Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades Discuss Dell Mini 9 Hardware and Upgrades.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Turning an Integrated Device On and Off Without a Switch - 10-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Ah-ha!

Thats it then, been wondering if i should go with the 3G version or the one without from Dell,

Then i'll just have to upgrade the Ram, SSD, remap the keyboard, put in a wireless n card, add in the GPS, wire it up the the bluetooth on/off and eventually add a multi-touch touchscreen..

Then i'll probably be happy!

Cheers Tom!
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Turning an Integrated Device On and Off Without a Switch - 10-24-2008, 09:14 PM

What someone needs to do is come up with a usb hub that has a male to female pci express connector on it so you can unplug the pcieboard, plug in the connector and plug the board back in voila tapping off the usb lines. Then for power a simple copper ring take a screw out and screw it to a ground. As for the live, perhaps pick one that runs to a chip or something then use one of those grip connectors that you can tighten up with a twist lock. You know the kind that they used to use on the xbox mod chips. That way it would not damage the mini at all and could be easily removed and reinstalled. Coupled with the above mod for control. Could be on to a winner.

EDIT-

The power could come from a second male to female connector on the trackpad! Two connectors one hub pre wired! I wonder if I could get those connectors from maplin or somewhere. You could even just use the connectors to solder to so you don't have to solder onto the mboard.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Turning an Integrated Device On and Off Without a Switch - 02-15-2009, 03:37 PM

Just ordered my mini 9.
Got dell outlet coupon of ebay (15% off) and paid with dell credit (2% off) ended up with Refurb minin 9, 8GB SSD, 1GB ram, 1.3MP camera, xp home for 242.00 USD shipped. Not to shabby.

Anyway, here are my questions:
1.The only question I see that has not been asked is the ground connection for each part. Can the MRB board switch ground and the ground to the GPS USB device be on the same wire/ solder connection? Or should I use 2 separate ground connections.
2. Could you not use the MRB isolator board and just disable the GPS USB device in device manager?
Thanks for any feedback
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Turning an Integrated Device On and Off Without a Switch - 02-16-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mini9
Just ordered my mini 9.
Got dell outlet coupon of ebay (15% off) and paid with dell credit (2% off) ended up with Refurb minin 9, 8GB SSD, 1GB ram, 1.3MP camera, xp home for 242.00 USD shipped. Not to shabby.
Good deal.
Quote:
Anyway, here are my questions:
1.The only question I see that has not been asked is the ground connection for each part. Can the MRB board switch ground and the ground to the GPS USB device be on the same wire/ solder connection? Or should I use 2 separate ground connections.
Yes, use the same ground. On the Mini's mobo the grounds for the USB power and the BT power are connected also, so you can tap in wherever. This is also in the instructions that come w/ the PIM. I'll see about getting those instructions onto the website for people's pre-purchase research.
Quote:
2. Could you not use the MRB isolator board and just disable the GPS USB device in device manager?
Thanks for any feedback
No, you need to use the WLSS software. Disabling the device in the device manager does not depower the BT adapter like the WLSS does, and that depowering is what triggers the PIM to turn off power to the connected device.

Take it easy,
Tom
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Turning an Integrated Device On and Off Without a Switch - 02-16-2009, 08:39 PM

Sounds like an awsome mod, can't wait for more details to come out. Being non perminant would be a nice touch.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Turning an Integrated Device On and Off Without a Switch - 02-17-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
Sounds like an awsome mod, can't wait for more details to come out. Being non perminant would be a nice touch.
What more details are you looking for? The PIM has been available for a while at http://www.teammrb.com/pim. If you have any questions, let me know!

Non-permanent is not an option right now, but that is not usually an issue since most integrated USB devices void the warranty themselves.
  (#17) Old

Default 09-08-2009, 03:18 PM

Hello Im a long time lurker and was interested in this upgrade but I have my WWAN slot taken up because I got my Mini 9 on a contract with Vodafone, would there still be enough room for me to fit the PIM in the laptop though?

Also im guessing there is no way to fit gps receiver in as well as the finger print scanner because there with be only one spare USB connection?

Any comments would be appreciated

(#18) Old

Default 01-01-2010, 04:40 PM

Why can't this be implemented with an IC AND gate? Inputs are 5V, V_BT, Vcc = 5V. 3.3V should be good enough to register as logical 1 on the input. I am thinking of adding GPS to my OS X-loaded mini 9 (assuming it works properly with Google Earth in USB form) and was initially going to implement power toggle with a rocker switch. I am concerned the space and cutting the case, though. Are there any 3.3V pads that are always enabled?

Desktop:
Mac OS X 10.6.2, Lian-Li PC-B10, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10H, Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.78GHz, 6GB RAM @ 1520MHz, GTX 260_216 896MB RAM, Dell WFP-2407HC, Quickcam Vision Pro
Notebook:
Mac OS X 10.6.2, MacBook, Intel Core Duo @ 2GHz, 2GB RAM, Wireless-N, 120GB 7200RPM HD
Netbook:
Mac OS X 10.6.2, Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom @ 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, Wireless-N, 32GB SSD, 32GB + 16GB SDHC, 32GB USB key for Time Machine, 1.3MP Webcam
  (#19) Old

Default 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayana View Post
Why can't this be implemented with an IC AND gate? Inputs are 5V, V_BT, Vcc = 5V. 3.3V should be good enough to register as logical 1 on the input. I am thinking of adding GPS to my OS X-loaded mini 9 (assuming it works properly with Google Earth in USB form) and was initially going to implement power toggle with a rocker switch. I am concerned the space and cutting the case, though. Are there any 3.3V pads that are always enabled?
I am pretty sure the 3.3+ pad on the WWAN slot is active when the machine is powered on.

Mini 10v | 2gb | 1.3mp | BT 2.1 | Windows 7 RC
Mini 9 | 2gb | 32gb SuperTalent | Windows 7 OEM

Tablet Project: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...r-w-video.html
  (#20) Old

Default 03-06-2012, 03:00 PM

acabtp, are you still watching? If so, do you have any more in stock?