Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM

why do they need the whole thing to fix the ssd? they know their ssds are vulnerable, why not send me a 16 gb?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-23-2008, 09:47 PM

I'd talk to different people until you get someone who will send you the SSD. The lack of consistency in their customer service and support is quite something. But several others on this forum have had the SSD go out and have gotten Dell to send them the SSD.

Don't give in!

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old

Default Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jej.514
I'd talk to different people until you get someone who will send you the SSD. The lack of consistency in their customer service and support is quite something. But several others on this forum have had the SSD go out and have gotten Dell to send them the SSD.

Don't give in!

Jeff
thank you! Im trying to get these assholes to send me a ssd they keep telling me to send the mini back.

heck that!
heres some of the chat log

3:55:23 PM Agent LIBS_Jhanelle_191549 :If you want.you can save your data in the other external hard drive and delete the files in the hard drive before sending it to depot.
3:56:05 PM Customer mimidude: theres no access to my files! the SSD is DEAD, gone, X_x
  (#4) Old

Default Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-23-2008, 09:59 PM

Probably because their customers handling model assumes all their customers know absolutely nothing about PCs. I have had similar problems with Dell before.

Of course, most customers probably do know nothing about PCs. But the approach still pisses off the minority who know at least something.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#5) Old

Lightbulb Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM

ok i will be sending my mini without the battery and SSD.

I will keep the manuals and cds... Hope they fix it.

I think theres a problem with the BIOS because the diagnostics thing isnt working, just a black screen with a _ blinking.

damn...
  (#6) Old

Default Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-24-2008, 03:16 PM

thats probably because you have a 1yr Collect and Return warranty, which is exactly what your getting service wise.

Upgrade to the business next day support, you get different service, and replacement parts posted out to be fitted at your will.

It's a home consumer product, a very low priority and they might not even get the old SSD back upon delivery from a home user (they do a swapout policy on HDD's) whereas business users are slightly more reliable.

Hope this makes sense.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-24-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidude

I think theres a problem with the BIOS because the diagnostics thing isnt working, just a black screen with a _ blinking.

damn...
You will find the diagnostics are booted from the SSD (which in your case has failed), and so will not load also, it's not like your standard laptop where you can inserta a CD to boot Diagnostics from that.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-24-2008, 06:22 PM

If you can run diagnostics though (I borrowed an extrnal CD drive amd ran diagnostics from the provided CD) and provide them with an error code, they were more than willing to simply send me the SSD (US) when the error code indicated a bad SSd and all other tests passed.

Mini 9: Black, 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM, BT, Win7 Build 7000
  (#9) Old

Default Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmack
If you can run diagnostics though (I borrowed an extrnal CD drive amd ran diagnostics from the provided CD) and provide them with an error code, they were more than willing to simply send me the SSD (US) when the error code indicated a bad SSd and all other tests passed.
Running diagnostics from a USB stick:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1208&p=8799#p8799
  (#10) Old

Default Re: I need Dell to send me a new ssd - 11-25-2008, 04:59 AM

If you are certain it is the SSD that has failed, and you want parts-only service, just contact tech support and tell them you swapped in a friend's SSD and the system booted up fine.

The only reason they don't want to send you an SSD is because they are afraid if something other than the SSD is causing your issue that you will call back within a week requesting another dispatch. That kills the agent's rating, and affects bonuses, shifts, etc.

If you convince them you're not an idiot, and that you've isolated the issue 100% (usually by swapping in a known good part), they'll send you the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minidude
why do they need the whole thing to fix the ssd? they know their ssds are vulnerable, why not send me a 16 gb?