Dell Inspiron Duo Forum for discussion on the netbook/tablet hybrid by Dell, the Inspiron Duo.

(#11) Old

Default 12-04-2010, 09:06 PM

The keyboard looks almost identical to the one on my M101z, which I really like. I wouldn't describe it as cheap at all, but to each his own, I guess.

I'm happy to hear that the sluggishness is not as bad as it seemed from the Engadget review. I'm still planning to order one as soon as Dell makes a few more options available - probably sometime in January, from what I've read elsewhere. It's kind of disappointing because I was looking forward to spending some time playing with it during my Christmas vacation, but oh well.

To the OP - can you confirm whether or not yours has the Crystal HD card? Sorry if I've missed you answering this question elsewhere.

Mini 9 (910): Cherry Red, N270, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB STEC SSD, XP Home
Mini 10v (1011): Passion Purple, N270, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, XP Home
Inspiron 11z (1110): Passion Purple, SU4100, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Win7
Alienware M11x R1: Cosmic Black, SU7300, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Win7
Latitude 2110: Blue Ribbon, N470, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Touchscreen, Win7
Zino HD (400): True Blue, Athlon X2 3250e, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Win7
Plus a few others not discussed here...
  (#12) Old

Default 12-05-2010, 02:48 AM

Sorry, I dont what that is, but I'll look around for it when I get home.
  (#13) Old

Default 12-05-2010, 03:21 AM

ITs a HD video accelerator card that goes in the same card slots as your wifi card. Allows you to play 720+ res videos
  (#14) Old
Founder

Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 12-05-2010, 09:41 PM

I'm pretty sure it comes with the Broadcom Crystal HD as standard.

Looks good OP, thanks for sharing the photos, looks adorable in tablet mode! I think I will wait for more colours personally.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#15) Old

Default 12-05-2010, 09:55 PM

Does it have a fan ?
  (#16) Old

Default 12-05-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulver View Post
Does it have a fan ?
It does have a fan and my wife says it stays cooler than her old mini 10 that I got for her last year.
  (#17) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to pappyfire
Default 12-06-2010, 03:03 AM

Just got an email from Dell, mine has shipped!!! Supposed to be here by Wed. 12/7 - original date from Dell when I ordered it was 12/22, so it looks like they're getting them out quicker than they thought they would.
  (#18) Old

Default 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Video fall-off doesn't look as bad as I expected based on the Engadget review. I have no trouble making out the screen at any of the angle shots you provided, bad camera or not.

I just wish it had an SD reader, LAN jack, and video out.

-- Dan Shane --

Dell Latitude 2100 | Ball Field Green | 2 GB RAM | 500GB 7200 RPM HD | Windows 8.1 Enterprise| Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

Dell Inspiron Duo | 2 GB RAM | 320GB 7200 RPM HD | Windows 8.1 Enterprise| Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
  (#19) Old

Default 12-07-2010, 04:07 AM

just got mine. typing on it now in tablet mode. i like it.

The body is the soft touch material, with a metallic looking keyboard surround. All black with chainlink pattern on the flip side to the screen. Not bad looking and does not feel cheap and plasticky. It weighs a bit more than I expected as well, a little heavier than the mini9. This makes it a bit uncomfortable to hold for long periods in one hand. speaking of which, the fan is directed towards the back, left corner, so if you hold it in portrait mode with your left hand, the fan blows hot air into your palm.

I tried out the video capability with some hulu HD videos. In normal screen mode, it plays great, vibrant colour and smooth playback. However, when I make it full screen, it gets very unwatchable and stuttering. I will be doing some more testing to see how this can be improved if at all, or if this is just how it is. Device manager does show a Broadcom CrystalHD video decoder.

The screen is really a let down for what it is. I have tried looking at some pictures on picasa. I would need to slightly change my angle of view to see the picture clearly. It's a wide screen 8 3/4" x 4 7/8". I really would have preferred a wider view especially for longitudinal viewing, such as for book reading in tablet mode. The webcam is built into the no rotating part of the bezel which means you get no webcam in tablet mode.

Something that i did not see mentioned in previous reviews, it does contain a 3 axis accelerometer/magnetometer for changing the orientation of the screen, as well as a GPS, and bluetooth 3.0.

These are my first impressions on the Duo.

Suprolla

o Alpine White Mini 9 - 32GB Super Talent - 2GB RAM - Webcam - BT - Win8 CR - DELL BT Mouse - ATBATT extended battery - 10 hr battery life
o Chainlink Black Inspiron duo - 128GB Samsung SSD - 2GB RAM - Webcam - BT - GPS - Touchscreen - Accelerometer/magnetometer - Win 7 Home Premium
  (#20) Old

Default 12-07-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprolla View Post
... <snip> ...
Something that i did not see mentioned in previous reviews, it does contain a 3 axis accelerometer/magnetometer for changing the orientation of the screen, as well as a GPS, and bluetooth 3.0.

These are my first impressions on the Duo.
Is the GPS "Cell Phone Based"? (i.e., no Cell plan, no GSM chip, no GPS)

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )