Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#61) Old

Send a message via AIM to Ginsu543
Default 09-29-2011, 12:18 AM

Awesome! Glad it worked for you as well.

#1: Obsidian Black Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 1.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
#2: Alpine White Mini 9 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 32 GB Runcore IV | 32 GB Transcend | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A07
Server: Obsidian Black Vostro A90 | 2 GB Kingston HyperX CL3 | 64 GB Runcore | 1.5 TB WD Elements | 0.3 MP Webcam | BT | Sound & Mic Fix | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 351 | A06
  (#62) Old

Question 10-04-2011, 04:20 PM

I'm stuck on PATCH2.txt

* 1. Put Method (DTGP) in your dsdt right after Method (_WAK),
* or check if it exists from previous fixes.

Method (_WAK) does not exist and what do they mean by previous fixes?

not sure what I'm missing and noticed in the iASL me an error when compliling.

ASL Input: /Extra/tmp/DSDT.dsl - 5751 lines, 188870 bytes, 1924 keywords
Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 34 Optimizations

Thanks

Dell Mini 9 * 1GB Ram * 16GB SSD * OSX 10.6.7 * NBI 0.85pre
  (#63) Old

Default Sound bundle. - 10-11-2011, 02:40 AM

I'm quite the rookie, but through the sea of information and help on this site I have been able to get a near-perfect mac out of my Dell Mini 9. The only thing I have been unsuccessful at is fixing my internal mic. I'm a big fan of trial and error, and have been content learning through the error portion of but my last 2 attempts at this process ended in failure and fresh installs. This bundle seems to be the most successful way of fixing the mic problem, yet I can't get it to work. Help!

A quick rundown of my install:
NetbookCD 0.8.3 RC4
10.6.0 install
Special NetbookInstaller xxx2351
Dual 10.6.7 update...and everything is working great but the mic.

If someone would take the time to Barney me through the 10 steps in the INSTALL.txt file I'd be very grateful because I'm obviously missing something. This is my first post so go easy on me.
  (#64) Old

Default 10-11-2011, 06:48 AM

It's been a while since I did my fix, but here are a few things that caught me
DSDT would never recompile, there is a version someone posted in this thread to download, its worked at 10.6.2 for me and 10.6.7.
Extra and Extra.bak are two different things, first time it ended with me doing a reinstall. I was completely new to OS X, last Mac I used personally ran OS 7.5.5. This most recent install, it took about 5 minutes. Doing it a few times has helped.

Heres the spec im running as that does define a few things.
32GB Runcore
NBI Special 0.8.4

Dell M4500 i7 940XM, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Quadro FX1800M, 15.6" screen at 1080p. Win 7 Pro.

Black Dell Mini 9. 2GB G Skill RAM, 32GB Runcore, Dell 1510 "Airport Extreme", US Intl keyboard, 2.0 MP webcam, OS X 10.6.7,Bluetooth, sleep, ALC 268 fix and a proper Apple logo.
  (#65) Old

Default 10-11-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu543 View Post
Just FYI, I also updated to 10.6.7 with the combo update and NBI 351. But instead of doing the full patch (i.e., recompiling DSDT.aml, etc.), I simply renamed AppleHDA.kext in my /Extra directory to AppleHDA.kext.bak, copied over ALC268.kext and AppleHDA.kext from the bundle to my /Extra/AdditionalExtensions directory, and ran UpdateExtra.app.

Voila! Now I have fully working sound and internal mic, which still work after coming back from sleep.

Thanks to everyone here for helping figure out a solution to this issue!
I tried this method with no success. I did deviate a bit though that may have been the problem. I couldn't figure out how to rename the AppleHDA.kext file so I copied it to the desktop, renamed it as AppleHDA.kext.bak and dragged it back into the Extra/Mini9Ext folder and then deleted the AppleHDA.kext file. Would this be problematic? If so how can I rename the file?

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett89 View Post
DSDT would never recompile, there is a version someone posted in this thread to download, its worked at 10.6.2 for me and 10.6.7.
Extra and Extra.bak are two different things, first time it ended with me doing a reinstall. I was completely new to OS X, last Mac I used personally ran OS 7.5.5. This most recent install, it took about 5 minutes. Doing it a few times has helped.

32GB Runcore
NBI Special 0.8.4
Thanks brett89, that actually helped a lot! I was able to get the mic working but lost speakers when it would wake from sleep. I like the sleep function and the speakers so now I'm on a mission to fix that issue. I read that others have had success using a similar method that wouldn't disable speakers on waking but haven't been able to get it working yet. 1st attempt was crash and burn. Looks like another clean install is in my future...

