Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Runcore misery - suggestions? - 11-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Hi guys,

Long story short:- left mini on one night and woke up to a BSOD, then trying to boot again, the Dell screen (and press for bios or boot options) shows up but Windows didn't even start loading, just blinking underscore in white on a black screen. The Runcore shows up in the BIOS correctly as 64gb.

Has happened a few times with this Runcore, wouldn't exactly call it reliable (but sometimes before when using flashfire, which I wasn't this time) usually I would just reformat (or try to) and have done with, but this time, d'oh, had just got back from a vacation with some of my girlfriend's pictures on. Been burned so many times with data loss in the past that I'm usually pretty careful but this happened within a week of returning home. Still no excuse, I should have been more aware.

Got one of those Nokia CA-101 micro usb cables as recommended in this thread http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...usb-cable.html the drive shows up, even says runcore 64gb but shows up as 'raw', capacity 0kb. Tried on two different PCs. Successfully got data back off the same drive before (albeit using the included usb cable) no problem.

Just posting on the offchance anyone had any ideas?

My next port of call is to order another runcore with its official included usb cable (probably a waste of money but worth a shot)
Also interested as to whether a pci-e to usb cable exists and anyonre could recommoned one if so?

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#2) Old

Default 11-17-2009, 03:00 AM

Sorry to be the bearer - but if you have tried this and the drive shows up at 0Kb then it's probably dead. There is no recovery option for data. If you brought it from a reputable supplier then you should still be under warranty and should get a free replacement.

With all these failures on these SSD's and HDDs I think the importance of backing up data can't be stressed enough. I have a portable drive which I back up onto - in fact after reading this I think I'll do a quick back up right now!!!.
  (#3) Old
Administrator

Default 11-17-2009, 06:02 AM

You may want to try inserting some thin insulating washers between the SSD and the mounting posts. Some of the RunCore SSDs have a tendency to short pins there.

Steve
  (#4) Old

Default 11-17-2009, 07:15 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been thinking of getting a spare ssd for my minis, and if so it will be a Super Talent - too many cases of Runcore problems reported on this forum.

I really don't like the trend towards ever larger ssd and hdd drives. It just encourages people to store data on them. 16GB must be plenty for operating system and software. With my 8GB stec ssds I'm forced to store data on external drives (always making 2 copies), which is a good thing, so I'll be buying the smallest spare ssd available.
  (#5) Old

Default 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
You may want to try inserting some thin insulating washers between the SSD and the mounting posts. Some of the RunCore SSDs have a tendency to short pins there.
Thanks, I will definitely try this.

Re: backup comments, I agree, and I am generally pretty careful. I had a ton of important work stuff on my mini (did some work on the flights there and back) and guess what, nothing lost, all backed up successfully. We are human, it's likely we'll make a mistake now and again but yes we can always try and do better.

Re: it showing up as 0kb, well that is only via USB, BIOS still reports seeing it as a 64gb runcore, then again it showing up as 0kb I agree is a bad sign, I'd say it was likely the ssd was dead just not quite ready to give up yet (more fool me..) still haven't yet tried reformating and reinstalling XP as I'd like to get the photos back.

Just to repeat my q above, does a mini pci-e to usb cable exist? I googled but I found some confusing stuff, cards and the like.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#6) Old

Default 11-17-2009, 08:36 AM

Runcore make a mini PCIe (pata) to USB adaptor, and I bought one recently in the UK (from memoryC.com I believe) for about £14 + £4 postage. There are a few threads on this forum about this adaptor. I've tried it on a few stec ssds I acquired, but just to confirm that they are fried, not yet tried it on a working ssd.
  (#7) Old

Default 11-18-2009, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the tip, I just ordered that enclosure from memoryc. Not holding out much hope but worth a try.

(#8) Old

Default 11-27-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I have a decent understanding of computers, could you elaborate on this a little more? From my understanding all GNDs on the mobo go back into the grounding plane, which is also where the standoffs go into.

If this is the case then whatever voltage/noise/whatever is breaking the SSD; it would just as easily be able to enter the SSD via the PCIe GND connection.

If this noise is especially bad for the SSD and not any other components, than it sounds like the design problem with the SSD.

Is this what you are talking about? Or are you talking about a component on the SSD being too close to the GND ring surrounding the standoff hole on the SSD, and something feeding back into the GND plane?
  (#9) Old
Administrator

Default 11-28-2009, 12:32 AM

A component on the SSD is too close to the GND ring. It isn't a feedback, rather a trace or pin is shorting to the standoff.

Steve
  (#10) Old

Default 12-01-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
A component on the SSD is too close to the GND ring. It isn't a feedback, rather a trace or pin is shorting to the standoff.
your right, it's one of the samsung memory chips, mine arrived today, even if i wouldn't have read it here, it was too close for my liking. just install the screw with a non-conductive washer (nylon/paper etc) and you'll be fine.