Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old

Default New Mini 1012 has PCI-e headers - 10-14-2012, 12:27 AM

Just got a brand spanking new Dell Mini 1012 from my company (it was surplus stock that had been in a cupboard for years). Nicely specced machine with Win7 starter, wifi, 3G WWAN card, bluetooth, 6 cell battery and a 250GB hard drive. No HD screen unfortunately but am really liking the build quality and stellar battery life (I'm getting several hours browsing with wifi on).

Have spent half a day going through these forums and found it really useful. Was wondering if anyone could help with the following:

1. Have opened up the netbook for a poke around and it has all the PCI-e headers on the motherboard (maybe because it has WWAN?). The wifi card is half size and in the left slot, the WWAN card with two antennae is full length and in the middle slot whilst the third one on the right next to the bluetooth module is empty and half size. If I buy a Broadcom Crystal HD BCM970015 half size card to put in this slot, will it work? The Dell service manual for replacing the video accelerator card shows the Broadcom in the same place on the right hand side slot so I'm thinking I should be able to just buy the card and plug it in. However other posts are talking about the Mini 1012 WWAN PCI-e slot being USB-PCI so I'm unsure if this is the case with the third one too.

2. Don't need lots of disk space as I've already got a full blown laptop. Is there any noticeable performance upgrade swapping out the hard disk for an SSD? By this, I mean is it a worthwhile upgrade? For example, if Win7 currently takes half a minute to start, will an SSD cut this down to several seconds? Will check out the SSD threads for which one to get but if anyone has any recommendations for something that works well with the 1012, that'd be great (I'm looking at something like a 32GB Crucial or Kingston SATA II for about GBP ú35).

3. If I get an SSD drive, does it need to be SATA I, SATA II or SATA III or doesn't it matter since the Atom wouldn't max out SATA I?

4. Will be swapping out the 1GB memory for a 2GB stick. For anyone who has wiped the drive and installed XP, was it much quicker? I'm thinking it will be since the minimum requirements for XP are 128MB RAM and a Pentium 233 MHz whereas Win7 is 1GB RAM and a 1Ghz CPU! Also, I just can't get on with Win7, it seems to take twice as long to do even the simple stuff (e.g. search for hidden or system files like you can in XP).

5. Any recommendations for a good sleeve to protect that lovely glossy black chassis?

Thanks in adavnce for any help.

Regards,

Dark Horse
  (#2) Old

Default 10-14-2012, 08:59 AM

Hi dark horse
Ive just made the switch to SSD myself and it is very noticeable, I'm using 7 64bit with 2gb ram and although its nowhere near my desktop performance, it is plenty quick enough so you're not twiddling your thumbs waiting for it.
I noticed a big difference when I first doubled the ram, multitasking actually became useable and then since SSD load times are probably a quarter of what they were.

Can't comment on OS as so far I have only used 7 on the HDD and SSD I've had and I did play with Ubuntu aswell.
I'm sticking with 7 as I do actually find it very useable and my 1012 is more of an extension to the desktop.

Mini 1012 - Intel Atom N450 - OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB SSD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 667 RAM - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
  (#3) Old

Default 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveocee View Post
Hi dark horse
Ive just made the switch to SSD myself and it is very noticeable, I'm using 7 64bit with 2gb ram and although its nowhere near my desktop performance, it is plenty quick enough so you're not twiddling your thumbs waiting for it.
I noticed a big difference when I first doubled the ram, multitasking actually became useable and then since SSD load times are probably a quarter of what they were.

Can't comment on OS as so far I have only used 7 on the HDD and SSD I've had and I did play with Ubuntu aswell.
I'm sticking with 7 as I do actually find it very useable and my 1012 is more of an extension to the desktop.
Thanks for the reply Steve, I can see from your sig that OCZ Vertex in your Mini is SATA II.

