Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 05:40 PM

cheap ram for you guys - especially if you need 2 sticks

Follow the instructions http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1817061.

Less than $60 shipped to my house.
  (#12) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM

with 2gb its a litttle snappier and feels better.

I can see it when im at work with my 10v, and the one from my friend is a little.

right anguish says, no problem to have opened iwork, mail and surf to the same time.

Its a good upgrade for the 10v

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#13) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 06:14 PM

my 10v boots unusually quick. It less than a minute on a cold boot into windows 7 home premium, with 1gb.

I have been monitoring the usage of the ram and it idles at about 35, and gets up to about 70 when i open firefox, word, excel, and powerpoint.

as of right now, i dont see a need to rip it open to install 2gb...

i am pleasantly surprised with the performance in windows 7 home premium of this little guy. and the price isnt bad either * (i got a red one with the n280 for 194 on the outlet)
  (#14) Old

Default 01-31-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddehr026 View Post
I have been monitoring the usage of the ram and it idles at about 35, and gets up to about 70 when i open firefox, word, excel, and powerpoint.

as of right now, i dont see a need to rip it open to install 2gb...
I would say most people would not see a difference in the upgrade under normal use as above. Then again if it is possible to upgrade allbeit very difficult requiring a virtual stripdown of the machine which most possibly voids warranty .. why bother?

A netbook is for limited use due to processor spec not memory.
  (#15) Old

Default 01-31-2010, 11:06 PM

Hi everybody,
after reading most of the threads I have a question related to the 2GB upgrade.

I just bought a mini10v and I encountered a lot of troubles since it seems that depending on where I accessed the website the price and configuration options were different.
At the end I found what I wanted, called Dell and while I was there, googled "Dell Mini10v 2GB Ram" or something similar, the link was

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

well I told the guy at the phone what I found, and he pointed out that there was a compatibility issue
You can see by yourself (the graphic accelerator...)
Now, I get that this memory is 800MHz instead of 667, but I still would like to hear you about this "compatibility issue"
  (#16) Old
Administrator

Default 02-01-2010, 12:24 AM

There is no issue I am aware of. Many people have 2GB RAM in their 10v. The GMA950 has no problem with 2GB RAM.

Steve
  (#17) Old

Default 02-01-2010, 04:55 AM

The most User have signature on the bottom of their posts, there you ll see, many of us are using 2GB and that with no probs.

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#18) Old

Default 02-01-2010, 05:50 AM

It's a simple upgrade if you have ever worked on Dell laptops before. I had mine open and in pieces in less than 10 minutes. Upgrade was smooth and there most definitely are no compatibility issues.

It's worth it. You won't see any speed inprovement from this-that's not what RAM upgrades do. However, to have the extra GB in the computer for that time when I have a dozen apps open and I'm in a hurry to print or save or do some other disk/RAM intensive task and it's sitting there, grinding away at the swap file, it's worth it.
  (#19) Old

Default 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Yes I understand that the greater amount of ram would help me not as much with speed as it would for more apps open at the same time, but I am puzzled for the strange approach of the Dell website.

I see that most of the people have 2GB, though I didn't know, maybe Dell changed some component that I am not aware of.

Not a big deal, still, I won't open it for a while, but I am really puzzled with their approach for sales; they are a big company and the sales website is awful, it gives you different prices for what seems to be the same machine, and in this case it gives the incorrect information. And I would have bought that one linked above if they gave me the chance to get the 6-cell battery, the N280, and the 1510

BTW, my question is solved, as far as I understand the one I am buying is the same most of the people have here, and there will be no issues; I will open it in the moment I want to change the hd with a ssd, upgrade the ram, deal with the touchpad
Thanks everybody