Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 1012 - 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM

Hello everyone

I'm new to the forum and have been watching posts for a while, but cannot seem to find either an exact replication of my situation, or a solution that works.

I cannot get the BBC iPlayer downloads to run without jerkiness on my machine - I am not expecting to run them in HD. I have Flash 10.1, Intel GMA 3150 driver 8.14.10.2117 (latest), Broadcom Crystal HD driver 3.4.0.0 and 2GB of RAM. Processor is the standard 1.66Ghz N450. I am running Win7 Ultimate with Aero and getting 3.1 on the Graphics score. Progs on Startup are minimal (Dell Dock, Bluetooth and SRS sound). I am running McAfee antivirus too. When running iPlayer, CPU is 97-99% and RAM is about 61%.

DVD's run from the external drive are absolutely fine and have excellent flow and definition, but iPlayer just 'stutters'.

I would be grateful for any help, suggestions or comments. I can supply more data if required. Thank you

PaulMac - Dell Mini 1012 Black, 2GB RAM, N450 1.66Ghz, GMA3150, SRS, HD screen, Broadcom Crystal HD, WWAN, Bluetooth, Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit (Oh, and a Studio 1737 'Full Monty' stay-at-home workhorse)
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM

turn off McAfee and Dell Dock...both have processes that constantly run in the background..it might help a little..also run msconfig and see if there are any other processes that you can turnoff at boot time

PS. Welcome to the forum...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default Dell Mini 1012 and BBC iPlayer - 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Hello rrfranczak3

Thanks for the advice and info. I disabled Dell Dock and McAfee and (after reboot) it didn't make a shred of difference - still almost total CPU usage and stuttering image.

I also looked at MSCONFIG and disabled many services that were loading on startup that I felt I didn't need at kick off (or could load when required) and then rebooted.

Still the same I am afraid. Is it just the N450 that can't handle it?

PaulMac - Dell Mini 1012 Black, 2GB RAM, N450 1.66Ghz, GMA3150, SRS, HD screen, Broadcom Crystal HD, WWAN, Bluetooth, Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit (Oh, and a Studio 1737 'Full Monty' stay-at-home workhorse)
  (#4) Old

Default 08-26-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMac View Post
Hello rrfranczak3

Thanks for the advice and info. I disabled Dell Dock and McAfee and (after reboot) it didn't make a shred of difference - still almost total CPU usage and stuttering image.

I also looked at MSCONFIG and disabled many services that were loading on startup that I felt I didn't need at kick off (or could load when required) and then rebooted.

Still the same I am afraid. Is it just the N450 that can't handle it?
I had a similar situation with a friends Mini. But I've worked with Minis so I knew something else was really screwed up. It had almost 100 % memory usage and CPU usage all the time. Even when I used msconfig to disable almost everything and unloaded the virus, adware and any other programs I could find. None of this made a noticeable impact. I didn't have time to deal with it any further so I downloaded the latest drivers and reinstalled Win 7 on a clean partition, erasing the recovery partition and didn't let Win7 make that little partition it likes to make at the beginning of the drive to isolate the startup files. After the reinstall of Win7, AVG, all their documents, pictures, music, etc, processor usage was down to 10% or less and memory was ~30%. It's been running for several weeks now without any signs of the problem.

I checked the drive a million times for adware, viruses, etc and nothing was found so I have no idea what was causing the problem. It looked like the Intel drivers might be causing the problem but I reloaded the same drivers and they are working well now.

It was really strange and had not seen it before or since. Sounds like you might be having the same issue. It couldn't hurt to reload.

Forgot to mention that I didn't load ANY of Dell's programs except drivers.

Good Luck!
  (#5) Old

Default Dell Mini 1012 - 08-26-2010, 07:47 AM

Thank you, I'll give it a try and report back!

Regards

Paul