Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default Screen flicker issue - 01-20-2011, 04:06 AM

Mini 10 (1010) w/ 1GB ram and Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) version installed and running. System runs fine but I've noticed some heavy screen flickering at times. This happens even when only the viewing the desktop with no applications running. Sometimes it goes away by itself, other times I can adjust the screen angle and sometimes the screen goes very dark and you can just barely make out the icons. This screen flicker can happen shortly after startup, after running it for an hour or it might not show. I was wondering if maybe the video cable could be pinched, loose or wearing out. Has anyone seen issues like this on a mini before I disassemble it? Thanks.
  (#2) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 03:49 AM

Did you ever find a resolution for this? I am having the same problem with my Mini 10.

Any help to this screen flickering problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 07-24-2011, 04:04 AM

basically all you can do is make sure that your video drivers are the latest...check Intel's site and maybe upgrade to 2gb that would help..also minimize (shutdown other processes running in the background)

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old

Default 07-24-2011, 01:01 PM

This is unlikely to be a software issue. It sounds like the CCFL inverter or tube going out, but it could also be a cabling issue if it changes with movement of the screen. I don't know if the 1010 ever switched to LED, but if it's an older model, it is most likely using a CCFL backlit screen. Disassembly is going to be needed to determine if there is a cabling issue.

KuoH
  (#5) Old

Default 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Mini 10 (1010) w/ 1GB ram and Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) version installed and running. System runs fine but I've noticed some heavy screen flickering at times. This happens even when only the viewing the desktop with no applications running. Sometimes it goes away by itself, other times I can adjust the screen angle and sometimes the screen goes very dark and you can just barely make out the icons. This screen flicker can happen shortly after startup, after running it for an hour or it might not show. I was wondering if maybe the video cable could be pinched, loose or wearing out. Has anyone seen issues like this on a mini before I disassemble it? Thanks.
Hello yes I have a similar problem. The screen goes black, flickers & sometimes vertical pale lines appear. If I move the screen backwards & forwards it infrequently helps. It usually is OK, and holds, when the screen is nearly closed.... great!
My only solution is to press the screen at the bottom left hand corner between my thumb & forefinger! - A great tec solution. I suspect the attachment 'ribbons' from the screen to the base are becoming loose or worn. If anyone has any remedies - p l e a s e help. It is so annoying. Thanks