Dell Mini 1012 Discussion forum on the new 2010 Dell Mini 1012, featuring an Intel Atom N450 CPU.

(#1) Old

Default Standby Issue After Format - 09-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I have the power management settings on my 1012 set so that when I close the lid it goes into Standby mode. Prior to formatting the 1012, it would wake right back up either once I open the lid or when I open the lid and press any button - not too sure right now which one it was but basically it would wake up.

After formatting the 1012 with the OS disk that came with it, I can't wake it up from Standby mode - I press all the buttons, even the power button, and nothing happens. I have to press and hold the power button to simply turn it off so I can restart it.

I think I read in other threads about disabling/enabling the legacy USB and the USB wake in the BIOS - I messed around with different setting and both don't solve this. Does this even apply to the 1012?

Also in the BIOS, the SATA setting is set to ATA instead of AHCI. Does this have anything to do with it? Prior to the format, this was set to AHCI. Now I have to keep it at ATA or else I get a BSOD upon startup. Is this the cause?

Is there a special driver that's the cause of this? Perhaps I forgot to install a certain driver? It's not one of the Dell application drivers is it?

Please help.

Thank you!!
  (#2) Old

Default 09-12-2010, 07:13 PM

Problem solved.
  (#3) Old

Default 09-13-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
Problem solved.
Great! Explain how so others can learn from your experience.
  (#4) Old

Default 09-13-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Also in the BIOS, the SATA setting is set to ATA instead of AHCI. Does this have anything to do with it? Prior to the format, this was set to AHCI. Now I have to keep it at ATA or else I get a BSOD upon startup. Is this the cause?
This is the cause of my problem. Prior to the format, this setting was set to AHCI. I installed Windows XP using a flash drive, but in order for me to do that, I had to change this setting from AHCI to ATA. After the installation was complete, I HAD to leave the setting on ATA or else I would get the BSOD upon startup.

After doing some research on AHCI, I read that the setting in the BIOS had to be AHCI or else the netbook will not wake up from Standby.

The AHCI drivers are on the Dell website, but installation of the drivers however, were not so straightforward like the others. See this website on how to install the AHCI drivers after a Windows XP installation:

My Tech Blog: Enabling SATA Native Mode after XP Install

Once you have the driver installed correctly, restart the comp and change the SATA settings in the BIOS to AHCI. You shouldn't get the BSOD now upon startup. Once Windows XP confirms installation of the device, you should be all set. The 1012 finally wakes up from Standby again!!

Hope this can be of use to people.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-14-2010, 05:13 AM

Very Nice Explanation! But why XP?
  (#6) Old

Default 09-14-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspears View Post
Very Nice Explanation! But why XP?
Well the only reason is because that's what came with the netbook when I purchased it. I wanted a clean install and since it came with XP, I decided to keep using it.
  (#7) Old

Default 09-15-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Well the only reason is because that's what came with the netbook when I purchased it. I wanted a clean install and since it came with XP, I decided to keep using it.
If you get the chance you might try Win7 Home Premium. It's light years ahead of XP in many ways and in my opinion takes the netbook to a whole new level.

Of course that's my opinion and you'll get a different one from everybody you talk to.

Anyway, enjoy your netbook and thanks for the info!
  (#8) Old

Default Saved my bacon... - 11-11-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
- You, thrillhouse, are my personal Hero For The Day. You rock...
  (#9) Old

Default no standby without reboot - 11-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnorok View Post
- You, thrillhouse, are my personal Hero For The Day. You rock...
Hi there,
Sorry to bother you all with this but it's a verry frustrating issue for me. My 2 month old 1012 mini came with windows 7 and IE8. I had a friend load xp professional and IE 7 for me since it is required for some work related web sites that don't work with IE8. All is well except for the problem you experienced after you xp install. My friend says "just set it to "always on" and don't worry about it" I'm a car guy and that's kinda like saying "Just leave it idling when your not driving -It'll be OK".
I'm fairly computer savvy but your repair for what I think may be the some problem looks a little complex for me. Would you have time to give me little more detailed walk thru of the repair as I am not familiar with some of the terms referred to in the repair.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. If you want to call instead of email my number is 813-503-4375.

Thanks again,

Ed O