Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#11) Old

Default 03-19-2011, 10:31 PM

You are right about testing everything before you commit to it. And while we 1010 owners might not have as many choices as other mini owners (especially when it comes to Linux) we still have a good selection to keep us interested.

I think you are making a good move by switching to 10.04. Ubuntu will support it for a year longer than 10.10. I am going to also keep my USB drive with 9.10 on it until drivers for it are no longer available and it quits working. But between 10.04, 9.10, Joli 1.2 and XP (and you also have Win7) I think we have enough to keep the MIni 10 humming along.

The truth of the matter is as long as the OS and the programs you have do what you want to do with a computer then you're in good shape. I use Linux on line mostly because of its resistance to malware and viruses. But the fact that Linux cannot do anything that you can't do with Windows or Apple's OS is going to always hinder the acceptance of Linux.

Getting a little better with Joli 1.2; but still have some learning to do. I downloaded using the Terminal (Alt-F1) the Gui frontend to the video player (smplayer). But it said to look in the Local Aps section to click on it to install the program. Guest what; there is no local aps section on my Joli install. I have a featured apps; a My apps and web apps; but no local apps. Not sure what to do next. But I'll keep looking. fdalbor

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#12) Old

Default 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi guys. I'm back to report my experiences with Ubuntu 9.10. It did not detect my wireless card for whatever reason so I'm back to give Joli 1.2 a second chance. It still isn't working to my satisfaction, but acceptable. Here are my second views about it:

PROS:
- Small and lightweight OS. Most apps work in the cloud, so they work as fast as your internet connection.
- OS is viewable and has some customization from any Chrome browser with the JoliOS Extension.
- Chrome settings, bookmarks and extensions are sync'd if Chrome is your primary browser on other OS's.
- It's a rare Linux OS that supports the rare Dell Mini 1010 and the GMA500 video card.

CONS:
- Since it is a cloud-based OS, it isn't very useful without an internet connection. Locally installed apps like OpenOffice and VLC Media Player can be used, though.
- Slow to boot. Boot time is the same or slower than Windows 7 Starter.
- I can't wake it up from sleep mode. Hibernate and Suspend don't work consistently. Sometimes I get a "Swap file" error and it hangs, or I just get a frozen black screen. If these would work, the boot/wake time would at least improve.
- Because of the previous con, the battery life significantly suffers if I walk away and leave it idle.
- Flash on YouTube didn't work at first. I mentioned this on my first post. After the fix, Flash video is choppy on some websites that run smoother on Win 7.

OTHER THOUGHTS:
The main reason why I wanted to use Ubuntu or JoliCloud is to (1) increase boot time and (2) to free up the 1010's limited system resources that Win7 needs for antivirus/malware protection. The cons are outweighing the pros at this point. Fortunately, the JoliOS developers are usually responsive to user issues. My wife is using the 1010 primarily. So far, she notices no improvements over Win7 but is willing to give it a try for a while longer.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdalbor View Post
JOli 1.2 is hard to figure out. I have mixed feelings about it. It seems limited in some ways like it was made for only cloud computing. I did get my dropbox installed and working. And there are a lot of apps available for it. But it seems you are limited to the apps they provide; but then again I am not sure of that.
Since most of the apps are really shortcuts to internet websites, version 1.2 allows you to create your own shortcuts and be displayed alongside your other "apps". To do this, click on the green "+" at the top left corner and click on the "Add New App" green button on the bottom left.

Other than that, you are limited to what is available in their web app store for locally stored apps.
  (#13) Old

Default 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM

sc0rpio: 9.10 wireless works for me, but u need to add the broadcom driver from the hardware update menu, then u have the options to enable or disable ur wifi. I think u can have a good experience usin 10.10 or 10.04 both works good.

And i agree with your comments,now i use Joli when i connect to publics wifi.
For the moment i still running windows 7, but without antivirus, cuz that kills the pc, the only good one is Nod antivirus,cuz is more light than the others.

anyways, nice you share ur info and what you think testing ur OS on the MINI good work =P.

Komadosse

Dell Mini 1010 Atom Z530,160 hd,BEAUTIFUL GMA 500
Desktop:AMD Black Series 7750 x2, Ati hd 5770 DDR5 1gb, Thermaltake Case Wingrs, 4gb ram.
OS:win 7, ubuntu 9.10, ubuntu 10.10, and keep testing other OS
Twitter:@gbarrav feel free to add my twitter and share or ask info about mini 1010
  (#14) Old

Default 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM

sc0rpio the thing with Ubuntu; no matter if it is 9.10, 10.04 or 10.10 it is a hit or miss thing. Sometimes I have to try three for four different installs before I get where every thing works. Especially wifi. I can't give you a reason why; but its a fact. Several other people will tell you the same thing. I run all of them from either SD cards or USB flash drives only having XP on my hard drive. I do that to protect XP from being corrupted and me having to reinstall and start from scratch again. That has happened three or four times in the past two years.

I give up some boot time and some speed when loading aps; but its well worth the peace of mind. Right now my main Linux is Ubuntu 10.04 which works very well. But it took me awhile to get it that way. Ask komadosse and I am sure he will confirm this. I enjoy using Joli 1.2 and I think I will stick with it.

As far as finding a virus apt that won't slow your mini to a crawl (with XP or Win7) try Avast. You can download it from the download section of Cnet. Its really good and is light as they come.

