Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old

Default Installing W7 after OSX on GPT drive? - 04-07-2010, 06:21 AM

Hi,

Having read lots and got confused I am hoping someone can tell me if I need to start again or not!

I installed OSX on my drive by removing it from my 10V and using my mac - all is running wonderfully with 10.6.2 and I was happy.

I then wanted to put W7 on the drive. I have tried:

Copying an install of W7 from another drive onto a partition on my OSX drive. this doesn't work - on booting from chameleon it can't find a bootmgr for windows. The windows repair disk also refuses to recognise the windows partition either.

I then tried to install W7 to a partition on the OSX disk. the installer claims it can't install on a GPT disk.

Do I need to start again?!

Thanks...

PS: I am currently making a TM backup of the OSX install - I feel that the next step should be to:

1. install W7 as normal - leaving space for OSX.
2. boot from the TM backup.
3. copy to OSX partition left.
4. boot into OSX using chameleon usb drive.
5. install bootloader from NBI.
  (#2) Old

Default 04-07-2010, 08:35 PM

I'll answer my own post here - incase someone hits the same problem. I was unable to repair or re-install W7 on the GPT drive.

I also hit another problem. When I overwrote my XP partition with OSX I was no longer able to boot in to W7. It seems that when I originally installed W7 alongside XP the bootmanager was put in the XP partition. so when I deleted the XP partition I deleted the W7 loader...

I was able to fix this with a combination of using Ubuntu to fiddle with the partitions and then the W7 installer disk to fix the boot manager.

Triple booting happiness now without losing my W7 or Ubuntu installations
  (#3) Old

Default ?? - 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsey View Post
I'll answer my own post here - incase someone hits the same problem. I was unable to repair or re-install W7 on the GPT drive.

I also hit another problem. When I overwrote my XP partition with OSX I was no longer able to boot in to W7. It seems that when I originally installed W7 alongside XP the bootmanager was put in the XP partition. so when I deleted the XP partition I deleted the W7 loader...

I was able to fix this with a combination of using Ubuntu to fiddle with the partitions and then the W7 installer disk to fix the boot manager.

Triple booting happiness now without losing my W7 or Ubuntu installations
Hi there Morsey, so I don't understood what you finally did... You currently have triple boot: "Snow Leopard, W7, and Ubuntu" with chameleon? How you installed W7 after os-x? How did you dealed at the GPT partition error?

Thanks in advanced and regards!!
  (#4) Old

Default 08-11-2010, 03:50 PM

Boot from Ubuntu Live CD, install gptsync package for Ubuntu, then open Terminal (in Ubuntu) and run gptsync command. With this solution, I can get Windows 7 Installer work perfectly !
@Javier : He dealed with GPT problem by installing Mac OSX and Windows on a MBR disk