Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old

Default Does OSX on 10v *REALLY* work or not? - 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM

Hey there,

I bought a 10v off of Dell outlet yesterday and am concerned about the osx conversion. I look forward to using it and geeking with it, but really we bought it to have a 3rd computer so that our kids have another outlet when our 2 macs are busy. We won't use it all the time, so spending a grand on a macbook didn't seem reasonable and the small form factor will more easily allow us to use it upstairs, carry along, etc.

So.... I read some posts that say "everything works!" but then I read on an sound is not working after sleeping, there are some sleeping problems, etc.. If the sound flakes, sleep flakes, etc. it is not going to be truly usable in our family.

here are my concerns -- can someone validate if they are valid?

1) Will user switching and parental controls work properly? I know I am probably one of the few on here that use them, but the parental controls on the Mac are excellent and one of the big reasons we switched from PCs a year ago. Even windows 7 does not have the same functionality. Anyway, if user account switching hangs the system, we won't have a good experience.

2) is there any way to permanently correct the sound? A silent mac is not what we are after.

3) Are sleeping issues ever completely right?

4) Does the trackpad ever work on par with how it works as shipped win win xp?

Thanks all -- I really appreciate the help!

pk
  (#2) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 05:18 PM

Received my 10v last week. Installed 10.6 using NBM (latest version RC3) and EVERYTHING WORKS from the get go!

No fiddling, no worries, no hassles. Perfect little macbook mini with 6 hours batter life FTW!
  (#3) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 05:30 PM

same as above!
  (#4) Old

Send a message via ICQ to jcoll81 Send a message via AIM to jcoll81 Send a message via Skype™ to jcoll81
Default 10-14-2009, 05:44 PM

Agreed. #2-#4 on your list work perfectly with the new NBI release. I have not, however, messed with user switching so I can't speak to that end.

Dell Mini 10v | 1gb | 120gb HDD | OSX 10.6.2

(#5) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM

User switching works gr8 on my 10v
  (#6) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchiro View Post
Received my 10v last week. Installed 10.6 using NBM (latest version RC3) and EVERYTHING WORKS from the get go!
Good to hear guys. So no sound problems, lockups, touchpad works find, etc.?

It makes sense that more people post when they have problems than success, but I've been getting worried. The last thing I need is kids losing homework assignments, etc.

What install method did you use -- usb stick or did you remove your drive and set it up on your existing mac? Any recommendations on this?

Thanks!
  (#7) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
What install method did you use -- usb stick or did you remove your drive and set it up on your existing mac? Any recommendations on this?

Thanks!
Just did my first Mini 10v install minutes ago using USB method and NBI 0.8.3RC3.

Easy as pie and no problems. (I did downgrade BIOS to A04 first though)
  (#8) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:20 PM

I used NBM (latest version) to create a snow leopard install on an external hdd, and just booted off that to install. Went smooth as silk as if i was installing it on my MacBook Pro.

No problems with any lockups etc. I do struggle with the touchpad slightly but its mainly just the fact that its different to what i'm used to.
  (#9) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:25 PM

Snow Leopard works great on my 10v. Even used it to jailbreak an iPhone the other day. Just watch out for the user switching/guest login bug in 10.6.1 that will wipe out your user data. FWIW, Apple release 10.6.2 to developers a few days ago...
  (#10) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchiro View Post
I used NBM (latest version) to create a snow leopard install on an external hdd, and just booted off that to install.
Thanks Matt! Can you elaborate on this method...did you create it on an external drive and then clone it to the dell or ? I was contemplating removing the drive and popping it in my 2.5 sata enclosure, but i already have a 60gb drive in it (castoff from my mac mini) and if this is easier, maybe this is the way to go.

Thanks, -Paul