Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default Mini 1010 and JOLI 1.2 OS Testing - 03-10-2011, 09:52 PM

All we know Jolicloud and the support for GMA 500. Now im testing las distro 1.2 and works very good, as always im testing in a SD Card 8GB.
Im guess if u can use ppa or other respos on Joli┤s Terminal like in ubuntu, for get better performance in the video.

Dell Mini 1010 Atom Z530,160 hd,BEAUTIFUL GMA 500
Desktop:AMD Black Series 7750 x2, Ati hd 5770 DDR5 1gb, Thermaltake Case Wingrs, 4gb ram.
OS:win 7, ubuntu 9.10, ubuntu 10.10, and keep testing other OS
Twitter:@gbarrav feel free to add my twitter and share or ask info about mini 1010
  (#2) Old

Default 03-10-2011, 11:17 PM

Jolicloud has a few issues with video; but they (like ubuntu) have a few tricks to try and get better video performance and they also have a GUI front end to their video player.

Keep us informed as to how you are progressing with your testing of it on your 1010. I am still running 1.0; but would like to try a more up to date version. I am running 1.0 in live mode but Linux LIve does not support saving files with Jolicloud.

How did you install it to your SD card; did you use a USB installer or a direct install to the SD card from the downloaded file. fdalbor

I have a nice new 16gig USB stick that would be a nice home for Jolicloud. Last time I tried a direct install to it the distro did not take and I had to reformat it. But I would not mind trying to get Jolicloud or Joli OS on it.

Dell Mini 1010 XP--10.04/Mandriva One/Joli 1.2
Compaq R4000 laptop AMD 64
Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

Last edited by fdalbor; 03-10-2011 at 11:21 PM.
  (#3) Old

Default 03-11-2011, 01:47 AM

Fdalbor as always thks for the answers, and yes, i used the Jolicloud USB Creator, boot the mini with the usb, and go to install option, when is starting insert the SD card. if u start with sd and joli usb at same time dont work. The good thing is the installation process is very faster but i feel a bit poor performance on the OS. At the begins looks when u install ubuntu and is in the low graphic options, u can see it when windows get minimized and u see the small lines making a square (when minimize).

Other good thing is wifi drivers works perfect at first install.
Problem:

1-low performance with gma500 (preinstalled drivers)
2-bright keys dont work

i think we need to play a bit with Joli to have a better performance.

Komadosse

Twitter:@gbarrav for everybody who wanna add and share info (MINI 1010)

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Video Settings on Joli 1.2 as u see all disable.

Desktop:AMD Black Series 7750 x2, Ati hd 5770 DDR5 1gb, Thermaltake Case Wingrs, 4gb ram.
Twitter:@gbarrav feel free to add my twitter and share or ask info about mini 1010

Last edited by komadosse; 03-11-2011 at 02:02 AM.
  (#4) Old

Default 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM

I tried v1.2 on a USB yesterday. Wifi and video work. Ethernet port doesn't work. Not a high priority but need a fix. You tube was not showing video, only audio. After a search, you need to open a flash game like space invaders > right click > and disable hardware acceleration. Restart, and You Tube video works.

Still not ready for a partition install on my HD yet...

...Going to try Ubuntu 9.10 now...

Last edited by sc0rpio; 03-14-2011 at 08:09 PM.
  (#5) Old

Default 03-14-2011, 11:15 PM

I've got Jolicloud installed on my 1010 along with XP. The main features that I am missing within Jolicloud are the ability to play local videos the ability to go full screen on any videos streaming or local.

Local videos played using VLC have audio but no video, and local videos played using SMPlayer have both but the video is very jittery.

Anyone have a fix for this? I'd love to make Jolicloud my only netbook OS but being able to watch videos is essential.

Last edited by boggis; 03-15-2011 at 02:00 AM.
  (#6) Old

Default 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM

My ethernet port works perfect with Joli, but im sad with the poor performance of gma500.
If u wanna try ubuntu, i recomend 10.10 works very good.
KomadossE

(#7) Old

Default 03-15-2011, 10:57 PM

Hi Komadosse; I finally got joli 1.2 installed to my 16gig USB drive. Its been working pretty well; but video's do seem like they are a problem. I found they played better when I was running 1.0 in live mode. I don't think they did a very good job of transfering the support for GMA 500 graphics to the last two updates 1.1 and 1.2.

