Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default RunCore ProIV getting killed in new mini9s - 10-11-2009, 07:28 PM

I got three Dell Mini 9s in the recent offering. All the same.

Ordered three of the new faster RunCore Pro IV PATA 50mm SSDs (RCP-IV-P5032-C). This is the "T" shaped drive that uses the WWAN space.

One machine installed fine, no issues. The two remaining machines, both killed the SSDs. Machine 1, I installed the SSD and it showed up in bios as 0GB. Shutdown, installed it in an older mini9, it shows up as a 25gb drive, but works, returned it to the new mini9, installed it, still shows up as 0GB. Pulled it out again, connected to USB, can't write to it, can't repartition, can't do anything. SSD is dead. Machine 2, much the same thing. Installed, bios reports 0GB, installed in an older mini9, bios reports 25gb. Once the SSD is hosed and reports 25gb, the speed of it is dramatically reduced.

Both machines that "killed" the runcore pro SSDs work fine the the factory dell SSD and with an older 16gb standard runcore SSD.

All three minis are bios A05, with bluetooth and webcam options.
All three have Crucial 2gb memory upgrades.
All three work fine with the OEM dell 4gb SSD and with the old style 16gb RunCore SSD.

What gives? Could it be I just got two bad SSDs in the same shipment?
  (#2) Old

Default 10-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Yep - same experience here today..

Vostro A90 on A04 BIOS
Brand new out the box Runcore Pro IV Pata 50mm 32GB Mini PCIe SSD

BIOS sees it but reports 0MB....

Geparted etc can't see it to make a partition. XP pc can see it on a USB cable, knows what it is in System Devices but can't access it to put a partition on it etc

Not happy
  (#3) Old

Default New Dellmini9 may be the issue - 10-12-2009, 04:41 PM

More experimenting last night reveals more issues.

Took the half broke 32gb ssd that was reporting 25gb and put it back into the new dell mini9. Booted the machine into bios, ssd reported 0mb. Moved it back the old dell mini9, it now reports 0mb in that machine as well and will no longer boot.
  (#4) Old

Default 10-13-2009, 10:57 AM

wow - seems like a real run of bad luck, I have two 64gig normal runcore SSD's and have no problems with either.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-13-2009, 06:47 PM

Am returning mine and will I suppose get a replacement....

So need to ask the question - speak up anyone who has got these later SSDs working no probs?
  (#6) Old

Default RunCore ProIV getting killed in new mini9s - 10-13-2009, 07:02 PM

I have had my new Runcore Pro IV 32GB SSD for about 2 weeks in my DM9 and it is running well apart from a (very) faint whining noise when processing. Has anyone else noticed this with their PRO IV?

(#7) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 08:30 PM

Cheers KMC - a good news story! What with return shipping and a import customs bill, what started as a good value upgrade has turned a little sour for me. Hope I get a good one next time......
  (#8) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM

This thread title is misleading. How do you know these SSDs are not bad from the factory?
  (#9) Old

Default 10-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Fair point - as far as I am concerned my SSD was dead from the start, but then I didn't have the advantage of several mini9s to try it on. The first poster seems to have seen some limited life from several of his new drives in an older mini9 before they died in newer ones......

Anyway, given good reviews and no one but he and I moaning about it then hopefully it is not a widespread problem!
  (#10) Old

Default 10-16-2009, 06:15 AM

Hello, same here with me... my newly arrived Runcore IV PCIe 32GB is not being recognized by my Dell Mini 9. Returning the item to MDD. I hope I will get a good replacement and that this problem of new Runcores IV T-style for Dell Mini 9 are just but isolated cases and not widespread. Otherwise, I will be very disappointed since this is my first time to order a Runcore SSD. Just been encourage to buy one due to good reports in this mydellmini.com forum but I do realized that those good reports were actually for the old runcore SSD models.

Black Dell Mini 9 Dual Boot Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7 and Windows 7 RC. DellEFI 1.2a5
16GB SSD (STEC) 2gb RAM 16gb SDHC Bios A05
1.3MP camera and Bluetooth