487) Old

Default 05-10-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedparkes View Post
Notes
no bluetooth - I haven't even tired BlueTooth, i don't use it or have a device to test with.
This install cannot be updated to 10.6.4

This guide was put together from snippets from the following pages.
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2 on Dell Mini 10v Guide
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...1012-os-x.html
Install Windows 7 From USB Drive/Pen Drive
OS X Netbook News | Blog | OSX | mechdrew
In the hope this will help Mechdrew with a update the NetbookBootMaker and NetbookInstaller and make this guide obsolete
It took me a while to read through it all and finally get sound working so hopefully this helps others.

Downloads
Dell Battery Application
Drivers and Downloads
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver for Windows 7 64b
*Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver for Windows 7* (exe)
EasyBCD 2.0 Beta
EasyBCD 2.0 Beta Builds - The NeoSmart Forums
NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre & NetbookInstaller 0.8.4 pre
NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre Meklort's Blog
PlistEdit Pro
Download PlistEdit Pro for Mac - Property list editor. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads
Mac OS X 10.6.3 v1.1 update
Mac OS X v10.6.3 v1.1 Update (Combo)

Stage 1 Prepare USB HDD 16GB or bigger to boot and install OS X (I used a external 300GB HDD but anything should work)
On your Mac OS X 10.6 with DVD-ROM drive and USB port:
1. Insert the Mac OS X Snow Leopard retail disc into the Mac’s DVD drive (10.6.0 DVD), and connect the external USB
drive to the Mac too
2. Launch the ‘Disk Utility’
3. Select the external USB drive in the left-hand column
4. Select the ‘Partition’ tab and then under “Volume Scheme:” click on ‘Current’ and change it to ‘1 Partition’
5. Change ‘Name:’ to “OSXDVD” and ensure that ‘Format:’ is set to “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”.
6. Click ‘Apply’ and then ‘Partition’ and give the Mac a moment to format your USB drive and create the new partition
7. Next we need to copy Snow Leopard to the USB drive: select the ‘Restore’ tab.
8. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ icon to the ‘Source:’ field and release.
9. From the left-hand pane, click and drag the ‘OSXDVD’ icon to the ‘Destination:’ field and release.
10. Tick the ‘Erase destination’ box, then click the ‘Restore’ button and then click ‘Erase’. Allow between half an hour to 2 hours for the copy to complete.
11. Launch the ‘NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre.app’ application and from the select menu labeled ‘Select USB Partition:’ select the USB drive which is now titled ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ and then click ‘Prepare Boot Drive’ (you’ll be prompted for the Mac Administrator’s username and password).
12. Once complete, you can eject the USB drive and disconnect it from the Mac.

Step 2 Make USB Bootable Windows 7 64b installer
On a Windows 7 PC
Run cmd as administrator
run diskpart
type LIST DISK
Locate the USB drive you want to boot from
type SELECT DISK 2
type CLEAN
type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
type SELECT PARTITION 1
type ACTIVE
type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
type ASSIGN
type EXIT
Staying in the administrator CMD prompt Browse to boot folder on Windows 7 DVD
run BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 f:
Copy contents of Windows 7 64b DVD to f:

Step 3
boot USB Windows 764b
hit Shift 10
run diskpart
type LIST DISK
type SELECT DISK 0
type CLEAN
type convert gpt
type CREATE PARTITION efi size=200
create 1st partition for OSX 80GB (Create whatever size you want)
type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY size=80000
create 2nd partition for Windows 7 100GB (Create whatever size you want)
type CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY size=100000
Confirm partition created
type LIST PARTITION
Make sure Windows 7 partition is selected, should have a * again it, if not type SELECT PARTITION 3
type FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
Turn off

Stage 4 Boot from USB HDD and install Mac OS X
1. Turn on your Dell 1012
2. Select F12 During boot
3. Select the USB HDD from the boot selection
4. Once you’ve selected your language, click on the ‘Utilities’ menu and select ‘Disk Utility…’.
5. Select the first partition on the HDD mine was called disk0s2
6. Select Erase, format should be “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. Partition and give it a name eg "OSX_HDD"
7. Once complete, quit ‘Disk Utility’.
8. Select the partition you just created and click install
7. Configure your installation as you would on your normal Mac and let the installation run, make sure you put a password on your user account and then that’s it!

