Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#11) Old

Default 08-29-2009, 04:48 PM

Pardon for the newbie (to OSX, anyway) questions,but:

1) Where do I find the kext file and what is it called?
2) Is there a site with a how-to for installing kext files?
3) Is the mirror friendly kext compatible with the A05 bios?

As long as I have your attention, does OSX use codec files? If so, are they the same as those for Windows? I read somewhere that the DM9 video performance was improved substantially by installing a different codec.

Thanks.
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 08-29-2009, 06:21 PM

To answer your questions about the kext... DellEFI and NetbookInstaller both have an option to install the "old" video kext. Simply run the app and check that box!

Macs use codecs to play files just like Windows and Linux. I would highly recommend Perian, which is a codec pack for Quicktime. It works amazingly

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | osx.mechdrew.com -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#13) Old

Default 09-01-2009, 02:17 AM

Got a working Mini9 10.5.8. External screen with same problem as listed.

When I rerun DellEFI, what boxes in addition to "Install old mirror friendly GMA kext" are necessary to check?

Don't want to break the working great setup I have.

Thanks
  (#14) Old

Default 09-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Just check the install dell mini 9 extensions and the mirror friendly kext and you should be all good to go.

~Danny
  (#15) Old

Default 09-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannylivi View Post
Just check the install dell mini 9 extensions and the mirror friendly kext and you should be all good to go.

~Danny
Is the mirror friendly kext enough or do we also have to downgrade the bios to A04? BTW, what do we lose by these downgrades?
  (#16) Old

Default 09-02-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannylivi View Post

~Danny
Perfect. Thanks. External monitor working great.
  (#17) Old
Expert Member

Default 09-03-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmurvin View Post
Is the mirror friendly kext enough or do we also have to downgrade the bios to A04? BTW, what do we lose by these downgrades?
I've been using Vostro BIOS A04 which is the same as the mini9 BIOS A05 and the mirror friendly kexts for a 2 months or so. That means no reason to downgrade the BIOS.

There is a thread here somewhere that lists what each BIOS revision does but I think the major things are F11 and F12 and 'improved' battery monitoring. The updated battery code pretty much kills any 3rd party battery so if you use one you'd need to downgrade to A04 anyway.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral