Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Really Annoyed - 02-15-2010, 01:48 AM

I have had my Dell Mini 9 for a while, since the beginning of the hype. It has worked relentless, and proved to be a handy ultra-portable laptop, which is what I always wanted it to be.

Yesterday for the first time it has had a hiccup. Windows XP will not boot. Rather coincident that the computer had software updates the night before, and now it can no longer find the hard drive. I very annoyed, and very ticked off.

However this hs finally given me the motive to upgrade the slow bugger. So I have found I can get the Sodimm 3gb ram no problem, I am after a runcore 64gig PCI-e, however one of the Australian stores I checked does not have any wholesalers that stock it.

I also intend to switch to OSX I have been meaning to. I was thinking getting an Macbook Air, but that will cost a fair amount, that I can not part at this time, and university has started today.

I was going to buy the OS X cd, get the real legitimate thing. So can I do this with only the 16gig hard drive? I am informed that MAC will take half the drive up just installing, so therefore, I think getting a 64gig runcore, might be a good Idea.

any ideas? I intended to go OS X, and now I have the motive to do so. Im not interested in dodgy ways by the way.
  (#2) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 01:46 PM

A 16Gb drive will be enough to run OS X -- you're correct on the space requirements. If you are going to use the 16Gb, I'd make sure it still works and didn't crap out first. If you aren't storing a ton of stuff or have other major apps you want to put on, 16Gb will be okay. A Runcore is sufficiently faster in terms of read/write speeds. I would go for the 64Gb Runcore (or a smaller Runcore/SuperTalent/etc if you care about the cost) if you think ~8Gb or less of free space isn't going to be enough.

As for the vendor, I thought MyDigitalDiscount has worldwide shipping? I could be mistaken.. Portable Storage, Media Viewers, CompactFlash, Secure Digital, SDHC, SD Cards, and SSD!

OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) currently has good support with the latest Netbook Installer with the DM9. Meklort makes it really easy for just about anyone to use. It will require some additional tinkering to get full audio/mic right now though. You can find the guides and posts in the OS X section of the forums.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 02-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wskopar View Post
However this hs finally given me the motive to upgrade the slow bugger. So I have found I can get the Sodimm 3gb ram no problem,
I dont think that 3gb will work...I think it maxs out at 2gb..

PS. Welcome to the forum..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old

Default 02-15-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post

thanks but I was on the forum before, but I can not seem to access my old account
  (#5) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 05:17 AM

Hi Wskopar - Also in Ausi running OSX 10.6.2 on the mini 9, highly recommended typing this now on the mini running OSX. Have two runcore 64gig units purchased from digital direct using the website link above.

3gig is not supported as has been mentioned 2gig is fine - also win 7 runs very well on these units. It will be a bit of fun & games to get the install running but once up everything seems to go fine. Have this installed on the 16gig SETC drive around 7gig free on one and the other I stuffed the hibernation installation and only have 5 gig free
  (#6) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfLappy View Post
As for the vendor, I thought MyDigitalDiscount has worldwide shipping? I could be mistaken..
Yes, they has worldwide shipping. I live in Argentina and bought a Runcore SSD, received it seven days later.
  (#7) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
thanks but I was on the forum before, but I can not seem to access my old account
PM me your old account username/password and I will merge them.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#8) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I have had my Dell Mini 9 for a while, since the beginning of the hype. It has worked relentless, and proved to be a handy ultra-portable laptop, which is what I always wanted it to be.

Yesterday for the first time it has had a hiccup. Windows XP will not boot. Rather coincident that the computer had software updates the night before, and now it can no longer find the hard drive. I very annoyed, and very ticked off.

However this hs finally given me the motive to upgrade the slow bugger. So I have found I can get the Sodimm 3gb ram no problem, I am after a runcore 64gig PCI-e, however one of the Australian stores I checked does not have any wholesalers that stock it.

I also intend to switch to OSX I have been meaning to. I was thinking getting an Macbook Air, but that will cost a fair amount, that I can not part at this time, and university has started today.

I was going to buy the OS X cd, get the real legitimate thing. So can I do this with only the 16gig hard drive? I am informed that MAC will take half the drive up just installing, so therefore, I think getting a 64gig runcore, might be a good Idea.

any ideas? I intended to go OS X, and now I have the motive to do so. Im not interested in dodgy ways by the way.
Max Ram is 2gb. Get a Runcore and install direct from a Mac if possible, for now use Leopard and the DellEFI1.2a5, done in a few hours, zero tweaks, problem solved. PM me if you need advice, cheers.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

(#9) Old

Default 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfranczak3 View Post

My thought exactly....

On Line gaming addict....

Cherry Red Mini 9..64GB Runcore SSD...2GB Ram....16GB SDHC card, BT...Win XP Home, Logitech mouse
  (#10) Old

Default 02-19-2010, 07:55 PM

The problem sure smells like the following...

The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC)