Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#61) Old

Default 11-14-2009, 07:14 PM

The cost of prototyping and laying out a new card would be pretty high - but then, unless they were able to salvage and reinstate all those returns, their costs must be pretty high anyway......

(#62) Old

Default Runcore IV died after a few weeks - 11-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Had a 32GB Pro IV running well for a few weeks, replacing a 64 GB pro model. Then it died; can't access it via the built in USB port. Tried to access with a USB-drive adapter; it has problems, although I once got it to recognize a 0 gb drive. The short might have done this, but the screws were secure and doubt it suddenly decided to make contact. Most people seem to be having the failure from the get-go; in this case everything worked well for a while. Too bad, it was faster than the old model; less "hangs".
  (#63) Old

Default 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Not sure if this helps, but I have a Vostro a90 and it keeps frying the Dell 16gb ssd. Dell has sent me 2 ssd's and they fry after a week or two. Well I sent it in for repair and they had to replace the motherboard. Now I have a Vostro with a Inspiron MB. Just waiting to see if it fixed it. Could it be a batch of bad Vostro MB's?
  (#64) Old

Default Runcore's Solution Revealed - 01-02-2010, 09:20 AM

When I first saw this thread, I was glad that I forgot to pre-order! However, knowing Runcore's reputation for quality, I trusted they would find a fix. That's why when Mydigitaldiscount showed stock again two weeks ago, I crossed my fingers and placed my order. It seemed too soon for a redesign, so I was curious to see what had changed. The solution?... Electrical tape! That's right, the ENTIRE bottom of the SSD is covered with electrical tape! Only small notches are cut out for the screws. Primitive, but effective. I have un-installed, re-installed the SSD twice now and all seems well. My only concern is heat dissipation through this extra layer... time will tell. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
STP82995.JPG  
  (#65) Old

Default 01-02-2010, 05:34 PM

So now we know........ I could almost laugh!

Shame they couldn't have told us long ago
  (#66) Old

Default 01-02-2010, 10:40 PM

Do we people that run the regular Runcores need to insulate too?
Or is it not necessary?
  (#67) Old
Administrator

Default 01-02-2010, 11:50 PM

Doesn't seem to be necessary on the original models.

Steve
  (#68) Old

Default 01-19-2010, 12:25 AM

Mine came last week with the electrical tape, too. Everything worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdam View Post
When I first saw this thread, I was glad that I forgot to pre-order! However, knowing Runcore's reputation for quality, I trusted they would find a fix. That's why when Mydigitaldiscount showed stock again two weeks ago, I crossed my fingers and placed my order. It seemed too soon for a redesign, so I was curious to see what had changed. The solution?... Electrical tape! That's right, the ENTIRE bottom of the SSD is covered with electrical tape! Only small notches are cut out for the screws. Primitive, but effective. I have un-installed, re-installed the SSD twice now and all seems well. My only concern is heat dissipation through this extra layer... time will tell. Here's a pic.
  (#69) Old

Default 06-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Mine came today, it has nothing on the back. Should I dare to put it in??
Here's a pic:

Dell Mini 9 (Vostro A90), 32GB SuperTalent SSD, 2GB RAM, Win 7 pro
  (#70) Old
Administrator

Default 06-14-2010, 07:47 PM

That's the T-style - tape may not be necessary. Go ahead and try it.

Steve