Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#51) Old

Default 08-25-2009, 01:38 PM

maybe youtube and the like will move away from flash and start using the video tag. Then at least those of us who have browsers that support the tag can avoid flash video even more.

Now if hulu would go that route, all would be right in the world, as hulu is far more important than youtube.

mini 9 : Debian Unstable : 2GB ram : Atheros wifi
  (#52) Old

Default 08-25-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safemode View Post
Now if hulu would go that route, all would be right in the world, as hulu is far more important than youtube.
Haha, maybe if you can get it it is most of the world still can't

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#53) Old

Default 09-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Also for anyone interested it seems some Linux users have gotten the card working in their netbooks. Not exactly sure how, as I do not use it, but it is possible.
  (#54) Old

Default mkv files smoothly without any hardware - 10-11-2009, 05:22 AM

hey friends I just managed to play mkv files smoothly on my 2.3gh laptop, I got so happy that want to share the only way I could find in last week. I nearly tried everything but no result untill I decided to play in windows vista media center. my laptop hasn't it and I installed windows 7 to have it, but it is not enaugh if you want smooth mkv .then i installed shark codec package for windows 7 and core AVC codec separately,this is all you need to play mkv smoothly, but there is a parameter you must change in codec packages , first open shark settings and in H264 section choose "core avc codec" then configure it.when core AVC is opened in "deinterlacing" section choose "hardware" and in on the right of that section mark all boxes, thats all now you can open and play your mkv files smoothly by your media center in windows 7
  (#55) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM

You're posting about playing h264 files with a much faster processor on a different laptop?

In any case, playing back h264 at 720p is not a problem on a mini-9. It's playing it back for a long time (length of a movie perhaps). The cooling is not adequate in it's stock state and the gpu will clock down and throttle and cause massive frame skippages/stuttering once the temp is reported to be around 70C.

mini 9 : Debian Unstable : 2GB ram : Atheros wifi
  (#56) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakhakop View Post
hey friends I just managed to play mkv files smoothly on my 2.3gh laptop, I got so happy that want to share the only way I could find in last week. I nearly tried everything but no result untill I decided to play in windows vista media center. my laptop hasn't it and I installed windows 7 to have it, but it is not enaugh if you want smooth mkv .then i installed shark codec package for windows 7 and core AVC codec separately,this is all you need to play mkv smoothly, but there is a parameter you must change in codec packages , first open shark settings and in H264 section choose "core avc codec" then configure it.when core AVC is opened in "deinterlacing" section choose "hardware" and in on the right of that section mark all boxes, thats all now you can open and play your mkv files smoothly by your media center in windows 7
Holy crap was that one sentence?

Mini 9 / 32GB Runcore / 2 GB HyperX / Bluetooth / Internal SDHC / Win 7 Premium / Ubuntu 9.04
Mini 10v / 16GB SSD / 2 GB / 1024x600 / Intel 5300 / Bluetooth / Webcam / Win 7 Premium
Latitude E6500 / Intel T9800 / 4GB HyperX / Nvidia NVS 160M / LG WUXGA / Intel 5300 / 410 BT w/UWB / Webcam / Fingerprint Reader / Backlit keyboard / 9 cell / XP Pro/Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
  (#57) Old

Default 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safemode View Post
You're posting about playing h264 files with a much faster processor on a different laptop?

In any case, playing back h264 at 720p is not a problem on a mini-9. It's playing it back for a long time (length of a movie perhaps). The cooling is not adequate in it's stock state and the gpu will clock down and throttle and cause massive frame skippages/stuttering once the temp is reported to be around 70C.
This is a fair point. I find that holding it by the sides (so it is not resting on a surface) helps a bit. If I'm watching one episode of 720p anime on the go it's not a problem but as you say with multiple hours of video at 720p, the heat can affect performance and will eventually force you to take a time out to let it cool.

Anything less than 720p seems to play back fine indefinitely.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#58) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM

With the broadcom card I can play back a 1080p movie for about 1hr 15 minutes before it will start to throttle the CPU. This is with my black leather case on it (The case opens with the laptop, and has some weak vent holes in the bottom).

If I take off the case I can make it all the way through a typical length movie, but the decoder card gets pretty hot.
  (#59) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd223 View Post
With the broadcom card I can play back a 1080p movie for about 1hr 15 minutes before it will start to throttle the CPU. This is with my black leather case on it (The case opens with the laptop, and has some weak vent holes in the bottom).

If I take off the case I can make it all the way through a typical length movie, but the decoder card gets pretty hot.
Hi there bjd223. Do you have a broadcom accelerator card in your mini 9?

Did you have any issues installing it? Will it work with any program?

(#60) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-J View Post
Hi there bjd223. Do you have a broadcom accelerator card in your mini 9?

Did you have any issues installing it? Will it work with any program?
Yeah I do.
There was no problem installing it, just pop out the WIFI card and put in the broadcom card. Then head over to HPs site and get the driver for the HP mini (I think it is a Mini 110) that comes with the card and the special Arcsoft player that is on HPs site.

You can also use Windows Media Player Classic Home Theater Edition, but the Arcsoft player worked a lot better for me.

I have also heard it will work with WMA HD format in WMP if you encode the video right, but I was too lazy to encode anything. I download MKV files, and all of them worked perfect in Arcsoft player. About two thirds works properly in Media Player Classic HTE.

Only applications written to take advantage of hardware decoding can use them. Flash player 10.1 will support the Broadcom card for flawless HD playback on Flash Video, which will be cool.

I get about 20% CPU playing back 1080p in Windows 7.