Don't give up on Joli 1.2. I think these guys have something that is only going to get better and better. Not that I plan on dumping XP or Ubuntu; but then you can have all of them and get the best benifits from each. Aint this fun. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#15) Old

Default 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Well, a little bad news for my 1010. It has been replaced by an iPad. I'm debating whether to keep the 1010 as an HTPC since it has HDMI or craigslist/eBay it.

I noticed the other day that it does wake from sleep...just really slowly. It take about 5 minutes to wake up from sleep. About the same as a cold boot.
  (#16) Old

Default 03-27-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0rpio View Post
Well, a little bad news for my 1010. It has been replaced by an iPad. I'm debating whether to keep the 1010 as an HTPC since it has HDMI or craigslist/eBay it.

I noticed the other day that it does wake from sleep...just really slowly. It take about 5 minutes to wake up from sleep. About the same as a cold boot.
Sorry to hear that; but if the iPad makes you happy then its a good move. One of the guys that works for me has one and he likes it; but he has problems with the fact it does not support flash and he cannot use many of the sites he uses as they run on flash. Also the lack of a USB port is a problem for him.

He also has a Aspire One (Gma500, Z530, etc, but with a 11.6 inch screen); very similar to the 1010. I find he uses the Aspire One alot more than the iPad but that may just be his likes and dislikes. Might want to hang on to the 1010 until you are sure the iPad is a fit for you. Good luck with you new purchase. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#17) Old

Default 04-05-2011, 09:40 PM

I am not sure; but Joli 1.2 just got alot more interesting. The system auto updates every time you are on line and when I logged on today I found I had two extra folders on the second page of my dashboard. One labeled local apps and the other local settings.

If guest the auto update part of the system added them to my system. Anyway there are all kinds of new programs and new tools to use to update the look and feel of the system. I cannot tell how much it has improved the applied usage of the Joli 1.2 on the 1010.

And all of it works within the confines of the GMA 500 graphics of the 1010. Joli has just jumped ahead of Ubuntu 10.04 as my favorite Linux. Heck I might even start using it more thaln XP.

If you have not tried Joli 1.2 before I highly recommend it now. Even if you don't have a 1010. I am eyeballing one of my desktops and thinking hard I might make it a Joli system also. Also alot of the new stuff that was added is straight from Ubuntu. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64
  (#18) Old

Default 04-10-2011, 02:07 AM

fdalbor great news, upload a picture of ur desktop! im curious! XD

Dell Mini 1010 Atom Z530,160 hd,BEAUTIFUL GMA 500
Desktop:AMD Black Series 7750 x2, Ati hd 5770 DDR5 1gb, Thermaltake Case Wingrs, 4gb ram.
OS:win 7, ubuntu 9.10, ubuntu 10.10, and keep testing other OS
Twitter:@gbarrav feel free to add my twitter and share or ask info about mini 1010
  (#19) Old

Wink 04-10-2011, 04:30 PM

Just as soon as I get back to my mini. With the new addition you can add any apt that is available to Ubuntu to Joli 1.2. by going to the add aps folder.

To get the local aps folder and local setting folder added to your dashboard just use ctrl shift F10 and Joli will update your system and clean it also getting rid of any files you no longer need. It helps keep your system clean and uncluttered and keeps your file space at a max it can be. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

Last edited by fdalbor; 04-10-2011 at 04:35 PM.
  (#20) Old

Default 04-24-2011, 11:15 PM

Guys to contribute on this topic even though I already made a 29 dollars investment on SL, I find Joli 1.2 useful as my main desktop. For work, CiscoAnyconnect SSL VPN works good with Remmina RDPclient. Once in a while I play DVD (via Totem movieplayer) Netflix and Hulu for entertainment (2 to 3 hours/week). Bill paying over the Internet, watching/reading news and forums and also I find TED very interesting.

For killing time (relaxing), games like Space Invader, Canabalt and Atari Centipede are not bad.

I placed "Applications" "Places" "System" on the upper left hand of my gnome panel and I find them useful.

I am leaving MS because I am really tired of paying subscription on AV (Already tried BD, McAfee and Symantec for netbook) and killed the little guy (Atom) potential.

Now the only three things that I will be missing from Windows environment are;

1. The taskbar for easily launching/hiding/minimizing programs
2. Find the way to update my Firefox elegantly. From 3.6.14 to Version 4
3. Change the network card settings either via a gui or command line.

Other than that I think this OS is worth the look.

BTW for you guys to have a working DVD player, I did the ff two commands

tik@jolicloud:~$ sudo apt-get install libdvdread4
tik@jolicloud:~$ sudo apt-get install totem-xine libxine1-ffmpeg

I used to own 1010 and it is OK and I sold it. Now what I'm wishing is to go explore and be comfortable with OS-Ten on my Lat-2100

Tik

XPS-1340 Merlot | C2D-p8700 3 Gig | 1510N-wifi | 9500g SLI | 3 Gig RAM | Crap -HL-DT-DVD gs20n | => donate=given away.
Lat2100 | Yellow | 320-40G-g3 ssd | 1366x768 | 1397b/g | 2 Gig | 6-Cell | Got back from Ell
Mini9 - 1 Gig 16 gig SSD OSX10.6.3 to 10.6.7-unstable so_now_10.6.8 Very nice.

hack+, re-use+, recycl+, donate+

Last edited by tikblang; 04-24-2011 at 11:25 PM.