Performance wise, how did you find Ubuntu compared to Win 7?
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM

@Dark Horse, I believe that SATA I,II,III work in the 1018, also Ubuntu is probably faster than Win 7 but I dont think as popular or has as many applications available as Win 7 and soon to be Win 8, but its your choice

BTW. installing an SSD over a traditional HD will be quicker regardless of the OS chosen

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#5) Old

Default 10-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Thanks rrfranczak3, I only need Open Office and web browsing so may give Ubuntu a go. The plan is to upgrade the RAM and install the Broadcom first and then the SSD later.

Anyone able to help with question 1 in my post about whether a Broadcom will work in the half PCI-e slot on the right hand side for a motherboard that has the headers intact?
  (#6) Old

Default 10-16-2012, 03:44 PM

dark horse i have a 1012 and run pinguyos on it and it runs great w/ 1 gig ram and still the 250 gig hd.plus pinguy has xbmc built in and alota other goodies worth a look imo
  (#7) Old

Default 10-16-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
Thanks for the reply Steve, I can see from your sig that OCZ Vertex in your Mini is SATA II.

Performance wise, how did you find Ubuntu compared to Win 7?
I chose the vertex 2 as all the specs i read and research i did said the 1012 only has sata2 connection. Couldn't see the point in spending over the odds on sata3 not to benefit from it.

I found Ubuntu really good to use and very snappy and it does bug me that I know W7 will bog down over time but for I use it to do some excel presentation work and the documents I create on my desktop just didnt look right in libre office on ubuntu.

Given the option I'd run ubuntu with MS office lol

Mini 1012 - Intel Atom N450 - OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB SSD - 2GB Crucial DDR2 667 RAM - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
  (#8) Old

Default 10-18-2012, 08:07 AM

@mrreality13, thanks for that, have never heard of pinguyos before but it looks like exactly the type of Linux build I'm after; works out-of-the-box and more suited for people moving from Windows/Apple.

@Steveocee, yes, I figured the little Mini 1012 had only SATA2 so that's what I'll be sticking with. Don't know much about SSD but Intel and Samsung both have TRIM support for older OS like XP.

Dell Mini 1012 (Obsidian Black)
Atom N450 | 2GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Vertex Plus R2 SATA2 SSD
1024x600 screen |
Broadcom Crystal HD BCM70015
Bluetooth | 3G WWAN with GPS | Win 7 Starter | 6-Cell battery

Pending Upgrades (in order)
2GB RAM | Broadcom Crystal HD BCM70015 | SSD | 1366 x 768 HD screen
  (#9) Old

Default 11-11-2012, 10:47 PM

Quick update on this, I've installed a 2GB and also the Broadcom Crystal HD.

Before installing the Crystal card though, I ran some tests and was pleasantly surprised. Using the latest stock Intel GMA 3150 drivers version 15.12.75.50.7.2230 (8.14.10.2230), I was able to run full 1080p flash video's fairly smoothly with only 60% CPU load (Dark Knight trailer on YouTube). 720 ran absolutely fine with about 50% CPU load.

Not able to run any 1080p encoded mpegs and even 720 mpegs were choppy. 1080p maxed out the CPU at 100% whereas 720 struggled at 80-90% load. Test video's were Pirates of The Carribean trailers from Is your computer fast enough for Blu-ray or HD DVD playback? - Digital Video Forums.

Installed the Broadcom and tried the same videos again and the difference was dramatic. 1080p ran at around 40-50% CPU load whilst 720p was about 40%.

So in short then, if you wanna play 1080p flash, the Mini 1012 can already do this using the latest Intel drivers that have hardware accelaration support. If you wanna play anything more demanding, it's worth picking up one of the Broadcom's.

Can't seem to attach files so here's a link showing the installed Broadcom in the second PCI-E header slot just below the CPU heatsink.

http://i49.tinypic.com/27y95ps.jpg

Dell Mini 1012 (Obsidian Black)
Atom N450 | 2GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Vertex Plus R2 SATA2 SSD
1024x600 screen |
Broadcom Crystal HD BCM70015
Bluetooth | 3G WWAN with GPS | Win 7 Starter | 6-Cell battery

Pending Upgrades (in order)
2GB RAM | Broadcom Crystal HD BCM70015 | SSD | 1366 x 768 HD screen

Last edited by Dark Horse; 11-11-2012 at 10:51 PM.