Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#1) Old

Default My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 05:34 AM

I just got a My SSD 64gb ssd. IT took nearly 1 hour to install XP pro on this drive then 30 to 45 mins for drivers. I seems extramly slower then my default sell 16gb ssd. I ran HD Tune 2. The speed is very slow I will post after i download the program on the Stec drive. From all the installions MDS drivers are very slow. Its almost unbearable. Check this post tomarrow to see the resaults from the HDTUNE 2 from dells drive to this MDS drive

XPS M1210 Owner
Mini 9 Owner
Dell Inspiron 530 Media Center
Dell Tech Support agent
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 05:41 AM

Yeah, shoot an email over to JKKMobile and thank him for the craptastic review he did of that drive. Let's hope their RunCore drives are better. Hard to know for sure, since they had JKKMobile once again do the benchmarks, and once again, claim the speed is as good as the original drive... Yeah, fool me once....
That said, I already ordered the 64gb RunCore drive from MDD, hope it really is vastly better than the generic drives they had sold in the past, I won't miss my 32gb.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#3) Old

Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 12:25 PM

Have you run any becnhmarks on your 32GB drive? It would be interesting to see some results when you get the Runcore 64GB drive.
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Yes, I ran XBench in OSX, the drive got about 1/10th the score of the original.. Here's the scores:
http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=3 ... oc2=314735
Both tests are the same machine. The red was with the 8gb STEC drive it came with, the blue is with the 32gb generic MDD SSD. Scroll down, near the bottom it does hard drive scores..
Such as "Random", I think it's a random assortment of reads and writes, either way, the STEC got a score of 6.37 and the generic SSD got 0.71, that makes the STEC drive something like 900% faster than the generic drive.
Granted, day to day use for me didn't seem that slow, it was more of a case of it was perfectly fine, right up until the drive would decide to pause the whole machine for 7 to 10 seconds while it completed whatever task it was doing.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#5) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Interesting stuff. Thank you for posting your experience and the graphs.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#6) Old

Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 05:23 PM

Very cool. I hope the RunCore has better speed in real world settings. And sleep would be awesome as well.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 05:59 PM

Read the other threads on this forum.

The original drive as shipped from Dell has compression turned on. It seems likely you are comparing the performance of the compressed drive with the new uncompressed drive. You should be comparing Apples to Apples.

Because the new drives are slower than the original (the numbers are even posted on MyDigitalDiscount), many people have found that they perform better if you format the drive as FAT32 rather than NTFS. Perhaps you need files bigger than 4GB or can't do without the transaction logging. Windows may not be willing to do this, but it is possible. Dig around.

Dell Mini 9:Black:GelaSkin by Daim:32GB RunCore SSD:2GB RAM:Bluetoothell 1505 b/g/n
  (#8) Old

Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 06:24 PM

I also have a "MyDigitalSSD 64GB MLC Mini PCI Express PCI-e PCIe SSD" recently installed. I used Acronis to create an image of the Dell 16GB SSD and I restored this image to the 64GB SSD. This gave me a 39MB FAT16 EIDE partition with the remaining space as the active partition with the XP OS. My orignal OS was compressed as delivered from Dell so the image on the new SSD was also compressed. I had very slow repsonse time with the new SSD until I reimaged w/o the 39MB FAT16 partition. I don't know what was in this partition but I don't appear to be missing anything. On other Dell computers I think this partition included an out-of-the-box image of the hard drive. If that's what it was I have no idea how to access it. I have my own image through Acronis which I've never had a problem with.

Without the 39MB FAT16 partition I have speeds nearly identical to the Dell 16GB SSD. I don't know the first thing about doing benchmark tests so my remarks are simply based on my hands-on use.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaKali
Without the 39MB FAT16 partition I have speeds nearly identical to the Dell 16GB SSD. I don't know the first thing about doing benchmark tests so my remarks are simply based on my hands-on use.
It only contains the Dell hardware diagnostics in a bootable partition - these diagnostics are also on a CD that came with your system so you don't need it.

It is hard to see how having/not having this partition would make the slightest bit of difference. Are you sue that nothing else changed?
  (#10) Old

Default Re: My DIGITAL SSD vs Dell Stock drive - 11-25-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaKali
It only contains the Dell hardware diagnostics in a bootable partition - these diagnostics are also on a CD that came with your system so you don't need it.

It is hard to see how having/not having this partition would make the slightest bit of difference. Are you sue that nothing else changed?
Ah, funny you ask. . . I just re-installed some key-remapping software (KeyTweak.exe) which edits the registry and sha-zamm -- slow performance again! So, methinks I've found the culprit. Good to know the contents of the other partition though. Perhaps I'll re-image it again and include that so I'll have it for Dell support should I need it.

I'll have to nose around for other re-mapping software to try. I want to flip-flop the assignment of the Mini's apostrophe key with the "Context Menu" key -- both of which are to the right of the space bar. The current Contect Menu key is easy for me to get as a touch-typist with my thumb. Since I use the apostrophe more than the Contect Menu it just makes sense for me to relocate them.