Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#1) Old

Default Stylus? - 11-19-2010, 03:40 PM

I'm coming into the Duo hype a little late, but I have't seen any mention of a stylus. Or is it finger only?

Seems like this would be perfect for a college student with Onenote, but only if it has a stylus.
  (#2) Old

Default 11-19-2010, 03:52 PM

The duo is a capacitive screen so no stylus unless you buy a third party stylus like the sausage stylus or the O-stylus ( oStylus - Capacitive Drawing Stylus ) Engadget puts the latter in high praise as a great capacitive stylus.
  (#3) Old

Default 08-22-2011, 04:18 PM

Usine one I got from bestbuy - not all stylus are alike so be careful that it will function on the touchscreen (the stash I had from my Dell pda did not)
  (#4) Old

Default stylus help, screen response? - 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM

I'm looking at getting this for a 13 yr old, she loves to draw. I've read where this touch screen is capacitive and I can use something like a Wacom stylus with it. My quesiton is; will the stylus act like a device and shut down the touch screen detection like tablets? So that her hand won't drag on the screen affecting items. Ideally the stylus is the only device so touvch screen would stop. She wants to use Gimp. Anybody have any experince with using the Duo like this? Thanx!
  (#5) Old

Default 12-07-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislynn5 View Post
I'm looking at getting this for a 13 yr old, she loves to draw. I've read where this touch screen is capacitive and I can use something like a Wacom stylus with it. My quesiton is; will the stylus act like a device and shut down the touch screen detection like tablets? So that her hand won't drag on the screen affecting items. Ideally the stylus is the only device so touvch screen would stop. She wants to use Gimp. Anybody have any experince with using the Duo like this? Thanx!
I wouldn't recommend this laptop for your daughter. The Screen has poor viewing angles, and any netbook resolution will be frustrating to use for any drawing purposes. I'd recommend you get a regular laptop, or a mac, and also get her a separate bamboo drawing pad. Drawing on the screen is a neat idea to people who don't draw, but ultimately a drawing pad is the way to go. Happy Holidays!
  (#6) Old

Default Stylus choice - 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Hi, new to the forum.
I totally agree with the above comments with the short comings of this machine. As a pro illustrator and animator I find the wacom tablet approach the best for any serious work- however I find the duo is so much more enjoyable for just picking up and sketching, and will always favour it if I am doing something without a client envolved. There is something quite nice about the feel of drawing on the screen directly. So I have tried most of the styli available. Ignore the rubber tipped ones- even the best ones feel draggy- they also split very easily. I have two favourites at the moment.
for a quality yet cheap one, go for the New Trent Limir Stylus - about ú6 on amazon
it is a bit small- but it also has a normal pen on the other end, which is handy. Because it has a metal weave texture tip, it glides quite well. If you have a bit of cash however go for a Nomad brush. I got stung on import fees getting it from America to England, but it was worth it. I got the short brush dual tip. That mixed with ArtRage painting software is a great combination.
  (#7) Old

Default Wacom Bamboo Duo Stylus - 06-30-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedd View Post
Hi, new to the forum.
I totally agree with the above comments with the short comings of this machine. As a pro illustrator and animator I find the wacom tablet approach the best for any serious work- however I find the duo is so much more enjoyable for just picking up and sketching, and will always favour it if I am doing something without a client envolved. There is something quite nice about the feel of drawing on the screen directly. So I have tried most of the styli available. Ignore the rubber tipped ones- even the best ones feel draggy- they also split very easily. I have two favourites at the moment.
for a quality yet cheap one, go for the New Trent Limir Stylus - about ú6 on amazon
it is a bit small- but it also has a normal pen on the other end, which is handy. Because it has a metal weave texture tip, it glides quite well. If you have a bit of cash however go for a Nomad brush. I got stung on import fees getting it from America to England, but it was worth it. I got the short brush dual tip. That mixed with ArtRage painting software is a great combination.
Thank you so much for this. I want to use the Duo where clients actually sign on the screen and was wondering if anyone tried the new Wacom Bamboo Duo Stylus on the Inspiron duo?