Dell Mini 1010 Forum for all discussion and support on the first revision of the Dell Mini 10, the Dell Inspiron Mini 1010.

(#1) Old

Default United Airlines - Powering a Mini 10 ? - 09-13-2010, 11:33 PM

Hi

I'm gonna be flying from London to NC in October. I was hoping I could use my 1012 netbook but I noticed they have something called a EmPower® DC outlet. What exactly is it and will I need a special adapter to use it bearing in mind I'm from the UK ?.

Also do they have those 2-hole earphone sockets or the standard 3.5mm ?.

Thanks,
Marcus
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 09-13-2010, 11:51 PM

EmPower is a special socket designed for use on airplanes. You will need an EmPower adapter but it could be as simple as a cord. Often, universal AC/Air adapters include an EmPower cord - the Kensington model I have does. You should be able to check your local shop that specializes in computer accessories for these.

Are you flying in Business or First Class? United doesn't tend to offer power in Economy. On some of their planes, such as the 767 I flew last month from London to DC, there is a 120V AC receptacle, though it is recessed and the adapter from my Mini 9 did not work without inserting a small travel adapter in series.

The headphone jacks are standard 3.5mm.

Check out seatguru.com for all the details on power (and choosing a good seat.)

Steve
  (#3) Old

Default 09-13-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
EmPower is a special socket designed for use on airplanes. You will need an EmPower adapter but it could be as simple as a cord. Often, universal AC/Air adapters include an EmPower cord - the Kensington model I have does. You should be able to check your local shop that specializes in computer accessories for these.

Are you flying in Business or First Class? United doesn't tend to offer power in Economy. On some of their planes, such as the 767 I flew last month from London to DC, there is a 120V AC receptacle, though it is recessed and the adapter from my Mini 9 did not work without inserting a small travel adapter in series.

The headphone jacks are standard 3.5mm.

Check out seatguru.com for all the details on power (and choosing a good seat.)
I'm gonna be in economy, so never mind I guess lol
  (#4) Old

Default 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Flown from Los Angeles to London (and back) many times on United in economy class. There is no power available in economy class.
  (#5) Old

Default 09-14-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akajack View Post
Flown from Los Angeles to London (and back) many times on United in economy class. There is no power available in economy class.
Thanks for confirming !!