Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default Upgraded to Win7 Ultimate, lost duo Station - 02-11-2011, 01:10 AM

I upgraded my Duo to Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit - I needed domain login). I've reinstalled everything and have everything working except for the Duo Station software.

If I understand it right, Duo Station is supposed to provide the clock/photo frame utility when you put the Duo into the Audio Dock - and that's what it did with the original installation before I upgraded.

Now if I dock, nothing happens. If I run the software directly, I get the spinning circle/arrow pointer indicating something is loading, but it stops after a few seconds and nothing happens. Docking after running the software also has no effect.

I've uninstalled, redownloaded, and reinstalled with no luck.

Any tricks to getting this to work? I guess its a silly little utility, but I kind of liked it.
  (#2) Old

Default 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Probably a stupid question, but have you reinstalled all of the relevant software and drivers from the dell website?

There is some setup on it, because I have set mine up not to auto load when plugged in, and only to operate on demand (added a button to the bottom bar).

The drivers for the gadget I thought operated like a usb device (which I would have thought the rear dock is in drag)

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Dell Inspiron Duo - As Dell intended - small battery, not enough memory, and a slow hard drive, but not for long...
Not an apple in site!
  (#3) Old

Default 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjcodex View Post
Probably a stupid question, but have you reinstalled all of the relevant software and drivers from the dell website?

There is some setup on it, because I have set mine up not to auto load when plugged in, and only to operate on demand (added a button to the bottom bar).

The drivers for the gadget I thought operated like a usb device (which I would have thought the rear dock is in drag)

JJ
I believe I did - I downloaded and installed everything from the Dell Drivers and Downloads page.

I also re-downloaded the duo Station software from another Dell site (that I unfortunately didn't save), then uninstalled/reinstalled, no joy.

Is there a separate settings tool (e.g. control panel applet) or do you need to be in the program to change the settings?
  (#4) Old

Default 02-11-2011, 09:20 PM

Dont know if it helps, but there is a piece of software called Syncables installed on mine. To be fair, it may be a red herring, but I cannot think what else it would relate to....

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Dell Inspiron Duo - As Dell intended - small battery, not enough memory, and a slow hard drive, but not for long...
Not an apple in site!
  (#5) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but a quick Bing search shows 'Syncables' is a utility to transfer/sync files between computers. I don't recall if I had that before or not. I can try it, but it doesn't sound related.

I actually may not need it anymore. I installed the Origami Experience software from Microsoft's old UMPC project, and it provides the desktop clock functionality (the standard screen saver can provide the 'photo frame' capability), plus it seems to provide a pretty usable touch interface as well. There won't be any updates or support for it, and I'm still trying it out, but it seems to work pretty good so far.

Last edited by jonstr; 02-12-2011 at 12:17 AM.
  (#6) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Interesting about syncables - I may have to remove that, given that I have no need of it particularly . I assumed it was for the dock. Interesting!

JJ

Dell 11z - SU4100
Not an apple in site!
  (#7) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 06:36 PM

you need dell stage to run duo station.
install stage first, then install duo station.

you got them from: http://downloadstore.dell.com/media
you need your login information and to be on the computer to access the downloads

My Dell Duo Tips Blog: http://cmediastudio.wordpress.com/ca...-inspiron-duo/
Solder-mod'er from the eeeuser forums.
Inspiron duo - Win7 ult x64 - Linux Simul. OS
EEE 1000he - 2.1ghz OC - 12hr battery

Last edited by cms; 02-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.
  (#8) Old

Default 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms View Post
you need dell stage to run duo station.
install stage first, then install duo station.

you got them from: http://downloadstore.dell.com/media
you need your login information and to be on the computer to access the downloads
I hadn't thought about them being order-specific, so I just tried this. Unfortunately it didn't work. Stage runs, but Station does nothing - same behavior as before.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
  (#9) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-12-2011, 08:46 PM

After installing Win7 pro I'm seeing the same thing.
I'm not really worried about it however, because I had it turned off anyway.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#10) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to pappyfire
Default 02-27-2011, 03:36 PM

I did the instant upgrade thing to Win 7 Pro. Duo Station doesn't work for me either. Anyone figure out how to make it work?

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

@jonstr - how did you get Oragami to install? When I run the installer it says it's only for tablet PC's running Vista and exits.
Edit: Nevermind, there's 2 versions. Anyone trying this, make sure you download V2.
Edit 2: V2 will install but will not run. I get the only works on Vista error. When I run the compatability wizard, I get an error box saying the program force closed. Guess I'll uninstall it and look for something else.

Last edited by pappyfire; 02-27-2011 at 04:24 PM.