Dell Mini 9 - OS X 10.6.7 - 16GB Runcore HDD - 2 GB RAM
  (#66) Old

Default 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM

I've discovered that my actual 10.6.7 system was screwed up somehow and this fix only led to crashes and KP, but when restoring an early backup image of the same system (without much apps installed), it worked following this advice, regarding the places where to put the kexts:
AppleHDA.kext >>> /Extra/Mini9Ext/
ALC268.kext >>> /Extra/AdditionalExtensions
then run UpdateExtra application.

I'm not sure if it's a global solution (maybe it would have worked anyhow with that backup image), but it worked, so... :-)

What I can say is that on the system where it wasn't working I had installed ProTools and there was no other sound interface appearing in the sound pref panel, that may also be an issue.
  (#67) Old

Default Not to necrothread, but... - 07-03-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aargl View Post
I've discovered that my actual 10.6.7 system was screwed up somehow and this fix only led to crashes and KP, but when restoring an early backup image of the same system (without much apps installed), it worked following this advice, regarding the places where to put the kexts:
AppleHDA.kext >>> /Extra/Mini9Ext/
ALC268.kext >>> /Extra/AdditionalExtensions
then run UpdateExtra application.

I'm not sure if it's a global solution (maybe it would have worked anyhow with that backup image), but it worked, so... :-)

What I can say is that on the system where it wasn't working I had installed ProTools and there was no other sound interface appearing in the sound pref panel, that may also be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett89 View Post

32GB Runcore
NBI Special 0.8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsu543 View Post
Awesome! Glad it worked for you as well.
To some of the more knowledgeable folks on this board. I am writing this now, on my once again functioning Mini 9. I had a completely updated Mini (10.6.8.1) and some of the apps I need already installed and I was ready to count it as a win...

Until my girlfriend told me she wanted me to get the mic to work so that she could Skype with it. We have twin machines, so mine is naturally the guinea pig and after two unsuccessful attempts to install the mic fix (the last one resulting in a terrible boot loop), I'm back to the same spot I was at before. Which again is a fully functioning system, minus the internal mic. I'd like to know if there are any tips on getting this to work, as I'm leary of dealing with another Time Machine restore fiasco. Thanks in advance.
  (#68) Old

Default 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki View Post
The mini 9, at least with all stock Snow Leopard installs, has a few sound issues. The simplest solution is to buy a USB headset w/ mic. But if you want decent sound out and a working built in mic you can use the bundle I've collected here. The bundle includes the distilled notes and software, that have been posted on various sites (w/ credits) and can be performed in just a few minutes once you've got the hang of it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
Akki,

View the message right before this one. Do you have any advice for someone who has tried seemingly all other suggestions. Or does 10.6.8 just break something?

2X Mini 9: Red | OS X 10.6.8 | 2GB RAM | 32GB SuperTalent SSD | 1.3MP | BT |
  (#69) Old

Default 07-24-2012, 07:21 PM

i have mini 9 with 16gb and 2gb, 10.6 (plain) and everything is working ok, except sleep maybe and of course internal mic.

What is the easiest, sure fire way for me to get the internal mic working?
Thanks much in advance.
  (#70) Old

Default Inspiron 910 - 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM

This is for everybody on 10.6.8 on the Dellmini 9 and want a working mic. Use the bundle on the #1 post and follow these extra instructions:

Do everything it says in the INSTALL.txt, apply the patches to the DSDT.aml, copy the kexts…etc and Stop at step 9) and do this:

Copy UpdateExtra out of /Extra/ to the Desktop. On the Desktop right click on the UpdateExtra and select show package contents. Then go to Contents/Resources/SupportFiles. Edit machine.plist. Replace "Inspiron 910" (after the Model name key) with the name found at About This Mac -> More Info -> Model Identifier (mine is MacBook4,1).

Looks like this:

<key>Dell Mini 9</key>
<dict>
<key>Support Files</key>
<string>Dell Mini 9</string>
<key>Extensions Directory</key>
<string>Mini9Ext</string>
<key>Model Name</key>
<string>Inspiron 910</string> <-------- replace this with MacBook4,1
<key>Long Name</key>
<string>Dell Mini 9</string>
<key>Bluetooth Vendor ID</key>
<integer>16700</integer>
<key>Bluetooth Device ID</key>
<integer>688</integer>
<key>EFI Strings</key>
<dict/>

Then save and exit and replace the /Extra/UpdateExtra with the one on the desktop.

Then run it, wait a long time when its done reboot. Mic will work.

Thats it! Hope this helped anybody...

Dell Mini 9 | A07 BIOS | 16GB Runcore | 2 GB RAM | MAC OS X 10.6.8 |