I do have a question and you might be able to answer it. One of the first things I did was add Firefox to my dashboard. Trouble is I accidentlly clicked the X on the top left of the box around the icon for the application. It was deleted.But now I can't find it anywhere to reinstall it. I went ahead and deleted several other applications (VLC player, Space invaders etc) and they all appeared in the apps add on section so I could reinstall them. But no sign of Firefox. I even clicked the all apps button and went down the list from top to bottom; all 106 pages. But Firefox is not to be found. Any ideas. I am not a big Chrome fan and much prefer Firefox. fdalbor

I have found that hulu videos do play just fine by using the hulu apt on the dashboard.

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

Last edited by fdalbor; 03-15-2011 at 11:50 PM.
  (#8) Old

Default 03-17-2011, 02:11 AM

Fdalbor u caught me!!!! jolicloud is a mistery for me,i did the same like u i deleted a lot of progs on dashboard, u should try a reinstall cuz i really dunno where to find the apps when u delete from dashboar =/.

I agree with you, joli 1.2 runs very poor with gma500. like my first post all video options are disable.

now im using win7 with aero enable and all works good =P.

I forgot, Fdalbor, did u heard about EMGD drivers for ubuntu?? i heard on ubuntu 10.10 runs very good, any idea?

C ya. Komadosse

Last edited by komadosse; 03-17-2011 at 02:32 AM.
  (#9) Old

Default 03-17-2011, 08:56 PM

I have decided to stick with 10.04 for the time being because of the long term support. I have gotten it to work very well and am happy with it. It will be supported by Ubuntu all the way until 2013 while 10.10 stops being supported next year. That means Ubuntu will keep drivers for Gma 500 uptodate for the older 10.04.
If you have 10.10 clicking I would stick with it until they get one of the 11's working well with GMA 500. Yes I have heard of the EMGD drivers but have not tried them yet. I still have XP on my hard drive and am very satisfied with it also. When I do move to Win7 it will be with another netbook that was made for Win7. Much the same as the 1010 was made for XP.

JOli 1.2 is hard to figure out. I have mixed feelings about it. It seems limited in some ways like it was made for only cloud computing. I did get my dropbox installed and working. And there are a lot of apps available for it. But it seems you are limited to the apps they provide; but then again I am not sure of that.

As I have it installed to a 16gig USB drive (not my hard drive)I am going to keep it and keep working with it. Not sure where it will lead; but then who knows; maybe they know something we don't; and the price is right. As long as they support the GMA 500 graphics (even if its not perfect), I will continue to experiment with it. Do you still have it installed to your SD card.

Glad to see you are having a good time with your 1010; you are right Win7 runs fine on it. Take care old friend. fdalbor

I went into the history and found where I had deleted Firefox and right clicked it and it gave me the option of reinstalling it again. Guest what; worked like a charm and Firefox is back. Still Joli 1.2 is going to take some getting used to. fdalbor

Compaq SR2034NX AMD 64

Last edited by fdalbor; 03-17-2011 at 10:18 PM.
  (#10) Old

Default 03-18-2011, 04:20 AM

eyeye my Joli 1.2 still lives on my sd card and works fine, even when the performance is not perfect, works good i have to say it. Totally agree i want to play a bit more with joli cuz is a very interesting OS, in future all OS gonna be in the cloud im sure of that! jejeje and the apps runs and works great!!! course some apps have few problems like flickr, etc but all others runs perfect.

Yes me too im thinking in change my netbook,but cant find a good one. I was looking for dell latitude (10") looks good, but i dunno yet.

and i think im gonna move to ubuntu 10.04 like you Fdalbor! lol and i wanna try the emgd drivers, i readed in spanish forum a good feelings with this driver, but dunno, i think is necesary test it .

anyways glad to see the forum have movement, i try to check it all days and see hows minis converts in a lab and testing device! =P
CHAO CHAO =p!!
KomadossE