Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Why update to 10.6.3?? - 03-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Hello,
I just read about this new update for OSX. I have also seen that many users are having problems updating their Mini, so for now, I'm not upgrading to 10.6.3.

Is there any GOOD reason to upgrade a Mini 10v? Why did you do it?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 03-30-2010, 07:34 PM

I personally did not have any issues and I upgraded because I like running the latest versions of OSX and NBI

Read the changelog for 10.6.3 to see the "reasons" behind upgrading. The only reason I really did was because security patches and so I could be on the most current version.

Always remember to make a backup before upgrading. It seems people always skip this step and then whine when their install gets borked.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcclure937 View Post
I personally did not have any issues and I upgraded because I like running the latest versions of OSX and NBI

Read the changelog for 10.6.3 to see the "reasons" behind upgrading. The only reason I really did was because security patches and so I could be on the most current version.

Always remember to make a backup before upgrading. It seems people always skip this step and then whine when their install gets borked.

do you have any legal Adobe CS apps installed on your setup? if yes, have you successfully used these apps for any extended period of time with 10.6.3 and .8.4 rc1?
  (#4) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM

I'd recommend against for the time being. I used the same software on the same hardware as "bmcclure937" and have lost my Audio. No one seems able or willing to offer any explanation or solution for this bug currently.

Wait or roll the dice, the choice is yours..

Mini10v: 1.67 Ghz Atom / 2 GB RAM
/ A04 / OS X 10.6.3 / NBI 0.8.4 RC1 / Windows 7 on 50gb partition.
  (#5) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapix View Post
Hello,
I just read about this new update for OSX. I have also seen that many users are having problems updating their Mini, so for now, I'm not upgrading to 10.6.3.

Is there any GOOD reason to upgrade a Mini 10v? Why did you do it?
Upgraded my 10v today with no problems whatsoever.

First thing I noticed after upgrading was my Trackpad was MUCH more stable and less jerky than before. Basically now behaves as it should, just like on my black MacBook.

I recommend upgrading to everyone on 10.6.2.

IMO it's worth it for the improved trackpad performance alone!
  (#6) Old

Default 03-30-2010, 11:26 PM

No problems with upgrading.. Mellkort has done a lot of work to make sure the upgrade goes smoothly, on the day of release no less.. The majority of people here with issues upgrading have not followed the simple instructions and are now having problems.. Remember, you can't just upgrade these machines without the proper instructions, they aren't real Macs.. Just run NBI 0.8.4RC1 and then run Software Update and be patient.. It takes about 40 mins start to finish, so make sure your sleep time is set to longer than that.. It's really all just common sense..

And to answer your question, it's about having the latest security updates above anything else.. Honestly, I can't see that anything else has changed much from the users' perspective..

White 10v | 1GB | 160GB | BT | A04 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | OS X 10.6.3 | MiniMac
  (#7) Old

Default 03-31-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyantist View Post
No problems with upgrading.. Mellkort has done a lot of work to make sure the upgrade goes smoothly, on the day of release no less.. The majority of people here with issues upgrading have not followed the simple instructions and are now having problems.. Remember, you can't just upgrade these machines without the proper instructions, they aren't real Macs.. Just run NBI 0.8.4RC1 and then run Software Update and be patient.. It takes about 40 mins start to finish, so make sure your sleep time is set to longer than that.. It's really all just common sense..

And to answer your question, it's about having the latest security updates above anything else.. Honestly, I can't see that anything else has changed much from the users' perspective..
actually, I would say that the majority of people with "no issues" with 10.6.3 are the type of folk who little more than browse the web and update their facebook status.

notice how my question about Adobe apps above was NOT ANSWERED....
  (#8) Old

Default 03-31-2010, 03:34 PM

I read the changelog before posting, I was asking about how 10.6.3 would make the 10v better. Can't find any difference for now, so I won't update for now.

thanks for your replies
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 03-31-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougA View Post
actually, I would say that the majority of people with "no issues" with 10.6.3 are the type of folk who little more than browse the web and update their facebook status.

notice how my question about Adobe apps above was NOT ANSWERED....
Your question was not answered because many people are probably not running Adobe Creative Suite on their netbooks. On top of that, I have only had time to check the forums once a day (if I am lucky) so I cannot get around to answering every question someone has asked me.

Sorry, I did not answer your question because I do not use Adobe CS. This is also not an issue with anything related to NBI... it seems to be an issue with the OSX 10.6.3 update itself.

Instead of criticizing everyone and placing the blame on NBI (and meklort) maybe you should do some research (which you finally did).

Finally, I stated this in another thread... this software is open source and is developed in meklort's free time. Please note the RC1 tag on the version. This means the version is a release candidate!!

If people would begin to read warnings more often, which are specifically outlined in the .8.4RC1 and OSX 10.6.3 threads, then maybe they would not run into these issues. And if they do run into problems they would understand that they are running software that is in development (RC) and they should have a backup on hand that can be easily restored!

I am glad you figured out the issue and am hoping Apple will have a fix so that you can run the Adobe apps successfully on your Mini again.

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#10) Old

Default 03-31-2010, 05:24 PM

Amen to that!