General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

(#341) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 05:43 PM

i downloaded the one from post 67, i think the one from post 1 and post 67 are the same link (i could be wrong). i find it strange how everybody else is able to go into recovery mode except for me.
  (#342) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 06:54 PM

one other small question. If I have to run combo updates instead of the system updates from apple, Will other updates from apple cause problems? Such as itunes updates, pro-application updates (pro-tools apeture ect), safari updates and so on.
  (#343) Old

Default 07-14-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowxboy View Post
i downloaded the one from post 67, i think the one from post 1 and post 67 are the same link (i could be wrong). i find it strange how everybody else is able to go into recovery mode except for me.
Are you sure the install chameleon check box had been checked when you run NBI?

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by obis11 View Post
one other small question. If I have to run combo updates instead of the system updates from apple, Will other updates from apple cause problems? Such as itunes updates, pro-application updates (pro-tools apeture ect), safari updates and so on.
Sometimes they cause problem(s).
  (#344) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6680jc View Post
Are you sure the install chameleon check box had been checked when you run NBI?

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Sometimes they cause problem(s).
any idea which ones to avoid, or should I just avoid all of them? I would assume you should not skip safari updates and itunes updates because they are so exploitable.
  (#345) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
any idea which ones to avoid, or should I just avoid all of them? I would assume you should not skip safari updates and itunes updates because they are so exploitable.
I have no idea which one to avoid, but in my case, offline updates for safari, itunes and also combo update (download the updates from apple's website and then run/ install them) cause no problem at all.
I've read somewhere, some folks updated itunes on their mini using software update caused KP, but I have no idea what would happen if the tweaked NBI 0.8.4 rc1 has been installed.
If you feel curious about it, just try it, and report the result here which one causes problem(s).
no pain no gain.
  (#346) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 02:56 AM

so far I've never had problems from software updates with the updated .8.4rc1.

I guess if you didn't use kexts other than those in NBI then there shouldn't be any problems

cheers!

Quote:
I have no idea which one to avoid, but in my case, offline updates for safari, itunes and also combo update (download the updates from apple's website and then run/ install them) cause no problem at all.
I've read somewhere, some folks updated itunes on their mini using software update caused KP, but I have no idea what would happen if the tweaked NBI 0.8.4 rc1 has been installed.
If you feel curious about it, just try it, and report the result here which one causes problem(s).
no pain no gain.

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTgyNTQ3OTQ5
DELL MINI 10v | 2G | BLACK OSX 10.6.4
DELL MINI 1012 | 2G | ICE BLUE Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.4
  (#347) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 03:26 AM

SUCCESS! Dell Mini 10v spinning like a top on 10.6.4 thanks to Post #67!
Feels like Christmas Morning!
Meklort, you totally ROK!
I must say this forum is a jewel. It is rare to find so much helpful advice and follow-up. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE HERE!

http://suzanneally.com
My babies:
iPhone 3G iOS4, JB & UL
Hackintoshed Dell 10v
iMac
Macbook
  (#348) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
no pain no gain.
well I will do some experimenting if I can make an image of my installation and restore if anything goes wrong (meaning using disk utilities to make a dmg of my system like on a normal mac). Also I am really running low on backup space so I need another HD (actually 2 hard drives one for dmg backups and one for time machine) before I can do some experiments, if that is even plausible with this hacked install. This is somewhat new territory for me here so I have to make backups. But I'll make a thread or something if I get to that point soon, listing update or compatibility issues I run into.

one very small thing I have noticed is there are some artifacts in spaces that should not be there. They are from wrap around windows. Not sure why, but maybe it was this command I ran from terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Dashboard devmode YES

that is the only real modification I have done so far.
  (#349) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
well I will do some experimenting if I can make an image of my installation and restore if anything goes wrong (meaning using disk utilities to make a dmg of my system like on a normal mac). Also I am really running low on backup space so I need another HD (actually 2 hard drives one for dmg backups and one for time machine) before I can do some experiments, if that is even plausible with this hacked install. This is somewhat new territory for me here so I have to make backups. But I'll make a thread or something if I get to that point soon, listing update or compatibility issues I run into.
Why do you need two kinds of backup?
Is time machine backup not enough?
I think restoring a *.dmg backup of your entire disk will spend more time than reinstalling the OS.
Anyway, that's actually a good idea to have two kinds of backup.

Quote:

one very small thing I have noticed is there are some artifacts in spaces that should not be there. They are from wrap around windows. Not sure why, but maybe it was this command I ran from terminal:

defaults write com.apple.Dashboard devmode YES

that is the only real modification I have done so far.
Is that command used to enable dragging out the widgets from dashboad onto desktop?
Do the artifacs still exist when you disable that command?

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhycel View Post
so far I've never had problems from software updates with the updated .8.4rc1.

I guess if you didn't use kexts other than those in NBI then there shouldn't be any problems

cheers!

Maybe that's the answer, additional kext could cause problem.
  (#350) Old

Default 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM

Hey Guys,

I realized most of you did the NBI updates before updating the 10.6.4 patch.

Unfortunately, I did the 10.6.4 patch first and now I'm getting kernal panics about AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (without using recovery=y)

Any idea on how to fix this?

I don't feel like reinstalling mac osx all over again...

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm on an Acer Aspire AOA150.

FOr those who can't see the complete kernel panic because of the blocked screen. Try to boot with "-v".