General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#201) Old

Default 07-08-2010, 04:52 PM

yep sigh...

we'll figure it out eventually, if ours work so should yours .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklaw View Post
that didn't work either. i went out and bought a $9.99 WUSB100 v2 USB adapter and did this...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...post&p=1498154

now i have wifi via dongle. not the best option but it is compact enough.

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

hey Rick...

what wifi is with your 1012 just remembered a time when we encountered something similar and turned out he had a different wifi in his machine (dell has this habit of switching parts)

mine is a 1397

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#202) Old

Default 07-08-2010, 05:43 PM

i believe mine is the 1397 too. at least according to the dell website. how can i verify? i've ran osx86 tools before but can't find a link to download it anymore to do the lspci.
  (#203) Old

Default 07-09-2010, 02:13 AM

you can try to look at the logs or maybe the console (my 1012 is dual boot with win so it's easier for )

another way is booting from a linux live cd and do the check there.

(#204) Old

Default 07-10-2010, 09:33 AM

any new developments with putting mac osx on a 1012? does everything work?
  (#205) Old

Default 07-11-2010, 04:14 AM

is there a way to dual boot windows 7, keeping your current installation, adding mac os x using USB sticks with no access to macs in the preparation?

[What i have done]
1) Shrink windows partition to create an empty partition for os x
-partition not formatted at all.
2) Loaded NBI 083F dd image onto a thumbdrive and Snow leopard build 10A432 onto another thumbdrive using Win32DiskImager
3) Tried to load but I got PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable error.

Can anyone guide me? I know I may have to write or create an MBR or even format the partition (can I do it using partition magic?).
  (#206) Old
Administrator

Default 07-11-2010, 12:54 PM

You can check in the Dual Booting section of the forum. The boot error suggests a problem with how you created the USB drive, but I'll also comment that my experience was that I could not add OS X to an existing Windows install, I had to do it the other way around.

Steve
  (#207) Old

Default Booting Problems - 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedparkes View Post
11. Launch the ‘NetbookBootMaker 0.8.4pre.app’ application and from the select menu labeled ‘Select USB Partition:’ select the USB drive which is now titled ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ and then click ‘Prepare Boot Drive’ (you’ll be prompted for the Mac Administrator’s username and password).
12. Once complete, you can eject the USB drive and disconnect it from the Mac.

Stage 2 Boot from USB HDD and install Mac OS X
1. Turn on your Dell 1012
2. Select F12 During boot
3. Select the USB HDD from the boot selection
4. Once you’ve selected your language, click on the ‘Utilities’ menu and select ‘Disk Utility…’.
5. Create and format a “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”. Partition
6. Once complete, quit ‘Disk Utility’.
7. Configure your installation as you would on your normal Mac and let the installation run, make sure you put a password on your user account and then that’s it!

Thank you so much for your guide! It has been very helpful, but now I a facing one problem. When I attempted this before, I used another guide that seems to be a bad guide, haha (the guide can be found here: Tutorial How to Install Hackintosh Snow Leopard OSX on Dell Mini 10v | FameGadget.Com | Hottest, Newest and Famous Information). It got me to make a completely different memory stick that had NetbookBootCD on it. When I tried to boot from the NetbookBootCD USB stick, it just pauses for a few seconds, then boots into Windows 7 off my Internal HDD. It never told me anything about netbookmaker, and now I no longer have access to a Mac to fix this. When I try to boot from the HDD, it just pauses for a few seconds, and boots into my internal hdd windows 7, clearly it does not realize the external HDD is bootable.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 AM ----------

Or, if someone could upload a torrent or a file somewhere, send me something that has an image of either the install HDD, or an image of the partition on your hard drive that has Mac OS X, that would be awesome!!! I am doing this on a Mini 1012 by the way, not 10v. Thanks!
  (#208) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to pulisi
Default 07-14-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhycel View Post
I was curious if what they where talking about in the official 10.6.4 update tried so I decided to bite the bullet and tried out updating my 1012 to 10.6.4 since I guess Meklort was too busy to answer my PM which is understandable.

First I logged as root and backed up my /mach_kernel (cp -pr /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.bak) just in case...

And as expected had KP on boot, so I inserted the OSX install usb with nbi.8.4pre and booted from it.

I ran nbi and did fix permissions on my osx disk afterwards I opened the terminal from the Utilities menu and restored my mach_kernel and exited the installer.

Gladly it booted successfully after sometime

The weird thing now is when I look at About this mac it shows Version 10.6.4, I tried to run software update and it said it's up to date.

Anybody know why or am I really running on 10.6.4 now.
Dear Rhycel,
mine is 10.6.1, when i open about this mac, the processor name isn't show up like yours above N450blabla.
any clue to fix this? thx.

Mini 1012|N450|250GB|2GB ram|SL 10.6.1|Win7|Ubuntu NBR|Bluetooth|wifi|LAN|sound|No vga out
  (#209) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 07:06 AM

hi,

try to run the about this mac fix.

http://osx.mechdrew.com/downloads/aboutthismac.pkg

cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulisi View Post
Dear Rhycel,
mine is 10.6.1, when i open about this mac, the processor name isn't show up like yours above N450blabla.
any clue to fix this? thx.

(#210) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to pulisi
Default Qe/ci - 07-16-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhycel View Post
hi,

try to run the about this mac fix.

http://osx.mechdrew.com/downloads/aboutthismac.pkg

cheers!
thx rhycel. your prompt reply was cool.
anyway, is it worth to draw back to 10v a.k.a 1011 instead of QE/CI problem of our machine 1012?
after a while using this macdell, there's no point of expecting the real mac machine. but at least i can use it over a projector or slide, it's a heaven. do you think we soon get the cure?

Mini 1012|N450|250GB|2GB ram|SL 10.6.1|Win7|Ubuntu NBR|Bluetooth|wifi|LAN|sound|No vga out