Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default My progress with Lion on a 10v - 12-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Hi everyone, I'm going to chart my progress with Lion here and I'll start by saying that I am now in the process of installing DP1 onto a usb stick on my main hackingtosh in order to get the necessary files I need.
I would also like to know how many others are interested in giving it a go, either now or later when full tutorials are available.
So don't be shy, post up if you are going to follow any of the lion threads.
Mike

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Well installing DP1 to the usb stick didn't work, setup ran to the end then the computer restarted but the usb stick wasn't listed by chameleon and when I browsed it I could only see a folder MAC OS X Install Data and there were 3 hidden folders.
No sign of the normal osx files.
I will make some room on a hard drive and try again.
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04
  (#2) Old

Default 12-24-2011, 11:38 PM

I've installed Lion DP1 on a 10v. It's not special if that's what your looking for. Despite what you may have read, the proof of concept authors refuse to explain how to strip out enough 64bit stuff to allow Lion 10.7 final to function completely. The wiki author emailed me and stated that he left steps out of his lion install explanation. So all that talk about DP1 out performing SL is nothing more than talk. There are more programs that cause problems besides finder.

Last edited by jmacie; 12-24-2011 at 11:49 PM.
  (#3) Old

Default 12-25-2011, 03:06 AM

So we are basically pissing in the wind then.

Say we strip out the 64bit files, we would obviously have to be UNIX geniuses to recode a lot of stuff to work in a 32bit environment. Seeing as apple have dropped 32bit from lion we would effectively have to write a new OS. I kind of feel like I waded into a river and got zapped in the nads by an electric eel. Thanks for the heads up jmacie. At least you were kind enough to point this out before we wandered too far down this road to nowhere. Best get cracking on tweaking my 10.6.8 install then.
  (#4) Old

Default 12-25-2011, 07:21 AM

Thanks jmacie, I was just about to shrink my win7 partition to install dp1 to grab those files but won't bother now.
Is there at least a list of things that can't at the moment run on 32bit?
Also you say you installed dp1 on your 10v but have you tried hacking the final with the dp1 finder etc?
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04
  (#5) Old

Default 12-26-2011, 05:51 PM

I first installed DP1, it worked, but not better than 10.6.7. Then I took a clone of my main computer's 10.7 install. I replaced all the files stated on wiki. Loaded it on mini10v, didn't work for me. That means nothing though, I fail alot. 10.7 did load, just didn't swap out 32bitfinder properly, I guess. I managed to contact the wiki poster. He stated that he left some steps off his wiki posting. I imagine someone CAN make it happen. I still do searches, but no luck on getting info. I don't have a list of program's that don't work. I made the statement about finder not being the only problem for 32 bit install, as that was more information I had gathered from other sources that had attempted these installs. Good luck, I'm still looking.
  (#6) Old

Default 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM

Any idea why and which steps he left off?
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04
  (#7) Old

Default 01-05-2012, 04:11 AM

Any news Crabhunter?
  (#8) Old

Default 01-06-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltymac View Post
Any news Crabhunter?
No, I'm waiting for jackieboy8 to put up a tutorial, I haven't been able to install dp1 to grab those files off
Mike

Dell inspiron mini 1011
A06
OSX10.6.8
Win7
Ubuntu 13.04