General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#81) Old

Default 11-16-2010, 02:15 AM

UPDATE: Mini 10v with a 10.6.3 install disk/USB jump

on the Fourth reformat, install attempt everything went ok. Sound, Wifi, Bluetooth (no off), sound were working fine.

I then did the Bluetooth Off Terminal Mod. Upon update extra got a bluetooth kext panic.

Rebooted, and bluetooth could be turned off but now I had no wifi as the card was not registering. I repaired permissions and updated the kextcache to no avail.

so as a last resort, I took out the wifi card and put it back in. Rebooted and it is being recognized again with no problems.

If you have a "no wifi" card issue, try taking it out and then putting it back in. Might work for you.
  (#82) Old

Default 11-16-2010, 02:36 PM

OSX.6.4 - .5

smooth with no issues.. make sure you use the NBI with all the numbers ending in 51

Dell Mini 10v 1gb ram 160gb hdd  A04  boot os-OSX.6.7  XP sp3 on Vbox  NBI********51
  (#83) Old

Default What about 1012... - 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM

has anyone successfully updated with the 1012? I believe we still have to use the .8.3pre NBI but I doubt upgrade will be ok...

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#84) Old

Default 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM

well i just updated to 10.6.5 using the NBI 2010061621351 when restarting it comes up the the slash on the apple logo so i used recovery=y and tried again still same problem, i even used the 0.8.4 RC1 which lets me boot without recovery=y but no drivers for airport anyone have a suggestion which could help
  (#85) Old

Default no networking (ethernet or wifi) after update - 11-18-2010, 03:28 PM

I seem to have updated to 10.6.5 unintentionally on my triple boot mini 10v. Oops.

Now I no longer have any networking under OSX - in system preferences Ethernet says the cable is unplugged, and the system profiler says "This computer does not appear to have any PCI ethernet cards installed".

Airport / wifi doesn't any more work either.

I've got NBI 0.8.4 RC1 installed, and I've run it with several combinations of options, but still no joy with the networking.

Anyone able to help me get networking back? TIA.

P.S.

1) although I'm not sure it would fix my problem, the URL for the updated NBI at dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip

...which I've seen all over this forum... seems not to be working any more. Anyone got a copy of the file they could post?

2) I've also seen loads of references to "repair permissions" - being a linux user, I'm quite comfortable with chmod etc... but I don't know what files / directories this refers to, and what the permissions should be set to. Anyone able to enlighten me?
  (#86) Old

Default 11-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_git View Post
1) although I'm not sure it would fix my problem, the URL for the updated NBI at dropbox:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/863180/Netbo...212351.app.zip

...which I've seen all over this forum... seems not to be working any more. Anyone got a copy of the file they could post?

2) I've also seen loads of references to "repair permissions" - being a linux user, I'm quite comfortable with chmod etc... but I don't know what files / directories this refers to, and what the permissions should be set to. Anyone able to enlighten me?
1) I checked the dropbox link for NBI and it is working OK for me.

2) Use Disk Utility to repair permissions for the OSX partition.

Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 64 GB Stock STEC SSD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: OFF | NBI 0.8.4(20100616212351)
  (#87) Old

Default 11-19-2010, 04:22 AM

Updated fine (having previously used the NBI 2010061621351) & after getting some heads up regarding 'hibernation' & the fact that it was working on 10.6.5 (10v) I decided to try it out.

Yep it works fine (tried the same thing on two 10v's I've got).

What I did was:

1. Go to 'System Preferences > Security' & untick 'Use secure virtual memory'
2. Rebooted
3. Open up the 'Terminal' & typed
Code:
sudo pmset -g
to confirm where the 'sleepimage' was & what state my sleep was in (mine was set to hibernatemode 0)
4. Removed the 'sleepimage'
Code:
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
5. Enabled both sleep & deep sleep by typing
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3
6. Closed the lid & waited for it to sleep (which will take a little longer before the light starts to blink)
7. Removed the battery then inserted it back & powered it back on
8. Low & behold! it brought me back to my desktop with the 'terminal' window still open on my desktop.

