Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
peakay peakay is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 26
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default How to Backup XP before converting - 10-15-2009, 05:05 AM

Hi All,

I am expecting my 10v soon and preparing to convert to osx. However, I would like to make a backup of the xp install if possible so that if I decide to sell it, I can restore it to "new" condition. I think i can easily sell a $200 windows laptop in my neighborhood.

Anyway, I don't have an external cd/dvd writer for the 10v and I only have 2 other macs in the house -- no PCs to use (other than the 10v before I wipe it for OSX)

Can anyone help me or point me to how to accomplish this given my situation?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
ppcinfo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 10-15-2009, 06:14 AM

Check out this link:

Cloning Your Disk Drive Dell Netbook Zealot

It explains the different methods of cloning your disk. I followed this procedure using two USB flash drives (one had Clonezilla on it, and the other I used to store the compressed cloned data).
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
peakay peakay is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 26
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcinfo View Post
Check out this link:

Cloning Your Disk Drive Dell Netbook Zealot

It explains the different methods of cloning your disk. I followed this procedure using two USB flash drives (one had Clonezilla on it, and the other I used to store the compressed cloned data).
Thanks -- this sounds like it will work.
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
sylmini sylmini is offline
Member
 
Posts: 99
Join Date: May 2009
Default 10-16-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Hi All,

I am expecting my 10v soon and preparing to convert to osx. However, I would like to make a backup of the xp install if possible so that if I decide to sell it, I can restore it to "new" condition. I think i can easily sell a $200 windows laptop in my neighborhood.

Anyway, I don't have an external cd/dvd writer for the 10v and I only have 2 other macs in the house -- no PCs to use (other than the 10v before I wipe it for OSX)

Can anyone help me or point me to how to accomplish this given my situation?

Thanks!
find a friend who has a windows computer (with cd) who can help you create a dell mini XP usb stick.
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
chenry chenry is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 1
Join Date: Oct 2009
Default 10-18-2009, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Hi All,

I am expecting my 10v soon and preparing to convert to osx. However, I would like to make a backup of the xp install if possible so that if I decide to sell it, I can restore it to "new" condition. I think i can easily sell a $200 windows laptop in my neighborhood.

Anyway, I don't have an external cd/dvd writer for the 10v and I only have 2 other macs in the house -- no PCs to use (other than the 10v before I wipe it for OSX)

Can anyone help me or point me to how to accomplish this given my situation?

Thanks!
I've used clonezilla very successfully on a number of PC based systems, including a Mini10v. Here's the link to create the Live USB version:
Clonezilla Live on USB flash drive or USB hard drive

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  (#6) Old
tanjeraldyne tanjeraldyne is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 101
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default 10-18-2009, 12:03 PM

quick question:

is it possible to have the cloning software and the cloned image (or images) in one bootable USB drive?

meaning, run the cloning software off the USB drive, store the image on the same USB drive (same goes for restoring the image).
Reply With Quote
  (#7) Old
golem golem is offline
Member
 
Posts: 72
Join Date: Jul 2009
Default 10-19-2009, 09:57 AM

Hello,

it is really easy. U must use a external usb harddrive. I make my backup
with true image 2009.

Have a nice day
golem
Reply With Quote
  (#8) Old
Edison Edison is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Default 12-26-2009, 05:41 AM

Then what is the WindowsXP-Reinstall-Dell CD for which ships with the 10v?
Reply With Quote
  (#9) Old
holmes4 holmes4 is offline
Administrator
 
holmes4's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,201
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Default 12-26-2009, 01:19 PM

If you have that CD, then that works fine for reinstalling XP - if you have a CD/DVD drive. Of course, it is also possible to create a bootable USB key with a copy of the CD.


Steve
Reply With Quote
  (#10) Old
dwsutton dwsutton is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default Acronis - 02-13-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
If you have that CD, then that works fine for reinstalling XP - if you have a CD/DVD drive. Of course, it is also possible to create a bootable USB key with a copy of the CD.
Ive used Acronis True Image Home for 10 years or so and it works great on PC backups. One note - if the HD is formatted for Mac you have to reformat it back before the restore works. You can even back up / restore on your home network.

Carbon Copy is what I use on my Mini with a Maxtor USB HD. in fact, I had issues with a kernel panic everytime I tried to install so i booted with Netbootmaker CD popped in my Snow Lep disk then restored from my backup from a Mini 9 on my new 10v . comes in really handy if you do an update from Mac and toast your system
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.