Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#1) Old

Default 11z dual core machines from dell outlet - 06-16-2010, 05:54 PM

I'm not sure if this is the proper way of notifying folks...

Dell Home Outlet has just put up some nicely configured 11z machines (dual core, 6 cell battery, Windows 7 Home Premium, 250gb drive, choice of color) for $309.

Additional 15% off coupon 5CSK5SF80C$2T0 expires tonight (6/16).
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 06-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Ha, except for one Celeron powered black unit, they are all red or pink!
I'd need more than 15% off to buy a red or pink laptop.

C:\M11xR2\320GBHD\4GBRAM\W7HP
D:\duo\320GBHD\2GBRAM\W8DP
  (#3) Old

Default 06-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Wow! That is a nice deal. I think I paid $419 (before coupon) for mine a few months ago. I wonder if these have the old touchpad and that's why they're so cheap? I'm sort of tempted to order one to find out - the touchpad is the only thing I don't like about my 11z.
  (#4) Old

Default 06-18-2010, 03:29 AM

I got in on an Ice blue 11z with SU4100, 2gb RAM, 250GB HDD, 6 cell batt, Win7 Home Premium x64 for $285 shipped. I have been using Latitudes for a while; D600, D630, and now an E6400. My E6400 is running an Intel P8600 (2.4ghz) with 4gb RAM and Vista Business 32bit. Anyone have a rough idea of how big of a perf diff I will see just doing RDP and web surfing mostly on the 11z? full-screen HD Flash playback? I know the E6400 price point is about 4x, but wondering how the 11z is in terms of perf with those specs and overall fit/finish feel?

And what's this about new and old touchpad I keep hearing?
  (#5) Old

Default Me too! - 06-23-2010, 04:22 PM

I also just received my 11z from the outlet. I got a red one with the SU4100 / 2GB / 250GB / Win7. I was glad to learn that the touchpad was a Synaptics with two "normal" physical buttons on the bottom.
  (#6) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedice View Post
I also just received my 11z from the outlet. I got a red one with the SU4100 / 2GB / 250GB / Win7. I was glad to learn that the touchpad was a Synaptics with two "normal" physical buttons on the bottom.
Darn! I knew I should have jumped on that deal! LOL
  (#7) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem04 View Post
Darn! I knew I should have jumped on that deal! LOL
Yeah, $280 shipped for this machine is a steal IMHO! And other then the sticker on the bottom (which has disappeared ) you wouldn't know it was a referb!

11z - Red - SU4100 - 2GB - 250 GB HD - Win 7 Home Premium
  (#8) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 06:05 PM

I saw a lot of the nice ones, but didn't have a coupon. Once I got the coupon, they all disappeared. I did manage to snag a celeron. Not great, but I tend to rdp to my main system anyway.

If I see two distinct buttons at the bottom, does that mean it's Synaptics? How do I confirm it and is there any advantage to having it?
  (#9) Old

Default 06-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaram View Post
I saw a lot of the nice ones, but didn't have a coupon. Once I got the coupon, they all disappeared. I did manage to snag a celeron. Not great, but I tend to rdp to my main system anyway.

If I see two distinct buttons at the bottom, does that mean it's Synaptics? How do I confirm it and is there any advantage to having it?
The old touchpad (Elan) has the buttons integrated, whereas the new version (Synaptics) has two separate buttons below the touchpad itself. IMO, whether the new one is better or worse is mostly a matter of personal preference, but I hate the integrated buttons and would much prefer the newer touchpad. It's really easy to accidentally zoom in/out and do a lot of other things unintentionally, too.

There are pictures of the original touchpad here if you want to see the difference:

Review Update: Dell Inspiron 11z

The new touchpad can be seen here:

Dell Inspiron 11z gets a new touchpad

Based on your description, I would think you have the newer one. You should be able to confirm in device manager.

Some of the other forum members have successfully replaced the old touchpad with the new one, but I think you have to replace the entire palmrest to do so. I'm too scared to do that (I've never done anything with hardware other than upgrading RAM and HDDs), so I'll stick with what I've got - unless I manage to stumble across a fantastic deal from the Outlet and decide to sell the one I have now. ;-)
  (#10) Old

Default 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriem04 View Post
Some of the other forum members have successfully replaced the old touchpad with the new one, but I think you have to replace the entire palmrest to do so. I'm too scared to do that (I've never done anything with hardware other than upgrading RAM and HDDs), so I'll stick with what I've got - unless I manage to stumble across a fantastic deal from the Outlet and decide to sell the one I have now. ;-)
The touchpad is integrated into the palm rest (the silver strip that sits in front of the keyboard) - it is very easy to swap over (I've done it on a couple of 11z laptops) - instructions here:

Documentation

- Simon.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230

Tags
11z, dell outlet