Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 07:33 PM

Part of heat build-up is also a function of battery, meaning the 6-cell picks the base of the unit up off the table (allowing air flow/faster exchange of heat off of the case and to the environment), where the underside of a 3-cell-equipped machine sits right on the table or lap or whatever, reducing air flow (and delta T and all that other physics hooha).
  (#12) Old

Default 10-31-2009, 12:43 PM

I will be getting the 6-cell at a later date. It never got hot while sitting on the desk ,so it had to do with the RAM upgrade. I'll take it apart later today, check the heat pads, install Windows 7 and check the temps the next two days.
Watching youtube videos for 10 min. shouldn't stress the system that much.
  (#13) Old

Default 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM

i used the g-link 2 gig stick from newegg with heat spreader and i don't feel my netbook is that hot. it's all relative, until one puts a thermometer to it, then we have a standard by which to measure.

when i'm using my netbook for hours, i use a chill mat or fan pad. targus makes a really nice (thin) chill pad just for the netbook and it is great (cost $25 at Best Buy). i also bought a fold-up one off ebay for 1 cent (plus $4.50 shipping/handling). it works too and gives me a back up (i have three mini 10s).

it's something to think about. a fan doesn't have to cost that much, and it definitely cools the netbook down!

Mini 10v| Obs. Black| 1GB RAM| 160GB HDD| AO5| OSX 10.6.7
Mini 10v| Ice Blue| 2GB RAM| 160GB HDD| AO5| OSX 10.5.8
  (#14) Old

Default 02-01-2010, 06:57 PM

I just did the 2GB upgrade an hour ago. I use iStat to report CPU temperature in MacOS. It sat at ~52 average before the upgrade, and now it's sitting at ~54 or so.

I think in my case this probably has less to do with the new RAM causing extra heat, but with the removal and re-application of the thermal pads. The thermal pads were stuck to the metal cooling area on the bezel that you remove, so when I re-applied the bezel there could still be little pockets of air between the thermal pads and the processor. The best solution here would probably have been to buy two new thermal pads and re-apply them to the CPU itself.

As it stands now, I don't really care about the extra two degrees, and even that temperature is well within standard operating temperature pre-upgrade. There could easily be NO temperature difference, but I'm just reporting the first thing I saw after booting and the last thing I saw before installation.

So I think if you've got some temperature problems, the first thing you should check is that your thermal pads didn't tear during disassembly or reassembly.
  (#15) Old

Default 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM

after my ram upgrade my mini is getting hotter too. But did ever worked with the white macbook 2,4GHz? Thats going real hot. You should believe to your mini. Its not a big think, solong you can feel it, so long the heat is going out off the mini and all is fine

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM

you could always get a netbook chillpad like I got, the one I have is made by Targus...works great, but others make them as well, they really help out..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#17) Old

Default 02-02-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martytoof View Post
I just did the 2GB upgrade an hour ago. I use iStat to report CPU temperature in MacOS. It sat at ~52 average before the upgrade, and now it's sitting at ~54 or so.

I think in my case this probably has less to do with the new RAM causing extra heat, but with the removal and re-application of the thermal pads. The thermal pads were stuck to the metal cooling area on the bezel that you remove, so when I re-applied the bezel there could still be little pockets of air between the thermal pads and the processor. The best solution here would probably have been to buy two new thermal pads and re-apply them to the CPU itself.

As it stands now, I don't really care about the extra two degrees, and even that temperature is well within standard operating temperature pre-upgrade. There could easily be NO temperature difference, but I'm just reporting the first thing I saw after booting and the last thing I saw before installation.

So I think if you've got some temperature problems, the first thing you should check is that your thermal pads didn't tear during disassembly or reassembly.
+1

I believe this is more the issue than the upgrade.
  (#18) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Question 02-02-2010, 01:02 AM

I wonder how thermal paste would work on a Mini?

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#19) Old
Administrator

Default 02-02-2010, 02:08 AM

Too big a gap to fill. Thermal paste is meant for heat sinks that press directly against the chip heat spreader.

Steve
  (#20) Old

Default 02-02-2010, 02:55 AM

Well as soon as my get mine ill be pulling it apart to put in a ssd and more ram so ill buy a new thermal pad and install it and will let you guys know of temps once this has been done which should probably be late this week or sometime next week.....

Also are many people on here using heatspreaders on the ram?