Stage 5 Install 10.6.3 update
Install the 10.6.3 update, it'll take awhile, be patient
On reboot it'll stop with error "You need to restart your computer
. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."
So during boot press F8 it'll halt the boot at a screen showing devices to boot from
Select the partition that you are booting from and press space bar
Down the bottom left had corner you will see "Boot:"
Type arch=i386 and press enter (I haven't been able to get it to work in 64 bit)
Should boot O.K. now (Just this once though, it will fail again on reboot)

Stage 6 Get sound working (Install NetbookInstaller) and fix arch=i386 boot problem
Launch the ‘NetbookInstaller 0.8.4pre.app’ application select target as partition that you installed OSX to and click install
Close NetbookInstaller
Don't reboot
Install PlistEdit Pro
Open PlistEdit Pro
Select File Open, press shift+alt+g and goto folder /extra
Open com.apple.Boot.plist
Kernel Flag string entry will be blank
Change it to arch=i386 (I haven't been able to get it to work in 64 bit)
Select File Save and punch in your password
Close PlistEdit Pro
Reboot and sound should be working.

Stage 7 Install Windows 7 64b
Install to partition that you created earlier, in theory it should be Partition 3 but mine was partition 4
Easy to figure out though it's the last one in the list, if you created a different size partition like i did just look for the partition that is that size
Mine (Partition 4) was auto selected
Configure your installation as you would on your normal Windows
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 Driver for Windows 7 64b
Install Dell Battery Application to get rid of "unknown device"

Stage 8 Configure dual boot
Install EasyBCD 2.0 Beta and run
Select Add New Entry
Select Mac under "Operating Systems" at the top
Name = Whatever you like eg. Mac OS X
Mode = MBR

That's it all done
For the love of pete I have not been able to get this thing working like jedparkes has ! I used the retail SL disc (10.6.0) and successfully installed on my mini 1012 I used the update just like the guide says and when I reboot I get the kernel panic . System uptime in nanoseconds and the kext causing the problem was sleepenabler . Removed it still KP'ing . Gave up so re-installed . Skipped the update part and did everything else . Sound is still not working and neither is Wifi . Can anyone help me please ? I wan't all my devices on the 1012 working that are able to work, especially wifi and sound .
  (#488) Old

Default 05-13-2012, 02:32 AM

As I mentioned in my previous post I mentioned that I had to change the wifi card. I purchased the Dell 1510 wifi card for about $9 on eBay and installed it (PITA) and wifi works just fine with 10.6.7.
However I don't have sound working. I have the arch=I386 in the com.apple.boot.plist which is supposed to be the fix for the sound support.
Is there a kext for the sound?
  (#489) Old

Default 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM

An update on my progress.
First I updated to 10.6.8 - DON"T do it on a 1012.
System became very sluggish, had a hard time mounting USB drives (had to mount from Disk Utility), wifi with my Dell 1510 card stopped working.
I tried following the easy 10.6.8 Upgrade guide
but after following all the steps with the new /mach_kernel I got KPs every time I booted unless I said recovery=y at boot time.
I tried running Netbookinstaller 0.8.5pre after following the update instructions and that got it booting OK.
Still no wifi tho, it's funny with the Del 1510 card Airport shows up as available, but it won't turn on.
The other thing is the battery shows no charge and it won't show battery status in the menu bar.
It's like the kexts I have in /extras/additionalextensions aren't loading.

So I'm going back to 10.6.7 where everything worked fine.

Second I got the sound working by installing the VoodooHDA 2.7.3 kext
I had an AppleHDA.kext in my AdditionalExtensions folder but that wasn't doing it.
  (#490) Old

Default 07-03-2012, 06:42 AM

hey,

i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. i installed mac os x 10.6.3 retail from a usb prepared from a downloaded .dmg. i used nbi 084rc1. it installed fine and works fine except for one thing, i cant boot into it from the hard drive. i have to use the install usb to boot into it. it pops up with the "unable to patch 64bit kernel..." error then loads into a "please restart your computer..." screen. i have looked all over this forum and cannot find how to fix this. have i done something wrong?