Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old

Default Boot-up question for reinstall - 05-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Hi, I'm going to do a fresh install of XP Pro when my mini comes in. After I install my runcore 32GB, what should be the next steps to start the installation of xp pro? Should I put the battery back, plug in my external cd/dvd drive, then boot up xp pro installation? Oh yeah, what is the shortcut to boot from an external cd/dvd drive and when do I press it?

Thanks!
b
  (#2) Old

Smile 05-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me. The shortcut to boot a different device, I believe is F10. You can also change the BIOS to boot CDROM first then the SSD so you don't have to hit a key everytime to boot.

Enjoy your new RunCore SSD! I am jealous!

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 / Custom XP Pro SP3 / 2GB Mushkin RAM / 4GB Stock SSD / Mini BT USB Dongle / 16GB Class 6 SDHC
  (#3) Old

Default 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanx View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me. The shortcut to boot a different device, I believe is F10. You can also change the BIOS to boot CDROM first then the SSD so you don't have to hit a key everytime to boot.

Enjoy your new RunCore SSD! I am jealous!
Thanks! I'll pretty much never have a cdrom connected to my mini except when installing a few programs. So, if I change the bootup priority on the bios, will that slow down the bootup process since it will look at the ext cdrom first or will it be so quick anyway that it doesn't really matter?