YMMV, though as I said I tried it on two 10v's & both are hibernating fine

Thank You Meklort & everyone else who contributes

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A04 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | Mac OS 10.6.6 | Bluetooth | Usb Legacy OFF
DropBox Referral
  (#88) Old

Default 11-19-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaraeez View Post
Updated fine (having previously used the NBI 2010061621351) & after getting some heads up regarding 'hibernation' & the fact that it was working on 10.6.5 (10v) I decided to try it out.

Yep it works fine (tried the same thing on two 10v's I've got).

What I did was:

1. Go to 'System Preferences > Security' & untick 'Use secure virtual memory'
2. Rebooted
3. Open up the 'Terminal' & typed
Code:
sudo pmset -g
to confirm where the 'sleepimage' was & what state my sleep was in (mine was set to hibernatemode 0)
4. Removed the 'sleepimage'
Code:
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
5. Enabled both sleep & deep sleep by typing
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3
6. Closed the lid & waited for it to sleep (which will take a little longer before the light starts to blink)
7. Removed the battery then inserted it back & powered it back on
8. Low & behold! it brought me back to my desktop with the 'terminal' window still open on my desktop.

YMMV, though as I said I tried it on two 10v's & both are hibernating fine

Thank You Meklort & everyone else who contributes
This is my 1st post and 2nd Hackintosh. I built a system based on Zotac H55ITX-A-E with i5-750 to get my feet wet, then a Dell Mini 10v 1011.

I started with SL 10.6.3 and have now updated to 10.6.5 with full functionality. I used the current NetbookBootMaker and NetbookInstaller 0.8.4.

To stop the sleepimage notice I turned off Legacy USB, ran the 2 terminal commands, "sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage" and "sudo pmset hibernatemode 0". Then repaired permissions, rebooted and turned Legacy USB back on.

I don't think Legacy USB is an issue, and haven't reengaged the issue to test that. I have DOUBTS about disabling "Use secure virtual memory", based on my results it's not necessary.

I have lid sleep, that awakes on opening . . . display sleep that awakes on mouse, mouse pad or key activity . . . computer sleep including hard drive that awake on pressing the power key.

I have only one small issue, lid and computer sleep don't recover when I have a USB mouse plugged in, with or without Legacy USB enabled.

I got caught by the mirroring issue, and did the guess where the button is trick first. Later I located where the preference file was and made a backup copy that I would install from another boot drive if needed. I've tested video via VGA to VGA on a 38" Sharp LCD TV, and had great quality at high resolution.

The Dell Mini 10v hack was a much smoother experience than the Zotac, I'm amazed at how Mac Like it is and how well it performs. It gets a GeekBench of 1,000.

This forum was great help with the mirroring and sleepimage issues.

Many thanks to all you hackers.

I'm a Mac User gone awol, and love it.

Dell Mini 10v 1011, Atom N270, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, SL 10.6.5 fully functional, with Legacy USB On.
  (#89) Old

Default 11-19-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactition View Post
I have DOUBTS about disabling "Use secure virtual memory", based on my results it's not necessary.
Hi there,

I think your missing my point (or maybe Im missing yours ) I'm talking about getting 'deep sleep' to work whereby you do have to untick 'use secure virtual memory' if you want it to work..

Glad your enjoying your 'hackintoshes' though

Dell Mini 10v | N270 | A04 | 2GB RAM | 160GB | Mac OS 10.6.6 | Bluetooth | Usb Legacy OFF
DropBox Referral
  (#90) Old

Default thanks - still no wifi though - 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM

charley, thanks for your reply in #84

I managed to get ethernet and eventually wifi working again by restoring a backup I had of the /Extra directory - after several reboots OSX now seems to be seeing the both network interfaces.

Not sure what I did wrong in the first place, but pleased it's all working.

Thanks again.

[edit] - can't seem to change the title - my wifi is now working though.